Dead in the water

Thread: Dead in the water

Baby Twin

Dead in the water

Hi again all.

Been enjoying my newly sought TL1000R 2001 for a couple of weeks now without a hiccup.

She has 40600 k's and in very good nick.

This morning I pulled the choke on fired her up no problems. Hopped on after about 1 metre she stopped. Dead. Nothing.

No ignition lights nothing.

Only quickly checked the battery terminals quickly and they are secure and new battery.

I have no clue where to start looking.

Fuses maybe...then where ?

Thank you to all in advance.

Loachy

Quote Originally Posted by Loachy View Post

This morning I pulled the choke on fired her up no problems. Hopped on after about 1 metre she stopped. Dead. Nothing.

No ignition lights nothing.

Loachy

Since there is no power, a good place to start is the main fuse. There are two ATC type 30 amp fuses on the side of the starter relay. One is the actual fuse, the other is a spare. Check it visually and with a meter.

If the main fuse is okay, have a look inside the connector on top of the starter relay. Sometimes the terminals overheat and the connector housing itself begins to melt or burn. This is a common failure on TLs and other Suzuki's. The solid red wire in that connector carries the power for nearly the entire electrical system. If it is open or fried, nothing works.

Download the service manual if you haven't already. You're going to need it sooner or later.
    January 2012 TLOTM & BBOTM

Baby Twin
    Quote Originally Posted by Six5 View Post
    Download the service manual if you haven't already. You're going to need it sooner or later.
    Thank you, I have a service manual, will take a look tomorrow, was hoping to have a ride over the weekend.

Just thankful she didn't stop on the way to work....dont fancy pushing her too far.

Sponsored Links