Clutch issue

Thread: Clutch issue

Baby Twin

Clutch issue

Hi there

I purchased a TL1000R and I took the clutch cover off. To my horror 6 fingers on the clutch basket have snapped off.

I can replace the clutch basket, but do I need to find the fingers? Does this require me pulling the engine apart? It see it does not have a sump I can simply take off and clean..

Thanks

Daniel.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwidan View Post
    ....... To my horror 6 fingers on the clutch basket have snapped off.

I can replace the clutch basket, but do I need to find the fingers? Does this require me pulling the engine apart? It see it does not have a sump I can simply take off and clean.....
    Welcome to The Forum Daniel!

You may be able to see or find most of the broken pieces after pulling off the right side engine cover. They may be caught in some of the cavities shown here. Also have a look at the catch screen that pulls out from the compartment directly below the clutch.
    You will need a new gasket for this cover.

20171008_163027 by Tony Six5, on Flickr

20171008_134400 by Tony Six5, on Flickr
    January 2012 TLOTM & BBOTM

Baby Twin
    Magic, thanks so much Tony. I will check it out...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

I should also mention.....
    In order to take that right hand engine cover off, the water pump impeller needs to be removed. In turn, that means the water pump seals need to be replaced. They are fragile and you won't be able to remove it without damaging the seals.

20171006_203924 by Tony Six5, on Flickr

Read up on water pump seal replacement before taking on this project. There are a couple quirks that need attention to make sure you do it right the first time.
    January 2012 TLOTM & BBOTM

If they are not in there I would suspect that the previous owner may have known about it and hopefully removed the broken parts.
    black TL1000S rider,owned from new since august 98,hinkle windowed clutch cover,braided lines,5/8 front brake M/cylinder.1/5 throttle,Helibars,double bubble,stainless renegade cans, ohlins damper,stainless rad and oil cooler covers,undertray,carbon hugger,silver powdercoated wheels,k+n filter and TRE,R+G bungs,LED indicators,gold X ring chain with 40T rear sprocket,mini indicators, HID H4 headlights with led side lights.now done 85,000 miles.
    gold busa forks,gold six pots and gold rear caliper,pazzo levers all thanks to speedking
    van driver clutch pressure plate and bolt retainers,
    also done 306 laps of the nurburgring,
    now have my r1200gs adventure with 95.000 miles covered to date.

send me the centre to weld for you while its apart.
    I can supply basket too

cheers stu

Naked TLS 97 , D port heads, TRE, Carrozzaria gold wheels, GSXR750 triples and forks, R1 calipers, Ti Force titanium exhaust system, welded clutch centre, ring-in CCC, polished pressure plate, 999 ducati radiator, custom handlebar fairing, polished ali screen, TLR clocks, Van reservoirs, TLR swingarm, TLR Ohlins rear shock, Norton Commando handlebars on 65mm risers, extra heavy polished billet brass bar-ends, custom shaped seat pad, billet levers and pegs, stainless brake lines, modified airbox, PC11 ,undertail, hugger, clear taillight lens, hidden LED number plate lights, Personal number plate (97TLS),SV coils, ring-in pushrod seal saver.

Sponsored Links