TLZone Forums banner

Tl1000S -97 cooler fan start temperature

7K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  Wilcan 
#1 ·
Hey everybody!
I changed the coolant the other day and while starting the bike and let it run and let the coolant go all through i also waited for the fan to start.
When it came up to 106 degrees celcius it started to boil quite good and squirted out of the cooler real good so i decided to turn the bike off.
At what temperature is the fan supost to start on? I'm going to try to test the fan if i can find the connector to it with a 9V battery or something similar so its not that which is broken.

Best Regards.

#2 ·
Fan works. Can i measure the temperature-sensor with oHm? Is that the copper-ish coloured plug on the right side of the cooler? If so, does anyone know the size of the resistance during the different temperatures? Im on google already but if someone knows..

Thanks alot.

#3 ·
Am i doing right? I have a 97 tl 1000 s. Im not getting any resistance from the sensor at all :S
Strange, its not the first time i troubleshoot a sensor, although it have only been on cars before.

Doesnt matter if it works or not, it should show something.. Tried all the way from 200 to 2000k at my multimeter.

Text Font Paper Paper product Parallel
Footwear Auto part Tire Shoe Carbon

#6 ·
Ok. What are the other parts that has to do with the fan? Maybe a temperature sensor?
I let the bike up to 107 degrees celcius the other day until the coolant started to boil, didnt start then even. So im guessing theres a sensor or something that is broken.

#7 ·
There's only the fab switch. Nothing else. If the fan runs when the fan switch is bypassed (paper clip/piece of wire) then either the switch is bad, or it did not sense 105°C yet. I would not bet that the coolant temp is 107°C just because the LCD says so. I guess a few degrees difference between the fan switch threshold and the coolant temp sensor is normal.

#10 ·
Aaaah right! The plug that goes in to the fan switch (The sensor that my picture shows).. use this plug and bypass it to send the signal to the fan to start? And if it doesnt, theres a problem with the cable harness, and if it starts its the fan switch (The sensor my picture shows) that is broken?

Of course.

#14 ·
Started with paperclip. Although spinning at wrong way. Couldnt be because of turning the poles wrong way or something.. I mean, i just short cutted 2 poles.. hmm.

I filmed it, because it made some funny sound as well.. Almost as the bearings are starting to do its last piece, but only on higher rpms.. Could be because its turning the wrong way as well?

Anyhow.. couldnt upload the clip at this page.. hmm

#16 ·
105 degrees and the fan started. Although running at the wrong direction.. Its going counter-clockwise feels like its pushing away the air instead of pushing the air into the radiator. Or am i wrong?

It should be going clockwise, right?

Removed the air box and the plug from the fan only goes in one way hmm..

#17 ·
105 degrees and the fan started.
That sound reasonable enough

It should be going clockwise, right?
Depends from which side your looking at it. As far as I remember, it should suck the air thru the radiator, i.e. airflow is front to rear.

Removed the air box and the plug from the fan only goes in one way hmm..
If the blue wire in the male plug connects to O/Y in the female plug, then everything should be fine.

Jo.

#18 ·
Yeah of course the air is supposed to go through the radiator from the front to the rear. Or else it would be hell in the city-trafic, standing in red light goes up to 105 degrees, fan starts and im driving off and the fan has to fight against the normal wind..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.