lights on dials dulling why?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lights on dials dulling why?

Baby Twin

lights on dials dulling why?

The dials on my tl dim down alot when I press either brake, they will brighten when the bike is revved what could this be a sign of?

Weak battery. Poor reg/rec unit. Bad earth. Short in the brake light circuit.

I'd start by putting a meter across the battery to check your charging voltages.
    Like my TL I'm old, overweight and badly maintained but I can still surprise you by how fast I can move.

Baby Twin
    Have the battery out giving it a charge overnight so I'll check again in the morning

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Baby Twin
    So I charged the battery last night and popped it in this morning but the same thing happened. After pressing the brakes a few times I blew the brake bulbs. The tails are still working just both brakes blew, they are new bulbs I only put in 2 days ago

Sounds like a wiring fault. In order to blow both bulbs like that they must be receiving excessive voltage. This assumes they have blown and its not just a failure in the circuit for those filaments.

There's only two ways I can think of picking up a voltage excess. One is the R/R is faulty but if this were the case it should be affecting everything. The other is a short between one of the wires in the brake circuit and the generator output lines.

The other thing is a bad connection. When the brake light circuit is closed the bad connection causes what is effectively very rapid switching. Filament lamps don't like being switched on and off quickly. Try it yourself on a regular incandescent light fitting if you want to see this. If you just turn it on and off as fast as you can you can probably blow the bulb in about 10s.

Get a meter onto one of the bulb sockets to see what voltage is being supplied. That should give you an idea of the type of fault to look for.
    Like my TL I'm old, overweight and badly maintained but I can still surprise you by how fast I can move.

Baby Twin
    Ok.thanks do u know what other r/r fits the tlr? I'll get on and try it next

There's a Shindengen that some people use. Check the voltages on your existing system first though.

Baby Twin
    Yea I'll check the voltage in the morning and get back to u

Baby Twin
    Put the multimeter on it and it's reading 13.6v at tick over and when revved it drops to 12.9v
    How does that sound?

13.6V isn't great but its acceptable. Now what happens when you hit the brake lever?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links