headlights not coming on

Thread: headlights not coming on

headlights not coming on

OK,
    So my headlights aren't coming on for my 98 TLR. I have checked the fuse and it is ok. Replaced one bulb with one that I know was working from another TLR. Any other ideas as to why it would be coming on? From what I can tell, the clutch master cylinder is missing those two wires that connect onto the male connectors, but I believe the wires are spliced directly into the wire harness instead.

Any ideas or things to check would be very helpful.

Clutch switch has nothing to do with the headlights, just for your start circuit.

Do neither Hi or Lo work? Does it make any difference whether light switch is in Hi or Lo position?
    Fuse for Hi is #1, for Lo is #2 - both are 15A.

You do want to check the condition of the interconnect plug from the left bar switch - follow the cable down from the switch to the connector plug - make sure that both ends are clean making good connections; if oxidized you can buy a cleaner/conditioner from Radio Shack called DeOxit; then use dielectric grease afterwards to ensure that it stays waterproof and free from re-oxidizing.

Repeat the process for the right bar switch - NOTE: the right bar switch must ALSO be connected in order to get the lights on - the power loops through that switch assembly.
    So ensure that the right switch is also connected and its connector plugs equally clean & in order.

Remember too ignition needs to be on also. Does your ignition power up as expected?

Other troubleshooting: I know you're putting this thing back together
    Do any of the lights work? Parking lights - front &/or Rear? Brake light? Turn Signals?

Do you have a Voltmeter?
    Reference all your measurements with the black lead on the battery -ve.
    Ignition needs to be on.

1) Check for 12V at connector plug pin with the yellow/white wire
    If it's Good, then check for 12V at the white wire (switch side of connector) with switch in Lo and 12V on the Yellow with the switch on Hi.
    If all of that is good, then problem is either in the fuses or the lamps.

2) If you Don't have 12V on the Yellow/white don't bother checking the high & low outputs described above.
    Instead Check for 12V at the yellow/white on the right bar connector plug - will be yellow/white on the harness side connecting to an orange/red on the switch side which should be just a loop connecting around to the black/red on the harness side. Then check that you have 12V on the black/red - that originates from the ignition so hopefully you have that present.
    Last edited by D'Ecosse; 01-17-2009 at 11:33 AM.
    Suzuki TL1000S..........Suzuki SV650S..........Triumph Daytona

<a href=http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll224/decosse01/Misc/Triple_Threat.jpg target=_blank>http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...ple_Threat.jpg</a>

Neither hi nor low work for the headlights. I will double check both fuses again. Ignition does power on and I get all other lights - guages, blinkers, etc.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Pull off the left ram air cover and check the connectors for corrosion or burned wires.
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Colonel Jeff Cooper, in "The Art of the Rifle"

Jeff

TLZone Forums Staff - Resident Stodgy ME

Questions about the Forums? Click Here

Here you go - I put together a schematic for the headlight wiring

<a href=http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll224/decosse01/Misc/Triple_Threat.jpg target=_blank>http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...ple_Threat.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by 1crock View Post
    Pull off the left ram air cover and check the connectors for corrosion or burned wires.
    Common problem with the 'R'.
    MTC pipes, Tre, Airbox mod, 1/5 throttle insert, fan switch, 16/39 gearing, PC11, +/- mods, Double bubble, Pilot Powers 2cts Hagon shock. intergrated L.E.D. indicators/rear lights, mirror indicators,rear view camera/monitor.

D' was right, it was a bad connection in the left switch block yellow connector. If I jiggle the connector, the headlights are now working. Guess I will be getting some of that deoxidizer.

Now onto the fuel pump which is not engaging when the starter button is pressed on.

Here's the DeOxit stuff at Radio Shack

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2104746

Really expensive unfortunately - it's $15 for the set

(If you don't want to burn that much money, try some WD40 on them)

Also pick up some dielectric grease at an autoparts store - squeeze that into the connectors before you plug them back together. That prevents any further deterioration & re-oxidizing. (common misconception that it improves the connection - it doesn't - it's actually non-conductive!)

Baby Twin
    Quote Originally Posted by xetremex View Post
    D' was right, it was a bad connection in the left switch block yellow connector. If I jiggle the connector, the headlights are now working. Guess I will be getting some of that deoxidizer.

Now onto the fuel pump which is not engaging when the starter button is pressed on.
    jiggling the yellow wire worked for me.

Sponsored Links