TLZone Forums banner

Strange things happening with my TLR

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  cyclecamper 
#1 ·
Right guys, I need your expert advice, I know you will have the answers.

Had my TLR motor rebuilt to replace the output shaft bearing.

All good on this respect, and now more oil leak, excellent, but...

went for for a blast last week and it would not rev above 8 k in top gear and no more than 80mph. No matter how hard I tried, was using fuel like a bitch too.

pinned this too a acting up fuel injector, cleaned etc and all good,will rev throughout the rev range in all gears, but still won't top 90mph.

what should I be looking at now guys, I just can't think what it could be, also I changed gearing to 17/42, expected to get better acceleration, but it don't feel any different, was expecting wheelie monster, got a mouse that likes to stay firmly on the floor.

please help

#2 ·
When mine wouldn't hit the 'magic ton' it was because the fuel pump had seen better days. Have you done the fuel flow test?
Think it's remove the return pipe and cycle the fuel pump collecting the return flow in a jar. Mine was a tad slow and low......

#3 ·
Cheers fella

Do you have any more details about how much fuel I should collect from the return, don't wanna buy a fuel pump if I don't have to, you seen how much they are £636!!!

If you replaced your a,what did you replaced with, have read that fuel pumps from other bikes/carfit and work In the TLR?

Thanks again

#4 ·
#5 ·
There are a lot of alternative pumps out there. Mine is a tad to big for the original mount as it's from a Mitsubishi Evo or something. When I first fired it up it made a huge noise as it primed!
I'll try and dig out the correct details from the workshop manual. There are some clips on YouTube too that show the good and the bad....

This is a good pump in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-YZFMX15VQ

#6 ·
This is a screenshot for testing the fuel flow from the manual.

Text Paper Newsprint

#7 ·
I'd try new plugs first. Sounds a lot like you're running a TL500. Then I'd suspect the fuel filter and only then if that wasn't it I'd look at the fuel pump.

#9 ·
#11 ·
Thanks for that

Oh, one more question, is the only fuel filter on the tlr the one in the tank?

#12 ·
Yep, same on TLR and TLS.. Recommend you to do the inline fuelfilter mod when you have the tank open.. And make sure you follow the instructions to the letter when you put back the fuelpump.. Using the correct torque and order when you tighten the bolts are critical.. Clean the surface where the gasket sits thorougly.. And swap the OEM pinch-type hoseclamps to ones that you tighten with a screwdriver.. :)

#13 ·
Would a fuel pump on the fritz also account for excessive fuel usage too?

like 50 miles to 12 litres of fuel?

#17 ·
It seems like 9 out of 10 people can't figure out how to time the cams properly, resulting in a lot of rebuilt TL engines with bad cam timing off half a tooth. So I'd sure check that out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.