Throttle Response UNDER 4k RPM's - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Throttle Response UNDER 4k RPM's

Quote Originally Posted by snowblind View Post
    ...you get the guy with the Yosh box to meet you at the guy with the dyno's shop and you bring the beers.
    Well, that sounds like the best option. But I'll start with the Dyno guy first. As jonstorp said earlier, the Dyno guy must have a Yosh box or something for making adjustments. I'll stop by that shop first and see what they can do. But I'm still planning on doing the TB Sync and TPS first. And maybe the airbox mod too while I'm all up in there.

Quote Originally Posted by malenurse13 View Post
    Well, that sounds like the best option. But I'll start with the Dyno guy first. As jonstorp said earlier, the Dyno guy must have a Yosh box or something for making adjustments. I'll stop by that shop first and see what they can do. But I'm still planning on doing the TB Sync and TPS first. And maybe the airbox mod too while I'm all up in there.
    Do the air box mod first or you are wasting money at the dyno, since it would need to be redyno tuned after...

What if I just remove the flappers? Is that enough of an airbox mod?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

What if I just remove the flappers? Is that enough of an airbox mod?
    You don't HAVE to do the airbox mod, but I recommend doing it. The R airbox mod really isn't hard.

Just remove the flappers. Close up the holes, then cut out the restrictive plastic plating around the airbox with something like a dremel.

... listen to Six5 ...

I did the airbox mod today. Dremel worked great with the new bits I got from Harbor Freight! But I'm gonna leave the airbox off for a while until I get this TB sync done. I was hoping the flappers had something to do with the low RPM issues... but I ran it a bit today with the whole airbox off and the throttle response under 4k RPM's still feels the same.
    But the airbox mod is done and that'll give me less to do later.

One thing I did notice is what looks like engine oil around the rear cylinder intake. It's similar to what I found the first time I pulled off the airbox. I was told it's somewhat normal for an oil residue to build up in the rear of the airbox. But I actually found the same oily residue IN the rear cylinder intake! Is this normal? If not, what could be wrong??
    Throttle Response UNDER 4k RPM's-cylinder_intake.jpg

Another thing on the subject of the airbox... I had to remove the foam from where the RAM air enters the airbox. It was dried and crumbling and even a little moldy?!?! I figured if I didn't pull it all off it would end up in the engine at some point. Is there any way to replace the foam? Or is there something better to put around the RAM air intake? Is it even necessary to replace the foam?
    Throttle Response UNDER 4k RPM's-airbox_foam.jpg

..... But I actually found the same oily residue IN the rear cylinder intake! Is this normal? .....
    Not uncommon to have an oil mist in the airbox - due to the crankcase vent. Was the air filter beginning to disintegrate? Allowing debris through?

...... I had to remove the foam from where the RAM air enters the airbox. ....Is there any way to replace the foam? Or is there something better to put around the RAM air intake? Is it even necessary to replace the foam?
    You'll never notice the missing foam unless you spend most of your riding time in the triple digits.

However, if it makes you feel better to have it in there, a number of automotive weatherstrip products have been successfully used to replace it. Probably more durable than the OEM foam too.
    January 2012 TLOTM & BBOTM

Quote Originally Posted by Six5 View Post
    Was the air filter beginning to disintegrate? Allowing debris through?
    The air filter seems to be intact. There's some debris in the filter but nothing seems to be passing thru. But when I opened the airbox the first time, a few months ago, I did notice a lot of oil and that little black filter/screen material in the back of the airbox was disintegrated and allowing a lot of the oily residue into the airbox. So maybe that's what's in rear cylinder intake. And maybe that's why it's in the rear and not the front cylinder intake.

Has anyone ever done a sea-foam treatment on the TLR? If so, what's the best way to do it??

It's been recommended by several members here that I check the condition of all the vac hoses. Now that the airbox is off and I can see it all, the vac hoses all look great! I'm planning on cutting a half inch or so off of each of 'em if I have enough slack, but they all look good. The only thing I've found cracked is this big hose on the left rear of the airbox. I've put some electrical tape around cracked hoses like this before on tillers and lawnmowers. Will that work for this one? Any better solutions? The cracks don't seem to be long enough to leak. I don't even know exactly what this hose does.
    Throttle Response UNDER 4k RPM's-airbox_hose.jpg

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links