New bike not running right

Thread: New bike not running right

irr
    Baby Twin

New bike not running right

Hello everyone,
    I bought a 2000 tlr which has had a bit of neglect, it didn't run correctly on tickover and was hard to start, it would backfire from the front cylinder and then wouldn't even start.

I know a bit about bikes but this is my first 4 stroke after 25 years on 2 strokes.

I trimmed the ht leads and it fired up but then I found the front head gasket was seeping water, replaced that and timed it up, rechecked it 3 times and it was ok on the marks.

Next I found the choke/fast idle cable was seized full on, I fitted a new cable and then it started but would not idle under 2000rpm and was chuffing up through the throttle body, I found the idle screw wasn't touching the throttle flap so after adjustment it stopped doing this but again doesn't tickover under 2000rpm without chuffing out of the front throttle body and the fast idle lever although working has no effect whatsoever on the idle/running.

It starts and runs perfect until you ride it then it is really flat with no power and it backfires, I noticed the coil for the front cylinder was a bit hot.

I'm a bit miffed, do I have a knackered coil on the front? Or do I have the timing out or do I need to find out why the fast idle doesn't work and set the tb's up?

Any help would be appreciated greatly, thanks ian

if you have had the front head off read up on the timing - you could be 360 degrees out.......................
    Red, the ONLY Colour.....for a 1997 TLS.....
    (1) Sold the old girl now ....... she will be missed...

(2) UNO frame & swinger with 1040 Bimota (aka TLR) engine running 17x40 teeth, Hydraulic clutch conversion, Billet wndowed clutch cover & cut plate spinner, Dunlop tyres, PC3, TLS bodywork, GSXR750-TT forks with custom Wilbers springs etc, Nissin brake calipers all round, front ones radial, radial Nissin clutch & brake masters, GSXR1000 K5 clocks, PVM lightweight wheels, LED lights all round, Full Yoshi exhaust system, Carbon cans, Yoshi rearsets, K&N air filter, Wilbers custom rear shock, Custom paint job. Skidmarx bellypan, Low profile rear seat hump, MotoX bars, all round (literally) nice guy.

(3) Bog standard BMW R1150RT.

(4) Boxes of many parts waiting to be made into 2 more TLS's.

Workshop in Welham Green near Hatfield in Hertfordshire - TEKMOTIVE - 01707 265000 - www.tekmotive.co.uk.

irr
    Baby Twin
    Thanks, ill check it again tomorrow and let you know how it goes
    I was always led to believe 4 strokes were hassle free but maybe its just a one off, hope its worth it when its right

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

irr
    Baby Twin
    Quote Originally Posted by irr View Post
    Thanks, ill check it again tomorrow and let you know how it goes
    I was always led to believe 4 strokes were hassle free but maybe its just a one off, hope its worth it when its right
    Absolutely spot on, cams were half a turn out! Now it starts perfect and the fast idle works
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckshop Ted View Post
    if you have had the front head off read up on the timing - you could be 360 degrees out.......................
    Good call Ted!
    January 2012 TLOTM & BBOTM

Baby Twin
    If its neglected and the timing was off I'm guessing other things are not in great shape. Change the oil right away, look for metal shavings and check the ram air foam is still sealing on the air box.

irr
    Baby Twin
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywoodmx View Post
    If its neglected and the timing was off I'm guessing other things are not in great shape. Change the oil right away, look for metal shavings and check the ram air foam is still sealing on the air box.
    Thanks, I thought after I did the timing again it would be fine as it sounded it a lot meatier, managed to get a shot today and it wasn't very much better sadly, wouldn't pull a kid off it, just flat.

Backfires like hell out of front exhaust when close the throttle while riding.

Starts with first touch of the button as well, ticks over perfect and no fault codes, I was thinking tps? But I've lost all hope now just want rid of it.

Had all new fluids and nothing in oil, new plugs, might be a coil but sick of throwing money at it.

Part restored it spent nearly £1000 on it and its still junk, I couldn't ride it when I purchased it as the there was no brakes and the rear wheel bearings were collapsed so it might of even been like that when I bought it but cant remember.

Dealing with the illness ms since just after getting it so cant even spend time as it knackers me, £800 ono if anyone wants it I'm in Newcastle. Thanks

Sponsored Links