Throttle Response UNDER 4k RPM's - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Throttle Response UNDER 4k RPM's

I've been buying motorcycle parts at Advanced Auto for years. I got the 9's from Advanced a few months ago. They didn't have 8's or 9's tonight. I ended up just buying the cheap "recommended" Autolites for $2.50/ea. I'll put those in tomorrow. And if they get fouled... it's only $5. When I get 'er running right and burn off some of the junk in the motor... I'll order the 8's online or something.

Would different spark plugs effect the TB sync or TPS adjustment??

Quote Originally Posted by malenurse13 View Post
    ..... I left the VCSV connected (electronically) and just plugged both nipples. I've read many posts that say this usually helps their bikes run better. ......
    Leaving the VCSV electrically connected with the ports capped will have no effect on the performance of the machine - except for adding about 8 oz. of dead weight. It can be disconnected and the connector taped up.

My comments in BLUE.
    My questions after this update are:
    - Can FI bikes flood from too much throttle the same as old carbureted bikes, lawnmowers, etc?
    YES

- Is there any special technique to seeing the spark on these plugs? (NGK-CR9EK) I can't hold the clutch, start button, and the plug at the same time to FEEL the spark.
    You could bridge the clutch switch temporarily with a paperclip and leave the tranny in neutral. That would free up your clutch hand.
    If if is producing a spark, you should be able to see it. However, a visible spark doesn't mean it is a good spark inside the combustion chamber. Still, if you see no spark, that's a bad sign.

- Would the hotter plugs (NGK-CR8EK) help to burn off any extra fuel, seafoam, 2-cycle engine oil or whatever may still be in the motor?
    Just getting it to run will burn off any residues in there. Besides, a fuel treatment of some sort (I can't recommend any) would have a bigger impact in cleaning things than the plug's heat range. If you run a lot of short trips, the hotter plug is preferred.

- Is it possible removing more of the vacuum system could have caused the ECU to run even richer? ....
    If only the red colored vacuum lines in the diagram were removed, it wouldn't affect the fuel mix.

Would different spark plugs effect the TB sync or TPS adjustment??
    Nope.
    Last edited by Six5; 01-12-2016 at 09:17 PM. Reason: comments were out of order....
    January 2012 TLOTM & BBOTM

Is it necessary to change the oil in the bike after a flooding episode like I've had this week?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for the comments, Six5.
    I can't explain why the spark plugs got flooded like that. But yes, I'm hoping new plugs and running it will help burn off whatever "liquid" is left. Maybe there's still Seafoam in there. Regardless... I just wanna get this thing running again, do a TB sync, and try to get the bike back to where I can atleast ride it again! I'll put up with the RPM issues for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tombstones View Post
    Use the CR8EK plugs.
    I just ordered some 8's on Amazon (free shipping).
    After a few weeks with the cheap Autolites, I'll put them 8's in there and should be back in business!

Great News! Even with the cheap Autolite spark plugs from Advanced Auto Parts, the bike started up the other night and is running much better!
    I tried another TB sync and nearly sucked all the tranny fluid into the front TB!
    I just ran the bike for a while to burn off whatever tranny fluid got into the throttle body.
    I decided since the bike is atleast running, I'd just put 'er back together and ride the bike as is.
    But while riding last night... I realized that it's running MUCH better! AND I remembered that, technically, I DID do a TB sync a few weeks ago. The bike was running like crap that night and smoke was everywhere. It was impossible to get a smooth idle under 2k RPM's... BUT I made the screw adjustments until the fluid was balanced and level. Now, it might not be a perfect sync with the RPM's being higher than normal idle speed. But the engine was 180+ degrees and according to my TB sync fluid (2 cycle engine oil at the time), the TB's were sync'd. So maybe that worked. Cuz last night, the bike ran WAY smoother, especially at higher RPM's. Very little vibration in the grips. Less backfiring. And the bike feels much more "alive". Like it's always waiting for more throttle!
    So bottom line, the fouled and improperly gapped spark plugs must have not been helping. The bike now has new plugs, TB sync has been done, airbox mod complete, all vac hoses removed from left side (including VCSV, orange valve, and damper that usually connects to front of airbox).
    And somehow, whatever I did helped the low RPM issues DRAMATICALLY!!

So I took the bike to work today and it was the best ride I've had since I bought the thing! The bike performs MUCH better now. Thanks to all of you for your input and advice over the last few months! I would still have a miserable ride if it wasn't for all your knowledge and experience!
    Throttle Response UNDER 4k RPM's-back2work.jpg

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Sponsored Links