TLZone Forums banner

advice needed

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  jagboy1 
#1 ·
i was going down the motorway at a reasonably speed ;) only doing 80 and the bike bogged so i let off the throttle and then applied it again and it seemed to clear, about 100 yards further and it did it again but then dropped from 6000 revs to a 1000 and then cut out. by the time it cut out i was already on the hard shoulder so i switched it off then on again to see if it was electrical but no warning lights came on so i tried to start it again and i really didn't sound good. to me it sounded like the valves were smashing. now it wont even turn over. i can here the relay clicking but thats all i get. ive stripped it down and taken the plugs out then tried to bump it with no compression to see if the engine was seized and the was nothing it still didnt turn over. there was definatly oil in cos ive just drained it. my theory is the cam chain has snapped and the timing has gone and its smashed the valves, any ideas pls tell. i cant take it to the garage because im skint

#2 ·
Hi mate :)

There's a heck of a lot of knowledgeable types on here who are friendly too :) I'll hazard a guess myself at this but others will be along soon I'm sure who will probably be able to give a better account of your engine's issues.

There have been issues that I know of from here of cam follower buckets cracking and breaking up. That'd be my guess mate I'm afraid. Like I say, there will be others along soon but perhaps a quick compression test will let you know which cylinder is affected?

Good luck mate but dont give up, always a way around these problems :)

#3 ·
If it is the cam buckets it's easy to check by removing the cam cover.
I've never heard of the cam chains snapping.

#6 ·
But you have heard a couple of buckets shattering Andy :lol

Mine made a lot of top end clattering when it dropped a valve. Sparky has a head with seriously smashed up valves and if one of the drops into the cylinder it will stop the engine turning over

#5 ·
Did you find any metal bits in the oil when you drained it ? .. . Pull the cam covers and have a look .. if your not sure what to look for,take some good pics and post em up ... It could also be an electrical problem ...possibly a charging issue... If you want to turn the motor over by hand remove the plug in the center of the generator cover and use a socket to turn it clockwise .. . Keep us posted

#7 ·
Classic signs of a Spun rod bearing :banghead

#11 ·
Well there you go dude :banghead

#8 ·
cheers for the feedback guys since then ive taken the plugs out and turn the engine by hand and it does turn it goes through first compression but the second cylinder is serously hard to get through compression, it does go through but with alot of force. if i turn the engine by hand and then try turning the bike over it does slightly and then seams to jam up again. is this the signs of what u were saying sam. if so is there anyone near by who could fix it for me. ive alsdo check the starter motor which is fine, replaced the battery, checked all the fuses and cleaned the earthing points if theres anything else i can check pls tell cheers again :)

#12 ·
Oh bloody hell :( Really sorry to hear that mate - check out the 'FOR SALE' area on here, ya never know! :thumbup May be while you've got the engine apart, any chance of fixing it? That's what I did when the crank got bent, £600 worth of parts later (£175 for the crank) and I had an engine that had all the tolerances checked, and the reason I kept it! :banana

#13 ·
get the crank repaired dude.....:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.