TLR - Something Interesting - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: TLR - Something Interesting

  1. #21
    GP Champ rxf610's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Georgia, US
    Posts
    1,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickysnicker View Post
    If mine's on the kickstand, it shows empty. The sight glass is on the opposite side of the bike. BTW, that's not intended as a smart remark.
    Ricky I hope he means paddock stand. Even then, it's overfilled.
    ... listen to Six5 ...

  2. #22
    Platinum Subscriber JoshCampbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    1,758
    Quote Originally Posted by rxf610 View Post
    Tony,
    ... Right above the front sprocket is a bolt with a big ground strap. You should remove the bolt and clean it and the ring terminal area and reattach. I know you love cleaning!
    No idea what you're referring to.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    The TL1000R is the only bike that makes me nervous, because in my dreams it's the only bike I die on

  3. #23
    GP Champ rxf610's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Georgia, US
    Posts
    1,746
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshCampbell View Post
    No idea what you're referring to.
    I didn't call you Tony... those were 2 separate paragraphs...

    I will speak your favorite language... A PICTURE!



    That is the main chassis ground. Basically the path to ground for everything.
    .. Disregard that second wire. That is my Six5 Approved Grounding Mod...
    ... listen to Six5 ...

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #24
    Evil Twin
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    490
    Where exactly is that ground strap located? Thanks for the photo!

  6. #25
    GP Champ rxf610's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Georgia, US
    Posts
    1,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickysnicker View Post
    Where exactly is that ground strap located? Thanks for the photo!
    Ricky,

    Should have taken a picture of the engine on a bench and not my bike...



    Remove bolt. Clean bolt shoulder and engine surface. Take ground strap, clean it with a brass brush to get it nice and shiny. Put some dielectric grease if you are kinky. Reassemble.
    ... listen to Six5 ...

  7. #26
    AMA Pit Boss Six5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    4,042
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshCampbell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rxf610
    Tony,

    Isn't that burnt up wire in the foreground the ground spade that you suggest completely eliminating?
    .....
    Eliott, if you are referring to this photo Josh posted, then yes, I agree, it looks like that single Spade connector on the main loom ground.
    It is a good time to get rid of it, while he is in there messing with the wires....

    Thanks for catching that.
    January 2012 TLOTM & BBOTM


  8. #27
    Evil Twin
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by rxf610 View Post
    Ricky,

    Should have taken a picture of the engine on a bench and not my bike...

    Remove bolt. Clean bolt shoulder and engine surface. Take ground strap, clean it with a brass brush to get it nice and shiny. Put some dielectric grease if you are kinky. Reassemble.
    Got it thanks!!!

  9. #28
    Platinum Subscriber JoshCampbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    1,758
    Still haven't replaced the inline fuse. After looking at it I'm thinking it's only necessary if I run it directly to the battery. If I run the wires to the Starter solenoid I can just use its 30 amp fuse.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    The TL1000R is the only bike that makes me nervous, because in my dreams it's the only bike I die on

  10. #29
    AMA Pit Boss Six5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    4,042
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshCampbell View Post
    Still haven't replaced the inline fuse. After looking at it I'm thinking it's only necessary if I run it directly to the battery. If I run the wires to the Starter solenoid I can just use its 30 amp fuse.
    Huh?

    Josh, I was reading through this thread again, and your last post quoted above struck me as odd. If I understand your comment correctly, you say the charging mod wires can be run directly to the starter solenoid and thereby avoid a new inline fuse.
    If so, how do you intend to connect to the starter solenoid?

    If you connect the wires at the same location where the battery cable connects, then you are in fact connecting directly to the battery and not going through the 30 amp fuse.

    In the OEM configuration, the main fuse is between the battery and the solid Red wire (from the SR connector) which is also tied directly to the Red/White wire inside starter relay. In order to use the fuse in the starter relay, you would have to connect the charging mod to one of those two wires. However, that would be a step in the wrong direction, because the tiny terminals in the starter relay connector are part of the original OEM charging problem. Those small terminals in the starter relay connector just can't handle the load placed on them,. That's why the headlight relay mod is recommended in conjunction with the charging mod, because it reduces the current flowing through those starter relay terminals.

    Maybe you can provide a few more details on the connections you actually made with your charging mod.
    Last edited by 1crock; 12-24-2019 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Fixed the quote.
    January 2012 TLOTM & BBOTM


  11. #30
    Platinum Subscriber JoshCampbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    1,758
    You're right Tony, I was referring to connecting the wires to the +/- terminals on the relay. I get the same 13.5 v charge via the relay terminals as I do with directly connecting them to the +/- terminals on the battery.

    My thinking was that the 30amp fuse protects against all voltages coming FROM the battery into the relay, and since the battery terminals connect directly to the relay terminals, then the fuse protects against all voltages going from the relay terminals to the main loom.

    I may have explained it poorly. Basically the 30 amp relay fuse bridges everything going into the relay terminals with the four wires leading to the loom. Thus the loom is protected against anything directly connected to the relay terminals.

    I will create a diagram and post it later. But this logic seems sound to me.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    The TL1000R is the only bike that makes me nervous, because in my dreams it's the only bike I die on

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •