Vacuum hoses - to replace or.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum hoses - to replace or.....

Evil Twin

Vacuum hoses - to replace or.....

So I have had my 97 TLS about 6 months now and she is taxed until the end of the year. I have a few things I am going to do whilst she is off road such as fuel tank seal, TBS and TPS are the main ones.

Looking at the vacuum lines though they look old and although I haven't had a real good look at them yet I can bet they are cracking.

So the normal route would be to replace them but I have read that they have needle inserts so my first question is where can you get replacements?

Secondly is if I do the airbox mod would that mean I could just junk the vacuum lines and not bother replace them.

At the moment I am not looking to perform many of the mods as I want to get a feel of what I want to do rather than rush in and do a load of mods and then regret some later down the line.

But the airbox mod is discreet and from what I have read makes the bike sound better on the intake growl which can only be a good thing. Not concerned about more power.

So to mod or not to mod - that is the question (for the airbox that is - although as you all know there will probably be more at some point ;-)

Baby Twin
    I would have to say yes with the airbox mod. Not only will this give you the intake growl that you say you desire, but it will feasiblly would help with gas mileage too. I used aluminim tape to tape up the holes from the two vacuum pumps on the upper half of the airbox, so that way if I was unhappy or maybe lost some low end grunt, i could easily put all the hardware back on. It rode fine though, so I deleted the the PAIR, VCD, and VCSD (JoevAirbox mod).

Now that I have not felt any harm from this mod and all positives, I ordered a pipercross air filter with more surface area that is custom made for our bikes to get rid of the tray that facilitated the flapper valve operation: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141432691383?lpid=82

Hope this helps.
    1998 TLR no A/C
    2007 25,000mi: Oil/filter, plugs, chain, sprockets (12/27 +3.0mph), Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's, Yoshi carbon fiber RS3 bolt-ons (-10.0lbs), K&N filter, throttle lock, fender eliminator (-.5lbs), smoked windscreen, PCIII usb (+1.4lbs-yoshi map).

2014 Nov 27,000mi: Lithium batt-7.4lbs), + mod,
    pair valve mod, Joe V Airbox mod (-2.3lb), Mobil 1 oil filter/10w-40 & fuel with seafoam, clean/lube chain, upper radiator & fan sensor, flush radiator; brakes/clutch DOT4, clean rear brake master cylinder, headlight mod, SmartTRE, 1/5th throttle insert, onepiece ram air tubes (-.7lb), -Ram air covers and turn signals (-?lbs), SV1000 coils (-.14lb), tripple insulated generator, SH775 R/R, Iridium plugs, fuel pump, fuel filter, improved crankcase filter, thermostat

19.64 lbs total

In mail: Speedohealer, Pipercross air filter,TB sync tool, tripple voltmeter

Evil Twin
    great cheers. So looking at the diagrams from previous guides it does get rid of a lot of the vacuum pipes.
    It seems though that there are a couple of different levels at to how much you can modify the airbox and therefore the vacuum lines.
    Does anyone have some pointers as to the first steps. Is it just a case of removing the flapper, sealing the airbox hole and removing the vacuum lines. I have seen other guides on further modification but not too sure how far I want to go yet so would rather just do the basic.
    Looks like it will be easier than trying to repair/replace the vacuum lines anyway
    cheers
    jeff

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Hi Jeff, I recently did the full airbox mod and tidied up all the vacuum hoses.

I was plugged and removed everything except one hose going directly into the vacuum sensor. Shes never run better.
    2000 TLS. (56Kmiles) 1/5th riflemans insert. STRE. airbox mod. viper cans. 6 pot calipers. SS lines. + mod. charging mod. SV1000 coils. R6 damper conversion. FH0 20AA R/R. LED indicators. 17/42 gearing. vacuum system modded.

Next: front end change, rearsets, clip ons, gap mod, engine rebuild. clutch.

One Liter Duc Eater geofftl1000r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattSW View Post
    Hi Jeff, I recently did the full airbox mod and tidied up all the vacuum hoses.

I was plugged and removed everything except one hose going directly into the vacuum sensor. Shes never run better.
    Do you think the sensor will survive getting it's arse kicked by those 2 great big pistons!
    " I started out with nuthin' and I still got most of it left"
    1999 TLR, Ohlins rear shock, Ohlins steering damper, HID projectors, needing a paint job.
    1995 GSX600FS did me proud for many years 60K+ miles and only 1 clutch cable ever went wrong. Now rotting in the shed.
    2013 VZR1800 'The Intruder'. 2nd gear went at 42K miles rebuilt at 47K miles. Eats miles, great touring machine.

Not Sure, only time will tell on that one. I have tried with more of the system in place, with the VD can and also T piecing the TBs, with the can and sensor also but with all those combinations she was running like a bag of S**t so Ill leave it like it is for now and if it turns out that its not enough then Ill head back to the drawing board.
    2000 TLS. (56Kmiles) 1/5th riflemans insert. STRE. airbox mod. viper cans. 6 pot calipers. SS lines. + mod. charging mod. SV1000 coils. R6 damper conversion. FH0 20AA R/R. LED indicators. 17/42 gearing. vacuum system modded.

Next: front end change, rearsets, clip ons, gap mod, engine rebuild. clutch.

I replaced my hoses a while back, and i simply cut out the jets from the old hoses and inserted them into the new ones.. Just keep track of which jet goes where, they are not the same size...
    TL1000S -97
    Bitubo rear shock, custom undertail, highpipes, hugger, Barnett clutchsprings, Airbox mod, K&N airfilter, inline fuelfilter mod, thermostat mod, Ivans TRE, +mod, charging mod, headlight relay mod, Speedohealer, TLR Brake M/C, Nissin 4-pots front calipers with Goodridge lines.

Are the jets necessary?? Do they need to be in the exact same location if you replace the tubing? Or just somewhere in line before TB's, damper, whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by malenurse13 View Post
    Are the jets necessary??
    Yes.. If you loose them, you could make new ones from MIG/TIG-weldertips.. The ones the thread goes through.. Just cut off desired length, and drill out the hole to right size..

TL1000S -97
    Bitubo rear shock, custom undertail, highpipes, hugger, Barnett clutchsprings, Airbox mod, K&N airfilter, inline fuelfilter mod, thermostat mod, Ivans TRE, +mod, charging mod, headlight relay mod, Speedohealer, TLR Brake M/C, Nissin 4-pots front calipers with Goodridge lines.

Baby Twin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonstorp View Post
    Yes.. If you loose them, you could make new ones from MIG/TIG-weldertips.. The ones the thread goes through.. Just cut off desired length, and drill out the hole to right size..

were is the Jets located ? in what vacume line? does anyone have a diagram..? Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links