Custom frame?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Custom frame?

Custom frame?

Just gauging interest......

If one were to build a frame for the TL(ala' TS) what would you be willing to pay? Would you want one? Obviously weight loss would be the MAJOR benefit, but also using stock TL bodywork/swingarm/triple's/shock mount locations. Just replacing that heavy ass TL frame.....

?

Rupes
    Depends, what material are we talking about here, moly tubing or big bore aluminium ala Spondon ??

chrome moly trellis,billet swingarm pivots please,

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

There is a TLS in this months Streetfighter mag over here with a built frame, I will try and post pics.

that would be pretty expensive to do though right

Rupes
    Might have a hard time with that combo unless you're thinking of bolting the trellis frame to the swingarm pivot section. Better, structurally anyway, if its all out of the same material and welded solid.

Moly tubing Rupes, I could do the alumnium as well though. Yes, this is a BIG undertaking.....But I weld and build NASCAR/BUSCH frames.
    Vitesse33 likes this.

Rupes
    I've seen prices on frames and they arent cheap, however half the reason is that they also require other custom parts, like fuel tanks, swingarms etc

Just a bare frame in large diameter alloy tubing I'm guessing around $3000-$3500 US Cheaper in steel I'd imagine. I'm not sure what the market would pay but thats where it be at to stop me from just trying to do it myself And only if everything lined up 100%, and its structurally sound, welds are good etc and of course its straight and true.

Originally posted by tlrj
    Moly tubing Rupes, I could do the alumnium as well though. Yes, this is a BIG undertaking.....But I weld and build NASCAR/BUSCH frames.
    Hmmmm.......

PM sent.
    97 TL1000S- OZ wheels, rear wave rotor, Busa forks, Racetech internals, xtreme steering damper, custom black frame, custom mirrors, double bubble zero grafics windscreen, Full Jet Hot coated carbon fiber Yoshi system, Airbox mod, Iriduim plugs, penkse rear shock, gap mod, temp sensor mod, riflemans 1/5 throttle mod, gix 1K rear caliper, rear SS line, woodcraft rearsets, TLR master cyl, gold 6 pot calipers, SS lines, MakBox tuned, DID chain, clear tail lense, LED tail lights, flush turn signals, and many more...

Rupes
    Originally posted by tlrj
    Moly is good too

I've been tinkering with the idea myself, not to sell them just to make one myself. Thinking of all the work involved, making a jig etc etc .

The moly tube might be a better idea in terms of getting engine mounts lined up correctly and such. If the tubing is smaller than the original but laid out in a similar fashion you can always make the mounting points slightly larger, however with a large bore alloy tube, the tubing itself may get in the way of where the mounts should go and foul on other parts especially if all the stock gear is to be used.

You might look at the Terry Shepard frame for price and geometry comparisons. If you are going to use the stock tank, you might want to go with the TLR unit, as i have been told that it is narrower between the knees than the TLS one (check to make sure this is true though).

Also, please do not use the stock TL rear suspension. If building a new frame, how about setting it up to use the same shock as some other popular bike. That way we will have more (and less expensive) shock options. I suspect that some geometry changes could go a long way toward making the TL handle a bit better. Also, if it could be made narrower I belive it would make the bike much more rideable and easier to move around on.

Josh

TL Zone Forum Staff - Resident RAIN RIDER

Questions about The Forums? Click Here

1997 TL1000S/V
    - TLR Akro Evo Ti Exhaust - PCII - 5.5" rear rim & 180/55 - Avon AV45/46ST tires - No Steering damper- Uni Filter -Relocated Temp sensor & 98+ t-stat housing/wp cover - TLRCrazy1 Fan Switch Mod - Dual Star heated Grips - HeliBars - 60k miles.

9k mile summer ride report [summer '08]

Ride report: Oshkosh, Rockies, UT, NV, CA, Bajal [summer '09]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links