replace ignition with on/off switch - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: replace ignition with on/off switch

Sam
    The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator
    On my race bike I use the kill switch for the main ignition switch. I used the kill switch to operate a relay for the main ignition wires. I actually used a 4 pole relay so I could do the resister back to the ecu aswell but I'm sure that resister can be left connected permanently.

You can't just connect the ignition wires and only use the kill switch as you will have the coils live continuosly

TLOTM Nov 04, March 06, June 07, July 10, Aug 11, Sept 12 and TLOTY 2007 and 2010

PM Me for Help & Prices with GSXR/Busa Radial Fork Conversion Kits, 1080cc Big Bore Kits and Welded Clutch Centres

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    You can't just connect the ignition wires and only use the kill switch as you will have the coils live continuosly
    Not so Sam - the coils (same circuit as the fuel pump relay & ECM also) receive power AFTER the kill switch - having kill off, will take power off the coils & pump & ECM.

With no other 'road' functions - like lights, ancillaries etc, you could just use the kill switch - re-wire the neutral light power to after the switch.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails replace ignition with on/off switch-power_cct.jpg  
    Suzuki TL1000S..........Suzuki SV650S..........Triumph Daytona

<a href=http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll224/decosse01/Misc/Triple_Threat.jpg target=_blank>http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...ple_Threat.jpg</a>

Sam
    I stand corrected Ken

TLOTM Nov 04, March 06, June 07, July 10, Aug 11, Sept 12 and TLOTY 2007 and 2010

PM Me for Help & Prices with GSXR/Busa Radial Fork Conversion Kits, 1080cc Big Bore Kits and Welded Clutch Centres

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Rare when you need it Sam!

This could be unique event!

<a href=http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll224/decosse01/Misc/Triple_Threat.jpg target=_blank>http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...ple_Threat.jpg</a>

Sam
    Been playing on my mind....

If you intend to use the stock clocks on a racebike or cooling fan then you would need further rewiring if you plan to use the kill switch as the main on/off switch as they will have continuous power, not an ideal solution in my opinion.

The main red feed to the ignition switch comes from the Main fuse located in the starter relay unit. The ignition switch connects this to the Orange which then feeds fuse 3 and 4 before the kill switch. These feeds are for all the ancillaries like the clocks, fan switch, coolant temp, rev counter etc etc

I re-wired my whole loom to strip off all the redundant crap and safety relays etc and also reverse-wired much of it to move the fuses under the seat.

Regarding the ignition switch I basically cut and re-wired the kill switch wires (+ve from the battery and the other to earth via the relay) to contact the main Orange & Red wires at the ignition switch together, then everything works as it should and your battery won't drain over a short period due to having things permantly live

Also don't forget you still need a 100 Ohm resister between the O/Y and B/W wires where the ignition switch was

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    .... I basically cut and re-wired the kill switch wires (+ve from the battery and the other to earth via the relay) to contact the main Orange & Red wires at the ignition switch together...
    That red part sounds a bit Oirish Sam - but agree that is the best way to do it.

You can do it like this -

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails replace ignition with on/off switch-power_cct_2.jpg  

Sam

You're much better at photoshop than me

What's the resistor for? Where's it in the circuit?
    It's about control skill; this is a motorized dance for joy and not Russian roulette.

Upside Down Super Mod
    Ken drew the resistor in both his drawings, the manual shows it as a regular switch but it switches a resistance. It's built into the ignition barrel.

It's a nasty anti hotwiring feature.

Leave it open and you'll get a C42 error code and the bike wont start. Short it out and you'll get a C42 error code and the bike wont start.
    My $0.02c, always just my $0.02c Steve

"I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

TLZone Forums Staff - Resident Antipodean
    Questions about the Forums? Click Here

that resistor in the barrel stopped the thieving shit from starting my bike and driving away when i had my bike temporarily pinched last year

wonder if by using a relay the switch could be junked and perhaps the led output from an alarm could make the circuit live or closed depending on
    alarm being on or off
    that would confuse the most tallented of scum when they try to look for ign barrel to rape

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links