TL Fan mod idea - Hook up to rear brake
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TL Fan mod idea - Hook up to rear brake

Baby Twin

TL Fan mod idea - Hook up to rear brake

Why not use the rear brake to control the fan switch for the fan switch mod, bit more wiring but when your sitting at the red light it kicks on, the time when you need it with no manual intervention?

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywoodmx View Post
    Why not use the rear brake to control the fan switch for the fan switch mod, .....
    Who keeps a foot on the rear brake? It wouldn't work for me.

I much prefer a lower temp fan switch, or just a manual override switch.

Still, if it were done properly, either brake switch could activate it, because the front switch is in parallel with the rear switch. However, without really diving into it, I think you will need to add an additional switch to activate the fans, because the existing brake switch connects power to the light bulb - the bulb being the load. The bulb has a hardwired ground connection.

Whereas, with the fans, the load is always connected to power , and the switch connects the load to chassis ground.

A relay would likely be the best option.

Let us know how it goes if you do it.
    January 2012 TLOTM & BBOTM

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Yep, the manual fan switch is the way to go. Much easier to bump it with a thumb than to keep a foot on the rear brake.
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Colonel Jeff Cooper, in "The Art of the Rifle"

Jeff

TLZone Forums Staff - Resident Stodgy ME

Questions about the Forums? Click Here

Why not use the rear brake to control the fan switch for the fan switch mod, bit more wiring but when your sitting at the red light it kicks on, the time when you need it with no manual intervention?

nah! what about when it is cold outside and you have your foot on the brake? - if you want it sort of automatic fit a lower value fan temp switch...............
    Red, the ONLY Colour.....for a 1997 TLS.....
    (1) Sold the old girl now ....... she will be missed...

(2) UNO frame & swinger with 1040 Bimota (aka TLR) engine running 17x40 teeth, Hydraulic clutch conversion, Billet wndowed clutch cover & cut plate spinner, Dunlop tyres, PC3, TLS bodywork, GSXR750-TT forks with custom Wilbers springs etc, Nissin brake calipers all round, front ones radial, radial Nissin clutch & brake masters, GSXR1000 K5 clocks, PVM lightweight wheels, LED lights all round, Full Yoshi exhaust system, Carbon cans, Yoshi rearsets, K&N air filter, Wilbers custom rear shock, Custom paint job. Skidmarx bellypan, Low profile rear seat hump, MotoX bars, all round (literally) nice guy.

(3) Bog standard BMW R1150RT.

(4) Boxes of many parts waiting to be made into 2 more TLS's.

Workshop in Welham Green near Hatfield in Hertfordshire - TEKMOTIVE - 01707 265000 - www.tekmotive.co.uk.

Seconding Ted here. Change the temp sensor if you want your fans kicking in earlier.

Not that it will make much difference the way the climate is going. I hear there is an exodus of TL owners from Cambridge right now.
    Like my TL I'm old, overweight and badly maintained but I can still surprise you by how fast I can move.

Not exodus just want to reduce TL garage count from 4 to 2. An R and an S must go.

I was referring to the record temperature recorded in Cambridge last week. Of all the bikes you wouldn't want to ride in 38C plus heat I'd put the TLR well up the list. At this rate, give it a few years and we'll all be enjoying viewing the Orangutans in the rain forests of Glasgow.
    Like my TL I'm old, overweight and badly maintained but I can still surprise you by how fast I can move.

Baby Twin
    Well I'm a big dirtbiker we use the rear break a lot which then transitions to my street riding. So I may use my rear in combination with my front then most. Attaching it the rear break is a concentration free way of doing it. My thighs are roasting in stop and go.

Well I'm a big dirtbiker we use the rear break a lot which then transitions to my street riding. So I may use my rear in combination with my front then most. Attaching it the rear break is a concentration free way of doing it. My thighs are roasting in stop and go.

Then I suggest you ignore our advice and go for it....................
    Red, the ONLY Colour.....for a 1997 TLS.....
    (1) Sold the old girl now ....... she will be missed...

(2) UNO frame & swinger with 1040 Bimota (aka TLR) engine running 17x40 teeth, Hydraulic clutch conversion, Billet wndowed clutch cover & cut plate spinner, Dunlop tyres, PC3, TLS bodywork, GSXR750-TT forks with custom Wilbers springs etc, Nissin brake calipers all round, front ones radial, radial Nissin clutch & brake masters, GSXR1000 K5 clocks, PVM lightweight wheels, LED lights all round, Full Yoshi exhaust system, Carbon cans, Yoshi rearsets, K&N air filter, Wilbers custom rear shock, Custom paint job. Skidmarx bellypan, Low profile rear seat hump, MotoX bars, all round (literally) nice guy.

(3) Bog standard BMW R1150RT.

(4) Boxes of many parts waiting to be made into 2 more TLS's.

Workshop in Welham Green near Hatfield in Hertfordshire - TEKMOTIVE - 01707 265000 - www.tekmotive.co.uk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links