Stock ECU reprogrammable? - Page 13
Page 13 of 148 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Stock ECU reprogrammable?

Quote Originally Posted by abn View Post
    Just a nagging question...If we need to access the BDM port to write to the ECU, what do the Yosh Box/Teka or other re-flash devices write to? Pardon my ignorance and thanks for any explanation...
    This is a good question....

Upside Down Super Mod
    Just a nagging question...If we need to access the BDM port to write to the ECU, what do the Yosh Box/Teka or other re-flash devices write to? Pardon my ignorance and thanks for any explanation...
    The existing port gives you access to areas that they (men in white coats) wanted to give you access to.

I think BDM port will give full access, access to the whole code, areas they (men in white coats) didn't want you to access.
    My $0.02c, always just my $0.02c Steve

"I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

TLZone Forums Staff - Resident Antipodean
    Questions about the Forums? Click Here

It's a good question. The good answer is found here:
    http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spa...picID=11416962

98 Suzuki TLR, parted.
    OG Member, TLR Hacking Club.
    GarageEndeavors.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

ridgeracer, when you get this done we are just north of you in Vancouver and have gixerr160's race bike at a shop that sponsers us with a dyno. We can get unlimited dyno runs to sort it out if that helps, also the owner of the shop has a TL as well so he likes using our race bike as a guinea pig for things, we are up over 300 pulls on the dyno so far.

You can't do these kind of runs on an inertia duno can you? You need to be able to keep rpms constant and trottle constant and measure A/F ratio to be able to make a correct custom map or are there ways to do this even on an inertia dyno?
    Done: -98 thermostat housing + bypass mod, Rifleman's 1/5'th, black screen, 17/40 sprockets, home made ATRE, Bitubo rear shock, Barnett clutch springs, split steering damper bracket, iridium plugs, D&D CF full system, +/- mod, Van fork sliders, Ziggy999 frame sliders, Pazzo shorty levers, US headlight, Busa front MC, Galfer SS lines, TLR 6-potters, airbox mod, PCII, Van sprocket cover, EBC front brake discs, TI rotor bolts, Van clear clutch cover, 6-spring clutch, Van clutch plate, Scotts oil filter, K&N, Stealth sprocket, full TLR M4 system, custom oil cooler bracket, Geelong CF tank bra.

Todo:CF undertail/gap mod, Discacciati discs, fork revalving, improve crank case breather, custom head light

Upside Down Super Mod
    Quote Originally Posted by ffaspector View Post

I didn't see an answer to that question there?
    My $0.02c, always just my $0.02c Steve

"I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

TLZone Forums Staff - Resident Antipodean
    Questions about the Forums? Click Here

pad
    The Yosh box settings are read by the ECU and stored in a separate location to the MAP’S in the ECU.
    If you look at one of the 3D fuel maps and imagine the Yosh box idle,low,medium,high settings
    Attached to the 3D map like pieces of string pulling the map up and down .
    You have 4 peaces of string affecting a map with hundreds of points
    You can make things generally richer or leaner but you cannot fix specific problems.

abn

Cool, I think I found it:

"The way it works is there are 12 adjustment bytes, a hi, med, and low, for each cylinder in the serial EEPROM. At reset, if the EEPROM is not corrupted, these bytes are copied into RAM. When the bike is running the ECU calculates the injector duration using the map, air pressure, throttle etc. and then uses the RAM adjustment byte to offset plus or minus the injector value."

No the next nagging question...What the heck makes a BDM to parallel port cable worth over $100?

Quote Originally Posted by ffaspector View Post

No the next nagging question...What the heck makes a BDM to parallel port cable worth over $100?
    Not sure. It might just be what they feel they can charge, due to the Prog16z software only working with that cable. I tried a different BDM cable + software(cost much more than $200) and it would not communicate with the Freescale chip. Reverse engineering the cable, once it arrives, is something I'll be looking into, but obviously I'll be concentrating more on the fun stuff like flashing the bike...

98 Suzuki TLR, parted.
    OG Member, TLR Hacking Club.
    GarageEndeavors.com

..What the heck makes a BDM to parallel port cable worth over $100?
    Like everything it is only worth what people are willing to pay for it.

The physical hardware interface would not be hard to make and could be done with any number of small micro controllers like a PIC or Parallax propeller. The software needed to read the ECU via the BDM is also very basic.

The hard part is the programming software. You need to use the BDM to load a programming routine into ram of the CPU and then execute it. The BDM doesn't actually program the CPU it only downloads the program into the CPU that actually flashes it and transfers the data to flash to the flash program.

Given the time and energy it would have taken to design a do it yourself BDM with software I decided to go with the off the shelf solution.

Sponsored Links