Frame question - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Frame question

If I sit on the bike its on the left hand side, you will have to remove the front fairings to see it, I was told about the possibility of a cracked frame before I decided to get my hands on one, the rear damper mounts are fine on mine I checked it over and over after finding the one near the head stock, this is a pic of a similar crack

Frame question-image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jd91 View Post
    If I sit on the bike its on the left hand side, you will have to remove the front fairings to see it, I was told about the possibility of a cracked frame before I decided to get my hands on one, the rear damper mounts are fine on mine I checked it over and over after finding the one near the head stock, this is a pic of a similar crack 👍

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	40674
    Had the same kind of cracks, Suzuki replaced the frame.
    Welding the cast section is tricky and needs heat treatment like Suzuki does. Don't know of any TLzone members who had that section repaired. So it would be a nono for me.

I'm sure insurance lawyers know how to destroy the welding.

So it would be a nono for me.
    '97 Racing Green TLS since '99 Bruised and beaten, now black with '98 TLS cases, frame, oilpump, clutch, shift-fork-guides, secondary shaft etc.
    '99 White/blue TLR since '02 now yellow track toy with Sebimoto, Öhlins rear, Mavic Penta's, Complete rear-end hacksaw GXSR mod, Rooske front end upgrade (linear springs), ZX12 six-pots, Goodridge hoses, brembo rear brake & pump.

there is no recall notice against the frames - the recall is for the damper only.
    You can make a claim of faulty goods for a frame or a tank but you may not necessarily win that claim. Some do, some don't.
    Perhaps forum members who successfully made such claims could post up and tell us how they succeeded where others have failed...............
    Red, the ONLY Colour.....for a 1997 TLS.....
    (1) Sold the old girl now ....... she will be missed...

(2) UNO frame & swinger with 1040 Bimota (aka TLR) engine running 17x40 teeth, Hydraulic clutch conversion, Billet wndowed clutch cover & cut plate spinner, Dunlop tyres, PC3, TLS bodywork, GSXR750-TT forks with custom Wilbers springs etc, Nissin brake calipers all round, front ones radial, radial Nissin clutch & brake masters, GSXR1000 K5 clocks, PVM lightweight wheels, LED lights all round, Full Yoshi exhaust system, Carbon cans, Yoshi rearsets, K&N air filter, Wilbers custom rear shock, Custom paint job. Skidmarx bellypan, Low profile rear seat hump, MotoX bars, all round (literally) nice guy.

(3) Bog standard BMW R1150RT.

(4) Boxes of many parts waiting to be made into 2 more TLS's.

Workshop in Welham Green near Hatfield in Hertfordshire - TEKMOTIVE - 01707 265000 - www.tekmotive.co.uk.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckshop Ted View Post
    there is no recall notice against the frames - the recall is for the damper only.
    You can make a claim of faulty goods for a frame or a tank but you may not necessarily win that claim. Some do, some don't.
    Perhaps forum members who successfully made such claims could post up and tell us how they succeeded where others have failed...............
    Well, it's a while ago in 2000 when Suzuki hadn't forgotten about twins yet. Just brought the frame to the dealer who sent it to the importer, and as I've been told it was shipped to Japan for further examination. Got a brand spanking new frame in a plastic bag. That's all. Sorry for the crack picture not being too sharp from the era of filmrolls. Was already happy with a printed date on the picture. As you can see it took about 6 weeks for Suzuki to figure it out and send things forth and back. It took me about two weekends and an unknown quantity of beer to put the bike together again. She's still around.

'97 Racing Green TLS since '99 Bruised and beaten, now black with '98 TLS cases, frame, oilpump, clutch, shift-fork-guides, secondary shaft etc.
    '99 White/blue TLR since '02 now yellow track toy with Sebimoto, Öhlins rear, Mavic Penta's, Complete rear-end hacksaw GXSR mod, Rooske front end upgrade (linear springs), ZX12 six-pots, Goodridge hoses, brembo rear brake & pump.

Wheelie-cracks! Known...

Yeap, whellies craks frames and mess up transmissions....especialy 1st n 2nd gear.
    Mine frame is fine except tranny im going to rebuild in winter.
    Welder could fix it but has to be experienced in these kinds of repairs.

cheers stu

Naked TLS 97 , D port heads, TRE, Carrozzaria gold wheels, GSXR750 triples and forks, R1 calipers, Ti Force titanium exhaust system, welded clutch centre, ring-in CCC, polished pressure plate, 999 ducati radiator, custom handlebar fairing, polished ali screen, TLR clocks, Van reservoirs, TLR swingarm, TLR Ohlins rear shock, Norton Commando handlebars on 65mm risers, extra heavy polished billet brass bar-ends, custom shaped seat pad, billet levers and pegs, stainless brake lines, modified airbox, PC11 ,undertail, hugger, clear taillight lens, hidden LED number plate lights, Personal number plate (97TLS),SV coils, ring-in pushrod seal saver.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links