2001 TL1000S questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 2001 TL1000S questions

Baby Twin

2001 TL1000S questions

I posted on new member forum and didn’t get anything. Dealer a couple hours away has a 2001 TLS for 4999$. Bike is stock and only has less than 6000 miles on it. I’m not sure if that mileage should scare me or make me run down and buy it. I have not seen it in person, but there are tons of pics on the dealers website and bike looks perfect. Dealer is 2.5 hrs away, so want to get a few suggestions before I go over. Bike is blue, has stock exhaust and no mods. Any thoughts on what I should be asking. Also, price is a little higher than NADA.
    Thank you

Platinum Subscriber JoshCampbell's Avatar
    If it's 100% mint, then it's worth it in my book. Regarding the low mileage, only thing I can think of is dry rot on some of the oil seals and maybe some gummed up jets. Nothing that can't be easily rectified.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    The TL1000R is the only bike that makes me nervous, because in my dreams it's the only bike I die on

Low mileage can be a curse as well as a bonus depending on the owner.

Nominally the bike is 18 years old, the service interval is 6000 miles OR 6 MONTHS
    Many riders forget this part and if the PO was like that then it would mean this bike has had the same oil in it for a very long time.
    The build up of contaminants and crap of over a decade will have done the bike no good whatsoever.
    So if the bike has had over 30 service routines carried out all well and good.
    If not then be prepared to haggle and get the price down as you will have a lot of flushing out of oils, water, injectors, brake lines etc to do as well as throwing away components like batteries, filters, (air and petrol) brake pads and plugs that look perfectly ok.
    I would carefully inspect the chain for ANY HINT of tight spots and when the hell were any of the bearing cleaned out and re-greased? Assuming they are not rusted and stiff. What about 18 years of potential growth of nasties on the wiring loom connectors?
    It might even have the original 18 year old tyres on it! - If the dates on these are more than 3 or 4 years old they want throwing away too.

IMO low mileage does not make a bike more desirable, it makes me more careful, particularly in front of a dealer who will huff and puff over comments such as these when he tries to sell it to you............ "but Sir, It has been sat in a warm dry garage, taken out for a run then cleaned and polished once a month" ......................... yea, so has mine...........
    Red, the ONLY Colour.....for a 1997 TLS.....
    (1) Sold the old girl now ....... she will be missed...

(2) UNO frame & swinger with 1040 Bimota (aka TLR) engine running 17x40 teeth, Hydraulic clutch conversion, Billet wndowed clutch cover & cut plate spinner, Dunlop tyres, PC3, TLS bodywork, GSXR750-TT forks with custom Wilbers springs etc, Nissin brake calipers all round, front ones radial, radial Nissin clutch & brake masters, GSXR1000 K5 clocks, PVM lightweight wheels, LED lights all round, Full Yoshi exhaust system, Carbon cans, Yoshi rearsets, K&N air filter, Wilbers custom rear shock, Custom paint job. Skidmarx bellypan, Low profile rear seat hump, MotoX bars, all round (literally) nice guy.

(3) Bog standard BMW R1150RT.

(4) Boxes of many parts waiting to be made into 2 more TLS's.

Workshop in Welham Green near Hatfield in Hertfordshire - TEKMOTIVE - 01707 265000 - www.tekmotive.co.uk.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Baby Twin
    Thank you for the helpful replies. I called the dealer, and he said the did a “safety check” on it, and everything checked out. Whatever that means. He did tell me something that kind of bothered me, and that is he had no service history on it. Which in my mind means, the PO never did a service, which means all the fluids are 18 years old unless dealer flushed them or the PO didn’t bother keeping any records. But how many services would u do when you only have 5800 miles on the bike. I guess I’m going to go ride the 2.5 hrs to check the bike out. Curiosity is killing me. Any other questions I should be asking?
    This will be my first supersport. I’ve been riding Harley’s for 10 years. Currently riding a 2001 Switchblade (special edition wide glide)

Quote Originally Posted by Noledad View Post
    Thank you for the helpful replies. I called the dealer, and he said the did a “safety check” on it, and everything checked out. Whatever that means. He did tell me something that kind of bothered me, and that is he had no service history on it. Which in my mind means, the PO never did a service, which means all the fluids are 18 years old unless dealer flushed them or the PO didn’t bother keeping any records. But how many services would u do when you only have 5800 miles on the bike. I guess I’m going to go ride the 2.5 hrs to check the bike out. Curiosity is killing me. Any other questions I should be asking?
    This will be my first supersport. I’ve been riding Harley’s for 10 years. Currently riding a 2001 Switchblade (special edition wide glide)
    Well my bike has every fluid changed but would not have any dealer service record to verify that...

I just drove my Jetta across state lines today to meet a long time friend for lunch, did a couple hundred miles each way... No service records since I have owned it. Just a baby... 240k miles... I have flushed every fluid in it. Changed the clutch, did the timing belt, etc.

I do all the service on all my vehicles and I don't call a dealer to let them know that...

Sounds like pretty decent deal and you can definitely beat the dealer down on price...

Go shake it down and see what you think.
    ... listen to Six5 ...

Baby Twin
    Blue book on it is around 3300$, Nada is around 2700$. No way dealer is coming down to 3000$! What do you all think is reasonable number on that bike? This is my first Japanese supersport, so I’m not confident on a number like I am on Harley’s.
    Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by rxf610 View Post
    Well my bike has every fluid changed but would not have any dealer service record to verify that....

Yea, but, for us, you are a known entity, I would think that anyone on this forum would have no problem buying a bike from you or indeed, recommending you to a friend.

However, the bike we are currently discussing, or ATM the PO, are unknown entities and should rightly be treated with caution.

Noledad, a "safety check" can mean anything, as a minimum I would expect a full service to be carried out changing everything possible.
    If you want it and the dealer won't move much on price I would insist on it. You still will have plenty to do / check when you get it home.

Number 1........ Remove and clean / re-grease the rear damper and linkages including the mounting bolts.

For God's sake search this forum for a list of the items to check when buying one of these bikes and pay particular attention to the frame cracking issues.
    CrashB and wilf like this.
    Red, the ONLY Colour.....for a 1997 TLS.....
    (1) Sold the old girl now ....... she will be missed...

(2) UNO frame & swinger with 1040 Bimota (aka TLR) engine running 17x40 teeth, Hydraulic clutch conversion, Billet wndowed clutch cover & cut plate spinner, Dunlop tyres, PC3, TLS bodywork, GSXR750-TT forks with custom Wilbers springs etc, Nissin brake calipers all round, front ones radial, radial Nissin clutch & brake masters, GSXR1000 K5 clocks, PVM lightweight wheels, LED lights all round, Full Yoshi exhaust system, Carbon cans, Yoshi rearsets, K&N air filter, Wilbers custom rear shock, Custom paint job. Skidmarx bellypan, Low profile rear seat hump, MotoX bars, all round (literally) nice guy.

(3) Bog standard BMW R1150RT.

(4) Boxes of many parts waiting to be made into 2 more TLS's.

Workshop in Welham Green near Hatfield in Hertfordshire - TEKMOTIVE - 01707 265000 - www.tekmotive.co.uk.

Platinum Subscriber JoshCampbell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckshop Ted View Post
    ... Yea, but, for us, you are a known entity...
    Can't refer to you as a "friend" for political reasons
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    The TL1000R is the only bike that makes me nervous, because in my dreams it's the only bike I die on

Last year a bought bone stock tls 2000 with 5K miles for 2800...just had to put new tires on...pirelli angel gt because it jad crappy shinko....
    Watch out for dealers....their deal is to sell and make $$ off you not to make sure you happy or not

As tls members said here, check all fluids, dry rots....date on tire side wall - it should say week/year they were made, rear brake caliper likes to stick if not ridden....same w front....check if it drags, rust or stiff chain..
    .take your time keep your eyes open and bring friend who is biker too....more eyes see more....and dont pay attention dealer sweet talk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links