Oil leak.. (Help)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Oil leak.. (Help)

Baby Twin

Oil leak.. (Help)

Hey guys new to forum. And also a new TL1000R owner. I just bought a showroom clean 12k bike. I just got it home and noticed oil coming from the what appears to be the oil vent looks a little excessive to me. 1.. The bike has not been riden much in the last year. Pretty much just sat in the guys garage. Got it home went up the road 3 mile trip to see how i liked the bike. Parked it and noticed a oil spot under it about 2 inches big.. From sitting? Blow by? Called the guy he said tbat bike never leaked a drop.. So can soneone help me out here?what to do?

Welcome!

Step 1. Find EXACTLY where it is coming from. Baby powder will be your friend. It will stick to the oil.

When you say oil vent, what are you referring to? The breather is pretty well hidden from view. You might have the older style breather, which absolutely could be your issue. What year R? (Somebody please remind me when the part number changed. <= me)

Some oil leak areas from TLs.
    Pushrod seal
    Side cover (it is plastic and can warp. The 97s had an additional design flaw, but not relevant here.)
    Old style crankcase breather (Again, 97s had a different trouble here too. Again not your concern.)

Give us a little more info.
    ... listen to Six5 ...

Baby Twin
    Ok ill get a puc of area and its 2000 TL1000R this big lived a very very pampered life only mods is a RS3 slip on guy was in his 60s bought it new in 2000

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Baby Twin
    Lmfao... Just went to get a pic or 2 to show you. And the filler cap was loose as hell..

Quote Originally Posted by Badas86 View Post
    Lmfao... Just went to get a pic or 2 to show you. And the filler cap was loose as hell..
    It can leak from there if extremely loose.

If you leave out the drain plug too I have seen extensive leaks there too...

CrashB likes this.
    ... listen to Six5 ...

Baby Twin
    Lol i didnt do it man.. The old dude did when he checked it last. All i know is i got to go through the bike with a fine tooth comb. You have any feedback or advice for a new TL owner? Ive owned busa's and gsxr's but this is my first TL and already fallen for it..

.... guy was in his 60s bought it new in 2000
    Lol i didnt do it man.. The old dude did when he checked it last. .......

I should probably be offended, but what can I say? Kids these days......
    Besides, come tomorrow I'll forget it ever happened.

Congrats on your purchase. Please post up some photos of this relic you found. TL's have character you'll never find in Busa's or Gixxers.

Search the forum on any key word you can think of and you'll have plenty of reading on all the pros and cons of TL ownership.
    Be sure to download a service manual. You'll need it.
    January 2012 TLOTM & BBOTM

Quote Originally Posted by Six5 View Post
    I should probably be offended, but what can I say? Kids these days......
    Besides, come tomorrow I'll forget it ever happened.

Congrats on your purchase. Please post up some photos of this relic you found. TL's have character you'll never find in Busa's or Gixxers.

Search the forum on any key word you can think of and you'll have plenty of reading on all the pros and cons of TL ownership.
    Be sure to download a service manual. You'll need it.
    Six,

You should change your profile to an East Coast city, so that us young 'uns think you are up late.

... listen to Six5 ...

Platinum Subscriber JoshCampbell's Avatar
    Seems like someone didn't get their prune juice on time
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    The TL1000R is the only bike that makes me nervous, because in my dreams it's the only bike I die on

I'd like to echo Six5 in saying good choice of bike! (though a TLs would have been a better one )

Don't pay too much attention to his pessimism though!! They're no worse than any other bikes of their age but a whole lot more fun!!

Of all the vehicle forums Ive used over the years TLzone is by far the best! Loads of useful info and really well used so you'll usually get help or an answer really quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links