TLZone Forums banner

replacing air box with clamp on filters?

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  wsmc831 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever replaced their airbox with clamp on air filters? I see the air box as just a huge waste of space and weight. I want to try and make some ram air tubes to go over some filters and was wondering if there would be any down sides to it. Any input would be great. And with the extra space I would like to make a larger gas tank to extend my range a bit, I'm gonna try to make one out of carbon fiber.

Matt

#4 ·
This needs to go into the Performance Unenhancement forum. :laugh

It's been done and it hurts performance. Not just because the engine sucks hotair, but because the airbox volume has gone.

The airbox while not the best design there is, is hardly a waste of space and weight. :no If you want to add some performance, make the airbox larger! Not smaller or disappear altogether.

#7 ·
...yet people still don't believe it.......

sure, the airbox is heavy, remove it and save weight! ..while using heavy wheels and eating at McDonalds. :laugh

#6 ·
I was going to make my own ram air tubes so it would still be drawing in cold air, I just didn't think that the volume of the airbox was a issue. If anything I think my new tubes would flow more than stock. I'm making it a fighter so the tubes will be easy to fab up. There's a few bike dynos around here, maybe ill try both and see what happens, guess if it don't work its reversiable.. looks like ill have to do some playing around. Why would the volume of the airbox do anything?

Thanks

#8 ·
Its called a still air , airbox

The lager the size the more the air can settle, then get drawn in to the motor.

better air better power.

Want to improve on it ? get better air TO it. high performance filter element, free flow tubes.

make sure the air getting out of it is well used.

#11 ·
lol...they are lighter wheels, they aren't magic wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.