GSX-R fuel pump swap.
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GSX-R fuel pump swap.

GSX-R fuel pump swap.

I don't know if this has been covered before but if not I hope this helps. My TLS fuel pump has 52,000 plus miles on it and the tank was very rusty. So I stripped and creamed the inside of the fuel tank. I was planning on just changing the fuel pump gasket and fuel filter. I managed to find a good condition GSX-R 750 K6 fuel pump. Upon taking it apart I discovered that the pump body itself would fit the TLS housing. I'd rather have a pump that's newer and with less miles than my 52,000 plus mile 13 year old fuel pump. Finding good used pumps is getting harder as our bikes get older so if you could get a pump from a newer bike for less money that sounds like a good idea to me. All I had to do was change over the pick up mesh screen and use the GSX-R in tank pump harness. The GSX-R has a plug on the pump instead of a nut and bolt attachment. Also I had to clip one of the extra GSX-R ground wires that used to go to the fuel level float. Here are some pictures of the swap. I still have to go get some gas before I can see how she runs.

TLS and GSX-R pumps.

TLS and GSX-R pumps.

TLS and GSX-R pumps.

The finished fuel pump assembly.
    2002 TL1000R, Air box mod, Pipercross air filter, Full yoshimura RS-3 stainless, Yoshimura box remap. R-1 throttle tube, Bitubo rear shock, Vandriver billet rear resovoir, tail risers, +1mm swingarm eccentrics, sprocket cover.

Future plans. 12.6:1 pistons, Web cams and gears, PCIII, Matchported and cleaned up heads, Vandriver triple clamps and clutch cover...

SOLD2004 GSX-R 1000, K&N air filter, Full yoshimura carbon TRS exhaust, -1 front sprocket. 148.3 horsepower and 73.14 ft-lbs torque.

2000 TL1000R track bike. K&N air cleaner, yoshimura RS-3 carbon full system with dual oxygen sensor bungs. Stock engine for now......

1997 TL1000S, soon to be TLR powered....

noice one mate
    The idea is not to buy cheap but to buy right!

Will this work on a tlr?
    Do what you can, where you are, with what you have.
    Teddy Roosevelt

Vandriver's CCC, Tail risers, Matt's TRE-3, Vapor digital dash, shortened D&Ds, flush mount signals, air horn, fender eliminator, integrated tail light/ turn signals, pair mod, tinted double bubble, frame sliders. Soon: Vandriver's flexplate. Need....more....mods.

*R.I.P. Harold "Lee" Fisher* Owned an RC51.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Great write up, any chance that you looked up the flow of the new pump?

Quote Originally Posted by Patch11 View Post
    noice one mate
    Thanks, I should have her running tomorrow as soon as I find my rubber fuel tank supports.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsy74 View Post
    Will this work on a tlr?
    I cant think of a reason it would not. From what I have seen Suzuki uses Mitsubishi fuel pumps on all of their bikes. I'll have my TLR fuel pump out this week to change a leaking gasket. I'll double check the TLR pump.
    2002 TL1000R, Air box mod, Pipercross air filter, Full yoshimura RS-3 stainless, Yoshimura box remap. R-1 throttle tube, Bitubo rear shock, Vandriver billet rear resovoir, tail risers, +1mm swingarm eccentrics, sprocket cover.

Future plans. 12.6:1 pistons, Web cams and gears, PCIII, Matchported and cleaned up heads, Vandriver triple clamps and clutch cover...

SOLD2004 GSX-R 1000, K&N air filter, Full yoshimura carbon TRS exhaust, -1 front sprocket. 148.3 horsepower and 73.14 ft-lbs torque.

2000 TL1000R track bike. K&N air cleaner, yoshimura RS-3 carbon full system with dual oxygen sensor bungs. Stock engine for now......

Thanks. If all is the same would be a great way to keep the old girl running on fresh wear and tear parts.
    If the flow is less just use a gsxr 1k pump, right?
    Do what you can, where you are, with what you have.
    Teddy Roosevelt

Vandriver's CCC, Tail risers, Matt's TRE-3, Vapor digital dash, shortened D&Ds, flush mount signals, air horn, fender eliminator, integrated tail light/ turn signals, pair mod, tinted double bubble, frame sliders. Soon: Vandriver's flexplate. Need....more....mods.

*R.I.P. Harold "Lee" Fisher* Owned an RC51.

Quote Originally Posted by vandriver View Post
    Great write up, any chance that you looked up the flow of the new pump?
    I think they are all the same flow rate. I'm pretty sure I've checked the flow rate at some point in the past. I have a manual for the GSX-R but it's down at my storage unit. It will be a few days before I can get down there.

Upside Down Super Mod
    I don't know about the 750's or the 600's but the 1000 pump wont work (if the regulator is inbuilt in the pump).

The tell tail sign is 'does the donor bike have a return line from the rail' like the TL does?

The GSXR 1000 doesn't have a return line. There is a regulator in the pump that causes the output pressure to be at an absolute pressure of 43psi.

The TL has a rail regualtor that keeps the pressure 42psi (43psi?) above the manifold pressure (vacuum) i.e it's not referenced to atmosphere but is 42psi above throttle body pressure.

The TL pump has an output of 69~90psi and the rail regulator takes care of the rest.

The GSXR pump outputs 43psi referenced to the atmosphere and the ECU takes care of the rest.

(Unless the GSXR regulator is separate to the pump? I can't tell in the manual, it looks like it's in the pump body though. Got a pic of the GSXR unit assembled?).
    Last edited by Steve TLS; 01-26-2010 at 12:41 AM.
    My $0.02c, always just my $0.02c Steve

"I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

TLZone Forums Staff - Resident Antipodean
    Questions about the Forums? Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Steve TLS View Post
    ... The GSXR 1000 doesn't have a return line. There is a regulator in the pump that causes the output pressure to be at an absolute pressure of 43psi ......
    Yup, internal regulator - have to believe the 750 is same, GSXR was using that even on 03/04 1000 model. And parts fiche shows no regulator in the 06 750 pump assembly or fuel rail so must be in the pump (like the 1000)
    Suzuki TL1000S..........Suzuki SV650S..........Triumph Daytona

<a href=http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll224/decosse01/Misc/Triple_Threat.jpg target=_blank>http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...ple_Threat.jpg</a>

Good one, Steve! It's the same for the GSX-R 1000 K5/K6, no return line.

Apart from that I stopped installing used fuel pumps. I checked 3 of them, all 3 failed the most simple test (return flow). So it's a waste of money, buy them once new. I scored some new Raptor fuel pump units (identical to TLR unit) on ebay and was able to swap the pump over to a TLS base plate.

If we could find a source for NEW Mitsubishi pumps for the TL, that would be a real step forward. Suzuki sells only the unit with the base plate at a crazy expensive price.

Greetings
    Rufer
    German TL1000cup champion 2007, 2008 & 2009. Now on GSX-R 1000 K5/K6

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links