Auto-tune O2 sensor location?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto-tune O2 sensor location?

Auto-tune O2 sensor location?

I'm planning on fitting a Power Commander V to my 97 TL S. I want to install an auto tune kit but I'm not sure if I need a single or dual channel kit. I would assume the dual-channel setup would be better but the only way to get a really clean sampling of exhaust gases off the rear cylinder will be off of the stub pipe. As it is a TLS I would have to drop the engine to weld in an exhaust O2 sensor bung. I guess my question is, is the Dual Channel setup better than the single enough to justify removing the engine to install it?
    2002 TL1000R, Air box mod, Pipercross air filter, Full yoshimura RS-3 stainless, Yoshimura box remap. R-1 throttle tube, Bitubo rear shock, Vandriver billet rear resovoir, tail risers, +1mm swingarm eccentrics, sprocket cover.

Future plans. 12.6:1 pistons, Web cams and gears, PCIII, Matchported and cleaned up heads, Vandriver triple clamps and clutch cover...

SOLD2004 GSX-R 1000, K&N air filter, Full yoshimura carbon TRS exhaust, -1 front sprocket. 148.3 horsepower and 73.14 ft-lbs torque.

2000 TL1000R track bike. K&N air cleaner, yoshimura RS-3 carbon full system with dual oxygen sensor bungs. Stock engine for now......

1997 TL1000S, soon to be TLR powered....

Superbike Twin
    I will atemps to do this on M4 headers.

I have not given up yet on putting the bung in the back past the swingarm.

You use the stock headers ?

Oh, and I read the bung as to be beetwin 6inch and 18inch.

I will be putting a full yoshimura system on it in a few weeks.
    2002 TL1000R, Air box mod, Pipercross air filter, Full yoshimura RS-3 stainless, Yoshimura box remap. R-1 throttle tube, Bitubo rear shock, Vandriver billet rear resovoir, tail risers, +1mm swingarm eccentrics, sprocket cover.

Future plans. 12.6:1 pistons, Web cams and gears, PCIII, Matchported and cleaned up heads, Vandriver triple clamps and clutch cover...

SOLD2004 GSX-R 1000, K&N air filter, Full yoshimura carbon TRS exhaust, -1 front sprocket. 148.3 horsepower and 73.14 ft-lbs torque.

2000 TL1000R track bike. K&N air cleaner, yoshimura RS-3 carbon full system with dual oxygen sensor bungs. Stock engine for now......

1997 TL1000S, soon to be TLR powered....

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Superbike Twin
    I have 90 degree and 45 degree bungs on order.

Will look under the bike this week end to hopefully get some ideas.

2 sensors, locate the bungs where you can get to them when the exhaust system is fitted on the bike.
    Aprrox. 12 to 18 inches back from the engine flange and before any merging or crossover pipes.
    Try and mount the bungs horizontal or slightly higher, this will help keep any moisture out of the sensor.
    This mainly applies to the front pipe, as rear pipe access is limited to, in most cases on the vertical (or near)
    before the pipe passes through the swingarm.
    Double Trouble - Two Black 98 TLSs

Full Yosh RS3 stainless C/f cans, Ohlins/Bitubo SOAS 850lb spring, Ohlins damper/Race Tech Gold valves & 1kg springs/7.5wt oil, Brembo 19RCS/ZX750RR 96-99 Nissin 6 pots/Earls SS lines, air box mod/TLR bell mouths & tank oil return, PAIRed, Flashed, Rifleman's 1/5, Matt's TRE-3, 17-39 sprockets, Sam's GXSR /STM slipper, V2 RHA, Marvic rims.

M4 headers/Yosh Ti cans, Traxxion 05-R1 shock conversion/Bitubo SOAS 850lb spring/Ziggy's RHA, Attack Racing adjustable triples/Ohlins R&T FG838 forks/Ohlins damper, Brembo 19RCS/ZX750RR 96-99 Nissin 6 pots/rear GXSR 1K 01-02 Nissin caliper/Earls SS lines/Galfer wave rotors, Sam's GXSR/STM slipper clutch/Factory Pro shift kit, air box mod/TLR BM & TOR, PAIRed, Rifleman's 1/5, Matt's TRE-3, PVM 6 spoke rims/190-55/Gilles adjusters/Renthal 17-40 sprockets, + some Titanium, Ring in & Van bits....

Track Bike - 01 Aprilia RSV Mille R/RR - 08 Motor, 1102 Big Bore kit.

Superbike Twin
    Dynojet said 6-18inchs.

If able to fit to rear,,,, that should be duplicated to the front.
    Meaning if it's 14inch from flange at back, then it should be put at 14inch also in the front.
    IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
    2 sensors, locate the bungs where you can get to them when the exhaust system is fitted on the bike.
    Aprrox. 12 to 18 inches back from the engine flange and before any merging or crossover pipes.
    Bill, do you have any photos of your setup?

January 2012 TLOTM & BBOTM

Superbike Twin
    There's a nice youtube vid of someone puting a full system on a 790 Duke.
    You have a nice view of the bung's and sensors put right before the crossover fairly close to the flange in that case.
    I can't look up for the vid right now...

I imagine that any closer than 6inch you would run into heat problems and maybe also o2 readings.

Quote Originally Posted by twin2 View Post
    Dynojet said 6-18inchs.

If able to fit to rear,,,, that should be duplicated to the front.
    Meaning if it's 14inch from flange at back, then it should be put at 14inch also in the front.
    IMO.
    They don't have to be exactly the same distance, reasonable will suffice.
    The main thing is to have access to them. The rear one is always the harder one to do.
    I would be amazed if you can place one within 8 inches of the rear head and still have access to it on our bikes.
    In the real world it will be closer to 12. The most important thing is to have the up stream (a head) and away of any joins in the exhaust.
    You just want the sensor to measure it's own head / pipe not a combination of, that and don't mount them in the under side of the pipe.

Full Yosh RS3 stainless C/f cans, Ohlins/Bitubo SOAS 850lb spring, Ohlins damper/Race Tech Gold valves & 1kg springs/7.5wt oil, Brembo 19RCS/ZX750RR 96-99 Nissin 6 pots/Earls SS lines, air box mod/TLR bell mouths & tank oil return, PAIRed, Flashed, Rifleman's 1/5, Matt's TRE-3, 17-39 sprockets, Sam's GXSR /STM slipper, V2 RHA, Marvic rims.

M4 headers/Yosh Ti cans, Traxxion 05-R1 shock conversion/Bitubo SOAS 850lb spring/Ziggy's RHA, Attack Racing adjustable triples/Ohlins R&T FG838 forks/Ohlins damper, Brembo 19RCS/ZX750RR 96-99 Nissin 6 pots/rear GXSR 1K 01-02 Nissin caliper/Earls SS lines/Galfer wave rotors, Sam's GXSR/STM slipper clutch/Factory Pro shift kit, air box mod/TLR BM & TOR, PAIRed, Rifleman's 1/5, Matt's TRE-3, PVM 6 spoke rims/190-55/Gilles adjusters/Renthal 17-40 sprockets, + some Titanium, Ring in & Van bits....

Happy to post some pics tonight.
    They will be from my Aprilia Mille R track bike.
    Still a V twin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links