Steering Damper
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering Damper

Baby Twin

Steering Damper

I removed my front forks, wheel, fairing, etc for some winter maintenance. As I was putting it all back together, I noticed the lower arm of the steering damper is actually touching the gas tank. Its been like this for a while, as the tank has a small scuff on it. It doesn't look like its been bent, and the tank certainly can't move back any, so I'm wondering if this is just the way it is?

No, the damper should not touch the tank. Something is misaligned, or parts are missing.
    Is this a TLR or TLS?
    Can you post a photo of the damper interference?
    January 2012 TLOTM & BBOTM

Quote Originally Posted by Six5 View Post
    No, the damper should not touch the tank. Something is misaligned, or parts are missing.
    Is this a TLR or TLS?
    Can you post a photo of the damper interference?
    Also is this a standard fitment steering damper or an aftermarket one with different mounting brackets?
    As 6/5 says a picture or 2 would help.: thumbup
    black TL1000S rider,owned from new since august 98,hinkle windowed clutch cover,braided lines,5/8 front brake M/cylinder.1/5 throttle,Helibars,double bubble,stainless renegade cans, ohlins damper,stainless rad and oil cooler covers,undertray,carbon hugger,silver powdercoated wheels,k+n filter and TRE,R+G bungs,LED indicators,gold X ring chain with 40T rear sprocket,mini indicators, HID H4 headlights with led side lights.now done 85,000 miles.
    gold busa forks,gold six pots and gold rear caliper,pazzo levers all thanks to speedking
    van driver clutch pressure plate and bolt retainers,
    also done 306 laps of the nurburgring,
    now have my r1200gs adventure with 95.000 miles covered to date.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Baby Twin
    Its a TLS, 1999, with the factory damper. I looked at it again, and wonder if there is a washer or bushing that is missing, to maybe shim it out a bit. I'll try that. Meanwhile I'm trying to figure out how to post the pictures I took of the damper lower arm

Baby Twin
    Steering Damper-img_20191231_095802.jpg

Here is an image of the TLS damper mounting parts. It seems fairly straightforward. Is it possible that your bracket (item #9) is bent, and thus allowing it to touch the tank?

Or maybe it has the wrong spacer under the bottom mounting point?

https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...model-w-x-y-k1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steering Damper-smartselect_20191231-140414_samsung-internet_1577826617598.jpg  
    January 2012 TLOTM & BBOTM

Diagrams suggest the fitting as per the photo is correct. Not having a TLS to hand I can't say for sure but could you fix the issue by turning part #9 through 180 degrees? Don't know if it fits onto the frame both ways round.

https://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/s...teeringdamper1

The other possibility is the tank isn't seated correctly.
    Like my TL I'm old, overweight and badly maintained but I can still surprise you by how fast I can move.

Quote Originally Posted by snowblind View Post
    Diagrams suggest the fitting as per the photo is correct. Not having a TLS to hand I can't say for sure but could you fix the issue by turning part #9 through 180 degrees? Don't know if it fits onto the frame both ways round.

https://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/s...teeringdamper1

The other possibility is the tank isn't seated correctly.
    As the steering damper bracket bolts on using the two front tank mounts I can't really see how it can be bolted on wrong.
    Mine does run close to the tank but there is enough of a gap.
    The Chinese damper I've got mounted now is also very close but does clear the tank.
    black TL1000S rider,owned from new since august 98,hinkle windowed clutch cover,braided lines,5/8 front brake M/cylinder.1/5 throttle,Helibars,double bubble,stainless renegade cans, ohlins damper,stainless rad and oil cooler covers,undertray,carbon hugger,silver powdercoated wheels,k+n filter and TRE,R+G bungs,LED indicators,gold X ring chain with 40T rear sprocket,mini indicators, HID H4 headlights with led side lights.now done 85,000 miles.
    gold busa forks,gold six pots and gold rear caliper,pazzo levers all thanks to speedking
    van driver clutch pressure plate and bolt retainers,
    also done 306 laps of the nurburgring,
    now have my r1200gs adventure with 95.000 miles covered to date.

Agreed. Not saying the mount post is on wrong. There doesn't look to be much scope for error when fitting. I was just wondering if you could reverse it as a workaround to the immediate issue. Given there isn't much clearance to start with I'm wondering if the tank itself is slightly out of whack. Maybe worth checking the mounts at the other end of the tank just to be sure.
    Like my TL I'm old, overweight and badly maintained but I can still surprise you by how fast I can move.

Baby Twin
    My solution is to leave off the steering damper...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links