Strange things happening with my TLR
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange things happening with my TLR

NJD

Strange things happening with my TLR

Right guys, I need your expert advice, I know you will have the answers.

Had my TLR motor rebuilt to replace the output shaft bearing.

All good on this respect, and now more oil leak, excellent, but...

went for for a blast last week and it would not rev above 8 k in top gear and no more than 80mph. No matter how hard I tried, was using fuel like a bitch too.

pinned this too a acting up fuel injector, cleaned etc and all good,will rev throughout the rev range in all gears, but still won't top 90mph.

what should I be looking at now guys, I just can't think what it could be, also I changed gearing to 17/42, expected to get better acceleration, but it don't feel any different, was expecting wheelie monster, got a mouse that likes to stay firmly on the floor.

please help

2001 Blue & White TL1000R
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mods Completed
    Smart 2G Timing Retard Eliminator ~ K & N Air Filter ~ 1/5th Throttle Insert ~ Scorpion Race Cans ~ Dynojet Power Comander II ~ Topgun Under Tail ~ Powerbronze Hugger ~ Hammerit DB Dark Smoke Screen ~ Ohlins Rear Shock
    ~ R & G Racing Swing Arm Protectors ~ R & G Racing Cotton Reels ~ R & G Racing Fork Protectors ~

The Wish List
    Gilles Chian Adjusters & Lifters ~ Gilles Rearsets ~ Pazzo Racing Shorty Levers ~

One Liter Duc Eater geofftl1000r's Avatar
    When mine wouldn't hit the 'magic ton' it was because the fuel pump had seen better days. Have you done the fuel flow test?
    Think it's remove the return pipe and cycle the fuel pump collecting the return flow in a jar. Mine was a tad slow and low......
    " I started out with nuthin' and I still got most of it left"
    1999 TLR, Ohlins rear shock, Ohlins steering damper, HID projectors, needing a paint job.
    1995 GSX600FS did me proud for many years 60K+ miles and only 1 clutch cable ever went wrong. Now rotting in the shed.
    2013 VZR1800 'The Intruder'. 2nd gear went at 42K miles rebuilt at 47K miles. Eats miles, great touring machine.

NJD
    Cheers fella

Do you have any more details about how much fuel I should collect from the return, don't wanna buy a fuel pump if I don't have to, you seen how much they are £636!!!

If you replaced your a,what did you replaced with, have read that fuel pumps from other bikes/carfit and work In the TLR?

Thanks again

Mods Completed
    Smart 2G Timing Retard Eliminator ~ K & N Air Filter ~ 1/5th Throttle Insert ~ Scorpion Race Cans ~ Dynojet Power Comander II ~ Topgun Under Tail ~ Powerbronze Hugger ~ Hammerit DB Dark Smoke Screen ~ Ohlins Rear Shock
    ~ R & G Racing Swing Arm Protectors ~ R & G Racing Cotton Reels ~ R & G Racing Fork Protectors ~

The Wish List
    Gilles Chian Adjusters & Lifters ~ Gilles Rearsets ~ Pazzo Racing Shorty Levers ~

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

NJD
    Found this as an alternative to £636
    http://www.fuelpumpfactory.com/mobil...CNT-400-1042-1

Mods Completed

The Wish List

There are a lot of alternative pumps out there. Mine is a tad to big for the original mount as it's from a Mitsubishi Evo or something. When I first fired it up it made a huge noise as it primed!
    I'll try and dig out the correct details from the workshop manual. There are some clips on YouTube too that show the good and the bad....

This is a good pump in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-YZFMX15VQ
    1999 TLR, Ohlins rear shock, Ohlins steering damper, HID projectors, needing a paint job.
    1995 GSX600FS did me proud for many years 60K+ miles and only 1 clutch cable ever went wrong. Now rotting in the shed.
    2013 VZR1800 'The Intruder'. 2nd gear went at 42K miles rebuilt at 47K miles. Eats miles, great touring machine.

This is a screenshot for testing the fuel flow from the manual.

Strange things happening with my TLR-tl1000r-fuel-pump-test.png

I'd try new plugs first. Sounds a lot like you're running a TL500. Then I'd suspect the fuel filter and only then if that wasn't it I'd look at the fuel pump.
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Colonel Jeff Cooper, in "The Art of the Rifle"

Jeff

TLZone Forums Staff - Resident Stodgy ME

Questions about the Forums? Click Here

I bought one of these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281163405429
    TL1000S -97
    Bitubo rear shock, custom undertail, highpipes, hugger, Barnett clutchsprings, Airbox mod, K&N airfilter, inline fuelfilter mod, thermostat mod, Ivans TRE, +mod, charging mod, headlight relay mod, Speedohealer, TLR Brake M/C, Nissin 4-pots front calipers with Goodridge lines.

NJD
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonstorp View Post
    How was this?, good fit, easy fit?, and did it do the job?

Mods Completed

The Wish List

Quote Originally Posted by NJD View Post
    How was this?, good fit, easy fit?, and did it do the job?
    Its the exact same size as OEM, so its real easy to fit. However, the screen that came with the pump was a different fit than the OEM one, so i had to reuse the old one.. The one that comes with the pump is mounted directly beneath the pump, but on my TLS, it sticks out on the side.. But flow is good!
    TL1000S -97
    Bitubo rear shock, custom undertail, highpipes, hugger, Barnett clutchsprings, Airbox mod, K&N airfilter, inline fuelfilter mod, thermostat mod, Ivans TRE, +mod, charging mod, headlight relay mod, Speedohealer, TLR Brake M/C, Nissin 4-pots front calipers with Goodridge lines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links