Custom frame? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Custom frame?

Waiting for email confirmation TLDV8's Avatar
    Originally posted by yeller_twin
    Yeah, I know all about material sciences. ....

One more thing, 7000 series AL is not considered weldable. 2000 series AL is "Aircraft" and not really welded, more bolting and fastening.
    Science has nothing to do with the real world , Diameter x Wall thickness .........Both Spondon and JMC use 7020 the strongest weldable aluminium available not to be confused with Tooling plate..and once again Post weld heat affected joint's..6061 has some good properties,but mainly mechanical by state ......... i broke my own rule again about staying out of these threads
    http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c345/manurewa/YL8Smallz.jpg

Mine...

Here's mine... it was my seinor project for my ME degree. I ran out of time to do any nice machining so it's not as pretty as it could be...
    -Joshua
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Custom frame?-dsc00435.jpg  

Originally posted by TLDV8
    Science has nothing to do with the real world , Diameter x Wall thickness .........Both Spondon and JMC use 7020 the strongest weldable aluminium available not to be confused with Tooling plate..and once again Post weld heat affected joint's..6061 has some good properties,but mainly mechanical by state ......... i broke my own rule again about staying out of these threads
    Science has a lot to do with real world. Okay I will admit that I never listen to what the books say. But this time I actually tested out my material since the machines were avaliable. Tubing shape has a large affect on rigidity too. But I don't feel like looking in my book for that crap, call me lazy. After further review, maybe 7000 series can be welded, it's just 2000 that cannot, oppps. Your a welder by trade (right?) and you have much more experience than me, so I will leave it at that. I was just a passing on what I have found and know.

jbirkle- Nice frame. How much time do you have in that? What material? And what's it for? Use a jig to square everything up? Questions questions questions, I know.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

As I recall it was 2 semesters...! It's chromoly front, 7075 plates. It was built for an FZ750 motor, the geometry ended up pretty close to an R6... I used a bunch of big dynamics equations, that I don't remember anymore , to come up with the overally geometry and COG. Then a bunch of FEA to optomise the design and in the end CAM software to machine the plates. The project was supposed to be sort of an exercise in using a bunch of eng. software. Oh, as far as the front was concerned, yeah a pretty intricate jig was buillt to keep it straight, but it still had to be straightened after full weld and powdercoat.
    Any more Q's?

Thasnk for the comments!
    -Joshua

jbirkle- Nice frame. How much time do you have in that? What material? And what's it for? Use a jig to square everything up? Questions questions questions, I know. [/B]

Just a thought for the money spent and weight reduction achieved I would consentrate on a lighter swingarm and leave the frame alone. You can ditch a fair bit of weight from the bike with an updated shock setup in fact if you want to go nuts Renton coil spring has titanium coil springs available along with the Showa conversion a gold valve and if you want to go all out Hypercoil has hydraulic spring perch, that will give you an awsome shock setup. As to the swingarm JMC in the UK make a significantly lighter swingarm then you can grind all the excess brackets off the frame from the shock conversion and you dont have to worry about trying to title a custom frame. Spend the money you have saved on Carbon fibre body work lighter wheels and voila a light weight TLR.

Rupes
    But what if you've already done all that

Your right about the JMC too, it uses a solid half inch thick axle and aluminium sleeves. I had mine made with bottom bracing. Complete with the extra bracing, brackets, axle, bearings etc its still lighter than the TLS non braced, completely stripped of everything swingarm that it replaced.

Title the frame?? Over hear the frame needs a number stamped on the headstock and a compliance plate riveted to the frame. If I ever did it I'd just stamp the new frame with the same number and attach the compliance plate and just store the old frame

Originally posted by Rupes
    But what if you've already done all that

Your right about the JMC too, it uses a solid half inch thick axle and aluminium sleeves. I had mine made with bottom bracing. Complete with the extra bracing, brackets, axle, bearings etc its still lighter than the TLS non braced, completely stripped of everything swingarm that it replaced.

Title the frame?? Over hear the frame needs a number stamped on the headstock and a compliance plate riveted to the frame. If I ever did it I'd just stamp the new frame with the same number and attach the compliance plate and just store the old frame
    EXACTLY how I'm gonna get my RGV on the street.
    97 TL1000S- OZ wheels, rear wave rotor, Busa forks, Racetech internals, xtreme steering damper, custom black frame, custom mirrors, double bubble zero grafics windscreen, Full Jet Hot coated carbon fiber Yoshi system, Airbox mod, Iriduim plugs, penkse rear shock, gap mod, temp sensor mod, riflemans 1/5 throttle mod, gix 1K rear caliper, rear SS line, woodcraft rearsets, TLR master cyl, gold 6 pot calipers, SS lines, MakBox tuned, DID chain, clear tail lense, LED tail lights, flush turn signals, and many more...

Originally posted by tlrj
    ...Joe--post some better pics of that sweet ride of yours

OK, here are some... JoE.

Last edited by JoE.; 10-26-2004 at 03:08 PM.

horkn

Andrew TLR

How about Carbon?

Just a cool $12,500 and this could be yours!

Too bad it's for a ducati...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links