2002 Tl1000r charging/electrical issues - Page 5
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 2002 Tl1000r charging/electrical issues

Baby Twin
    Ok thanks for clearing that up.

Welp, it is back to the drawing board, bike wouldn't start on its own this morning, another jump start required, and then some strange behaviour when I had the headlights on - it would seem to cut out for a split second, then back on, making the bike lurch - not something you want even on a slight lean. This only occured with the main beams on - dunno if thats due to there being such low voltage in the battery than headlights just drain it so theres not enough to go to the rest of the bike, or whether the increased current is doing the starter relay connection no favours.

This wasn;t so bad driving in as its light, though I do worry about my journey home tonight - I put the headlights back on for my last mile or so of the journey and there were no problems then.

Can someone clear up whether I need 4-pin or 5-pin relays for the headlight mod - I ordered 4-pin, which looks fine for the diagram above, but this one uses 5 pin relays:

https://www.tlzone.net/forums/frequen...rting-mod.html

Will be forwarding my payment to Brainless for the starter relay connector replacement as well, and who knows, maybe one day it will function normally for 3 days in a row!!

It's a TL. If you wanted an "easy time" you should have bought a Honda.
    I do like how everyone I spoke to prior to buying the TL made comments along the lines of "Best bike ever, miss mine loads, a bike with character, no worries with that bike!" then as soon as I buy it, only then do I start reading "Rife with electrical problems, gaskets are not your friend, I'd stay clear mate" etc etc. Where were these people before?!?!?!

Conversely my GSXR1000 K4 never gave me any problems whatsoever, maybe Suzuki were having a bad day/month/year when they were putting the TLs together

Sounds to me like you've got some kind of short in your lighting circuit. Chances are you'll find it when you do the mods but of course if you do it renders the mod somewhat superfluous.

The thing about TLs now is they are all old and with that is bound to come all the interest that age brings. I'm the same but I'm just grateful that my gaskets haven't started leaking yet.
    Chassis is pretty knackered though. These aftermarket parts are never as good as the originals.
    Like my TL I'm old, overweight and badly maintained but I can still surprise you by how fast I can move.

Baby Twin
    Right, so in this headlight mod I see the recommendation for using male H4 connectors.... in the diagram I'm seeing three different spots as the output on the relays....if I remember correctly I only have 2 headlight sockets, so where is the mysterious third connection? I.e do I need 2 or 3 H4 connectors?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Depending on how adventurous you, you can make the headlight Mod harness yourself:
    If you have H4's in the UK, you only need one male H4 connector. The 4-pin relays should work fine. Not sure which diagram you're referring to with 3 connectors, but you only need one, but this is the one I look at.

OR you can be lazy and buy the kit pre-made at easternbeaver.com.

*IMWO = In My WORTHLESS Opinion.

Baby Twin
    Hmmm think I need to get the side panels off and look at all the wiring and try and match everything up to the diagram as I think I have a fundamental misunderstanding of whats what at the moment, will have a look this evening, thanks.

Edit: you know what, I'll just buy that kit from easternbeaver, spent far too long messing around with this to take any chances on my own dodgy wiring or muck ups.

Is it definitely this one I need:

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring...ts.html#h4dual

Quote Originally Posted by Methtical View Post
    Hmmm think I need to get the side panels off and look at all the wiring and try and match everything up to the diagram as I think I have a fundamental misunderstanding of whats what at the moment, will have a look this evening, thanks.

Edit: you know what, I'll just buy that kit from easternbeaver, spent far too long messing around with this to take any chances on my own dodgy wiring or muck ups.

Is it definitely this one I need:

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring...ts.html#h4dual
    That would be correct. Take the "with Fuse holder" option if you do not have an auxiliary fuse box.

*IMWO = In My WORTHLESS Opinion.

Baby Twin
    Greetings again, hope you all had a good chistmas!

So over the festive season my replacment starter relay from Brainless arrived, I've wired that up and installed and bike starts ok so that seems to have gone well.

Today the Headlight Relay fixture arrived, so its dumb question time - looking at the picture below, the bits circuled in red obviously plug into the headlights, but I can't see where the plug circled in yellow connects to?

the plug circled yellow plugs in to the OE headlight connectors this is used to operate the relays
    www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk

I want to ride like hell on my TL

Baby Twin
    I'm guessing that must be tucked up behind the dashboard then as I can't see it anywhere else?

its what you pull off the bulbs

the same as the other two connectors you have circled red
    www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk

I want to ride like hell on my TL

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links