Custom frame? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Custom frame?

Does UNO have a web site?

horkn
    yeah, but its all in german.

i even have a hard time undertstanding it, and i have taken many mnay years of german, and even was a foreign exchange student to germany in HS...

but, tlrj. if you make it like the uno, but at a better price, you will have many orders...

use www.altavista.com translator to view it ;-) unless its images

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by Flood
    Does UNO have a web site?
    Try http://www.speer-racing.de/speer_uno.htm

Originally posted by chelapa
    use www.altavista.com translator to view it ;-) unless its images
    ...or check out this thread https://tlzone.net/forums/showthre...&threadid=18251
    I did a quick and dirty translation of SPEERs Home page there.

Ciao... JoE.

Originally posted by kevh
    woody

Yup, this is basically what I'm looking at doing. I could do the CNC pivot as well--but not really what I had in mind.

Joe--post some better pics of that sweet ride of yours

sentinel
    That's fookin awesome dude!

What about getting a vin for it?

Originally posted by Rupes
    Just a bare frame in large diameter alloy tubing I'm guessing around $3000-$3500 US Cheaper in steel I'd imagine.
    I am actually researching the prices of material at this moment. (Ulitmate Go-Kart) I cannot find any Cho-moly with similar strengths close to the price of AL. The best I could do was matching some Chro-moly with .065" wall thickness compared to 6061 T-6 AL with .125 wall thickness, the AL cost roughly half the Chro-moly. I know there is a strength difference, but if I knocked the wall thickness down on the Chro-moly to match the AL price it would not have the required strength. Plus AL is a lot easier to work with in my book.

Waiting for email confirmation TLDV8's Avatar
    Originally posted by yeller_twin
    I am ............... in my book.
    Tube rigidity,ductility and yield will determine the tube and wall thickness......4130 has a higher ridgitity compared to most carbon tubes,so the wall thickness can be reduced in some cases with an increase in OD ....... It is far easier in a Street frame to use a good grade Seamless carbon tube of around 1 1/8 in or bigger and .060 wall,easy to weld,less drama with heat affected joint's etc etc...i believe Spondon etc use an Alloy in the 7000 series,that has bonus properties regarding post heat welding stress's .. Alloy allows bigger sections but the weight saving is minimal compared to steel(by weight),you could do the same section at a much thinner wall that would match the alloy but would crack..catch 22.....that was the thinking behind the first YZR 500's and their prototype Deltabox's,same weight as steel but bigger sections for a more ridgit platform...fwiwimho
    http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c345/manurewa/YL8Smallz.jpg

Yeah, I know all about material sciences, stupid materials tesing is a class I am not enjoying right now. But, .060 carbon steel and moly will weigh more than .125 6061. I've weighed them. 6061 is pretty brittle, but if you have enough support then it's not an issue. Since bikes have suspension, the frame does not see too much dynamic (shock) loading. I loaded a piece of 6061 T-6 .125 wall in our Universal Testing Machine and it held a 2400 lb load over a 10.5" distance with only .060" deflection. Basically that is not very much deflection and it held the load well.

In our Charpy impact tester, the AL only absorbed around 20 lb-ft while the low carbon steel absorbed around 60 lb-ft. Definately more brittle, but so is Ti.

Under Static load, 6061 is like taffy and streches bad. I think this specimen was around 68% elongation and 40% area reduction.

It's all about compromise. AL is cheaper right now, and my wallet says that's a no brainer. And much easier to work with.

One more thing, 7000 series AL is not considered weldable. 2000 series AL is "Aircraft" and not really welded, more bolting and fastening.
    Last edited by yeller_twin; 10-21-2004 at 10:19 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links