chain destroying engine?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: chain destroying engine?

Baby Twin

chain destroying engine?

hey everyone new here, love the tl's. saturday im lookin at a 1999 tl1000r, the guy told me he thinks the previous owner put a new motor on it because according to him, the chains can snap and go threw the engine case.

i'm just curious if this is a massive red flag, he said he's had the bike and put on about 3k miles and no problems but then again whats his word really worth, but assuming he's not BSing me, just curious about that, and any other special things to these bikes to look for thanks

Chains can surely snap smashing engine cases. Sometimes the chain can fall on the street with no harm done. Usually when a chain snaps, it's because of an ooooold worn out and stretched chain. I'd look at the bike closely for lack of maintanance. Or lack of really. These bikes are super tough too. Mines been under 3 feet of salt water. It's fine other than a new harness and fresh fluids. Many others here can attest to the love and build quality in these things. Poor maintanance will kill anything. Don't let this new engine be a deterrent either. As long as it runs well and doesn't smoke. Lol. Long wheelies kill TL motors too. Could have been that too if he doesn't know for sure. What's on the odometer?

Evil Twin
    If you really want to know if there is a different engine in it, have him show you the title. Usually, the engine number will be on it. If the replacement engine wasn't reported to the DMV, then the old number will be on the title and you will know for sure what the guy is telling is true.

Rick

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

What's your location (it's not in your profile) and what's the engine serial number?

High-performance large-displacement twins are all hard on chains. You have to use good ones. They break for idiots. Usually the bike just lays the chain out on the ground, but it can easily break the engine cases and can even destroy the brace on the left side of the swingarm. One TL I bought was like that. But when it happens it's usually the fault of the owner, not the bike.
    It's about control skill; this is a motorized dance for joy and not Russian roulette.

Engine numbers aren't on titles anymore.

If that did indeed happen it means the PO wasn't much for maintenance, so you'll have a bike with questionable maintenance history. You'll also have no idea how many miles are on the engine. Neither is a deal killer, but just something to consider.
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Colonel Jeff Cooper, in "The Art of the Rifle"

Jeff

TLZone Forums Staff - Resident Stodgy ME

Questions about the Forums? Click Here

Scooter hottie chauffeur Rifleman's Avatar
    I've written several threads on chain maint. Keep your chain in good order and it won't be a problem. The Tsubuki Sigma is rated at over 10,000 lbm tensil strength and I dare even Riddick to produce a TL engine that can pull beyond that.

Some guys go to a 520 to save weight (and a little unsprung weight) but I'd stick with the 530 unless you are a GP racer trying to over take Rossi on the front straight.
    Need a 1/5th throttle insert, or need to know how to install it click me now. and get the kewl new installation instructions in downloadable .pdf format.

Silver metalic flake Clear Clutch cover has been sold See what was available.

Use a decent chain and it won't break. Use a crap one and it might. Lots of folks try to cheap out and put crap chains on bikes. It never ends well and often ends badly. The DID 530ZVMX2 is my fave. Solid 40k mile chain and super-strong. If you are doing a 520 there are ones out there with the strength, but they'll wear quicker. The ERV-3 (I think) is pretty bulletproof. Use it on the XR which is probably harder on a chain than the TL.

Engine numbers are on titles for some states I think -- I'm pretty sure CA still uses them, I know when I sold my bandit there I had to give the lady the engine number so she could fill out the paperwork for the new owner's title.

Josh

TL Zone Forum Staff - Resident RAIN RIDER

Questions about The Forums? Click Here

1997 TL1000S/V
    - TLR Akro Evo Ti Exhaust - PCII - 5.5" rear rim & 180/55 - Avon AV45/46ST tires - No Steering damper- Uni Filter -Relocated Temp sensor & 98+ t-stat housing/wp cover - TLRCrazy1 Fan Switch Mod - Dual Star heated Grips - HeliBars - 60k miles.

9k mile summer ride report [summer '08]

Ride report: Oshkosh, Rockies, UT, NV, CA, Bajal [summer '09]

Bikepilot, you reminded me about how bad my XR was on chains. Big singles eat chains like nothing I've seen before.

Yep, especially when you ride them into the sea of cortez, get stuck in the mud than hammer out a couple thousand miles of whoops

I was thankful for the strenght of the ERT3 (or ERV3 or whatever it is) last summer, that's for sure. Crunched enough rockes between the chain and sprockets that it tore off several hardened steel teeth, but it didn't even require an adjustment after the abuse (I slipped on a new front sprocket, complete with all 15 teeth when I got back stateside).

Josh

TL Zone Forum Staff - Resident RAIN RIDER

Questions about The Forums? Click Here

1997 TL1000S/V
    - TLR Akro Evo Ti Exhaust - PCII - 5.5" rear rim & 180/55 - Avon AV45/46ST tires - No Steering damper- Uni Filter -Relocated Temp sensor & 98+ t-stat housing/wp cover - TLRCrazy1 Fan Switch Mod - Dual Star heated Grips - HeliBars - 60k miles.

9k mile summer ride report [summer '08]

Ride report: Oshkosh, Rockies, UT, NV, CA, Bajal [summer '09]

Wow! I just killed mine locally. Forgot what chain was on it last. I didn't keep the old girl too long. Tires and chain lasting 1000 miles is super bike territory. Not 35 horsepower dual sport territory. Lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links