removing RAM Air system
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: removing RAM Air system

Baby Twin

removing RAM Air system

Ive started stripping my Tls down, im thinking of streetfightering it with a round chrome headlight, is there much difference if i junk the ram air? bike ghas got dropped gearing, a TRE, K+N filter and Blue flame cans.
    I know the bike runs richer to compensate for the ram air in the higher gears, does the TRE make the bike fuel the same in the lower gears seeing as it makes the bike think is in higher gear all the time?
    My thinking is the richer ram air map should balance out with the extra air from the K+N and the better flow through the pipes.
    Think im going to get a power comander for it too, I take it I will be able to have it mapped to run without the ram air? seeing a dynos dont replicate wind speed it should be ok shouldnt it?
    Cheers in advance
    If its not broke, fix it until it is.......

Sam
    The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator
    Removing the tubes knocks about 7bhp off

You basically chop 2 feet off the induction length and the airbox is no longer "tuned" and doesn't work, the harmonics go to crap, no amount of mixture adjustment will get it back

TLOTM Nov 04, March 06, June 07, July 10, Aug 11, Sept 12 and TLOTY 2007 and 2010

PM Me for Help & Prices with GSXR/Busa Radial Fork Conversion Kits, 1080cc Big Bore Kits and Welded Clutch Centres

And the TRE does nothing to the fueling. Ignition only

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Not trying to hijack, but I'm on the same topic here. If you don't have the foam sealing stuff between the two points on the airbox, you're going to lose something too right?

Upside Down Super Mod
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchus51 View Post
    And the TRE does nothing to the fueling. Ignition only
    %th gear is 1/2 point richer than 1-4. 6th gear is another 1/2 point richer than 5th for a full point richer than 1-4 via some data logging done by ArtD, so the GPS does affect fueling.

i.e If you have 14:1 in 1-4, it's 13:1 in 6th.
    My $0.02c, always just my $0.02c Steve

"I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

TLZone Forums Staff - Resident Antipodean
    Questions about the Forums? Click Here

Baby Twin
    the Tre does alter the fueling so Im led to belive as it makes the bike think its in 5th gear, apparently the Tl switches to a richer map in 4th gear plus to compensate for the extra air from the ram air, so in effect with a tre on you will be running richer in 1st 2nd and 3rd, or so I am led to believe.
    7bhp I can live with
    If its not broke, fix it until it is.......

i had the RAM air tubes off my gsxr 600 k7 last year, took her to creseant suzuki and they reckon i was loosing 30bhp from not having ramair system? dunno if this aplies to TL but i would have thought its all same system so works all the same?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

Quote Originally Posted by Schiben View Post
    Not trying to hijack, but I'm on the same topic here. If you don't have the foam sealing stuff between the two points on the airbox, you're going to lose something too right?
    Also, where the ram-air tubes feed into the base of the airbox............ if they're not located properly then ram-air will "leak" out of the gaps. I've extended the tubes by making inserts from the tubes into the openings in the a'box, seals perfectly and do not vibrate or move out.
    Mark.

TLOTM JULY '11

People I will not deal with: tl1000s/tl1000r Will/2012-krystal or whatever he decides he might/might not call himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Toledo View Post
    Also, where the ram-air tubes feed into the base of the airbox............ if they're not located properly then ram-air will "leak" out of the gaps. I've extended the tubes by making inserts from the tubes into the openings in the a'box, seals perfectly and do not vibrate or move out.
    i'm going to do similar on my spare airbox when i do the airbox mod
    the tl ram air does appear to be badly set up,
    also looking through many of the threads on the airbox mod i was wondering if anyone else has fitted a diffuser in the airbox when they did the mod to try stop the air from both inlet tubes hitting each other, must cause some unwanted turbulance must that
    Who's fkin happy??.?? not me said snow white.WP rear damper gsxr k4/5 forks with gold calipers ,blackshadow discs,soon to be a hid/projector headlight,Harris adjustable rearsets,,pc2 k&n, zero limits seat hump,folding levers,mattyj clear clutch cover,rifleman 1/5th insert,more to come ..........

Quote Originally Posted by gaztl1000r View Post
    i was wondering if anyone else has fitted a diffuser in the airbox when they did the mod to try stop the air from both inlet tubes hitting each other, must cause some unwanted turbulance must that
    Me I put ramps in and one at the top of the tower to deflect away from the sudden stop by the hole leading up under the filter.

I Dyno'd my bike before and after the airbox mod, (it was the only thing I'd changed between runs) and the mods made no difference.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links