shindy nissin 6 pot calipers.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: shindy nissin 6 pot calipers.

Baby Twin

shindy nissin 6 pot calipers.

Hi all

I'm new here. Recently got myself a tlr and love it! But I HATE the 6 pots tokicos ( same old story).
    I've had loads of bikes including a bandit 12 with 6 pot tokicos (which I think maybe a different type to the tlr) and they we're great.

Anyway, does anyone have any experience or knowledge about shindy nissin 6 pots?

Chriss,

You are in luck.... I am doing the gsxr swap on my front this week, got four pot radial tokicos and you can have the pick of the litter! CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!

97S 4 pot stock Tokicos or the consensus best TL stock fork upgrade brakes: 4 pot Nissins (Triumph badged though, just file it off and use a sharpie to write Brembo )... I never even installed them, since I am going radial.

Maybe the Bandit's have a different MC and thus was a different lever action

Apparently the best way to get performance out of the 6 pot tokicos is to clean them ALL THE TIME. Keep the pots free and clear of trash so they engage evenly. I know Snowblind kept his clean and didn't mind the performance. But he has since upgraded to a radial front end.
    You will eventually if you stick around here too long.

I just rebuild the Tokicos I got off FleaBay. They were FILTHY!!!

This is the jelly like brake goo that came out...

Before:

After: YAY!

All my seals were still in reusable condition.

I used a product called Simple Green to clean all the crud off, tore down the calipers, then just washed the rubber pieces in soapy water. Reassembled with new pads. Going to a two line setup with stainless Galfer lines.

Fill out your details in your profile so we know where you are from.

Oh... and...

Let's see her!!
    tlrpunk likes this.
    ... listen to Six5 ...

Like he say's; IF (and its a ferkin big IF) you keep the 6-pots clean and well maintained, braided lines and I strongly recommend EBC HH pads they will stand the bike on its nose quite happily. For about a week or until the first time they see water. Whichever comes first. Then you'll need to clean them again.

I may be exaggerating a bit but the gist is true enough. There's other things wrong with the design of those things. The size of the pads is one negative. People have written essays on the subject.

If you an find an alternative then its probably best to go with it.

And a gixer fork/radial brake conversion is certainly a route I'd recommend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shindy nissin 6 pot calipers.-gixer_front_end.jpg  
    Like my TL I'm old, overweight and badly maintained but I can still surprise you by how fast I can move.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Silver Subscriber
    how much are you asking for the nissins?

Baby Twin
    shindy nissin 6 pot calipers.-dsc_0110.jpg

Thanks for the offer rxf610 but I got an eye on 4 pot nissins on eBay now goin for cheap.

The previous owner has been a big help and said removing the seals would prevent the pistons retracting too much could be a solution. However would require extra cleaning!! I'm from London.
    Thanks alot for ur input!!!

Hope u like the Bike!

DenWous,

$50+ shipping and they are yours. I'll clean them up and pull those crappy rubber lines off and put them in the smallest package I can. They are super clean. PM me. Shipping would probably be roughly $20.
    ... listen to Six5 ...

Chriss,

Sharp looking! It only takes an hour or two and a beer or two to break them down and clean them spotless. Your seals will likely be perfect and just require a little soapy water and then some cleaner on the calipers. Let's not kid ourselves. Tires and brakes are the only things connecting you to the road....
    ... listen to Six5 ...

Or if your interested in a complete front end upgrade I have GSXR 1000 k3/4 forks (1700 miles) few small hidden marks nothing major, with matching gold radial calipers, new fitting kit (Sams) and a genuine KAD top yoke.

Pm me for prices.

Baby Twin
    Thanks rxf610

True. The whole bike is fantastic but the brakes, they are shockingly bad.
    Brake upgrade can't come soon enough, this bike is addictive lol!!

Baby Twin
    Thanks Chris.
    I'm just looking for a simple caliper upgrade. Thanks all the same!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links