TLZone Forums banner

Not your usual exhaust bolt thread

1K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  cikko 
#1 ·
Thought I'd have a look to see where I could put the WBC sensor, then thought hey it's still sunny why don't I see if I can move those bolts?

Took the other side of the fairing off, loosened the rad, put a bit of card over it, sprayed some CRC ... zap! straight out! :O
Ok, let's see if I can get the header off ... wiggle wiggle twist zap! straight out :confused

This was all too easy - nothing broken, nothing smashed (even the rad fins are ok!), didn't leave any skin behind ... what am I doing wrong :laugh

#7 ·
:stupid You should have just shut up and enjoyed it. You are going to pay now.:banghead

#4 ·
Kamikuza.... i thought the same thing when my header bolts just came out...like they should. I thought.. huh.. what did i do wrong? :laugh

when i swapped exhaust from stock to Yosh race i put anti seize compound on them. works great! and of course only 16ftlbs (hmm maybe it was 14..cant recall). :)

#6 ·
Neverseize brand. It's a thick silver liquid emulsion with very fine aluminum in suspension. They also make versions with other metals, like brass etc.

But the best solution is to install studs instead.

#8 ·
CRC 5.56 = WD40 does it not? :O I've got some Loctite Silver, so that's going on ... just realized I can't use studs - stupid Yosh uses springs :( :bawling

Yeah, I'm paying for it now ... I've got wicked flu and sore throat like you wouldn't believe - kept waking up last night unable to breath :dowhat

#11 ·
... just realized I can't use studs - stupid Yosh uses springs :( :bawling
I don't understand. What do the Yosh springs anchor to? Don't you still need bolts? Can't you use a stud and nut anyplace you use a bolt? Please explain because I too have a Yosh full system but I have no clue how it instalss.

#12 ·
The nuts have a 2.5mm diameter hole drilled side-to-side through them that the spring slips through - otherwise, they are the same as the OEM bolts ... You could just drill a hole through the stud but there's no way to be sure which way it'd end up facing ...

Today's Update
I came inside covered in muck and the wife asked what I'd been doing.
When I replied that I had, in fact, been working on the bike she responded "Really? But I couldn't hear you swearing." :dowhat so things are still going well! :D

Bought some new exhaust bolts - M8x25 from the DIO store, drilled the holes myself (see above) and only buggered one up and my 2mm drill bit - dunno why - but I got a pack of 5 bolts so I got 2 perfect ones out of the 3 I attempted :D
SOAKED the bolts in Loctite anti-sieze, slotted it all back together ... test fitted the sensor - almost bloody perfect position!
Started the bike - no leaks! :doug

Now I just gotta wire it all in! :thumbup

#13 ·
You bought SS bolts?

#15 ·

#18 ·
Octo :bitchslap

I use stainless bolts aswell with a liberal coating of copper slip, but to be honest once you have got the stock bolts out it's very rare for replacements to seize unless they were fitted dry again and done another 20k miles all year round.

#20 ·
Great thread Kami...

You actually made me laugh.

1) for being so jinxy as to dare mention ANYTHING is going well.
2) for wife no hearing your swearing :lol

It appears that I apparently don't enjoy anything anymore... I sweat and curse while doing jobs in garage, car &/or house and I'm a nightmare to live with "apparently" - being a right old grumpy barsteward.

So it is with GREAT delight that you are enjoying yoruself and it brought a smile to my face ... oohhh eerrr

that'll be may face cracking and sliding off then.

:lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.