Unhappy 99 TLR
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unhappy 99 TLR

Superbike Twin

Unhappy 99 TLR

Hi all,
    Had a ride out today, stopped for refreshments as we do, when I started the bike it ran for 2 seconds or so and cut out and didnt want to restart. I checked fuses, clutch switch and stuff but they seemed ok. I left the bike.for 30 mins and it fired up so I quickly put on my lid and gloves but after getting 100m down the road it cut again and tested my reaction on the clutch when the back wheel locked up.
    Any ideas im thinking regulator or CDI but dont want to buy replacements if the problem is elswhere ?
    Blue and white ones are faster

Platinum Subscriber JoshCampbell's Avatar
    Sounds like a bad or loose connection. Next time it dies reach down behind the left headlight, grab the cluster of wiring, and gently move it about. Easiest / fastest test you can do.

NOTE: Problem is less likely to be related to heat (cool down period) as it is to the vibration of the engine. Sometimes simply wiggling the handle bars during start up is enough to realign the connection enough to start, but then the vibration of the engine severs that connection again. Problem is definitely in the wiring.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    The TL1000R is the only bike that makes me nervous, because in my dreams it's the only bike I die on

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeblue View Post
    Hi all,
    Had a ride out today, stopped for refreshments as we do, when I started the bike it ran for 2 seconds or so and cut out and didnt want to restart. .....
    When it "cut out," did only the engine stop, or did all of the electrics fail too? Lights went out too?

When it "didn't want to restart," does that mean it would not crank over, and there was no action from the starter relay / stater motor?

Or, would it crank over OK, but the engine would not start?
    January 2012 TLOTM & BBOTM

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Superbike Twin
    Thanks for the replies guys. The engine cranked over fine I was suprised how healthy the battery was. I did remove the left ram air cover and check the wires but only the first time it cut out. The weird thing is i drove 40 miles home without problems after the second fault

...The weird thing is i drove 40 miles home without problems after the second fault
    Awwwe... brings back so many fond TLR memories. Don't worry mate, it will happen again. And again... And again... Hahaha....
    The TL1000R is the only bike that makes me nervous, because in my dreams it's the only bike I die on

Superbike Twin
    Lol Josh, hopefully all sorted, found a ropey connection under the seat mumified with tape when I moved the harness a cable fell out. Now made good with solder and insulated.Unhappy 99 TLR-20190513_181749.jpg

Superbike Twin
    Unhappy 99 TLR-20190513_183026.jpg

Yup, Fuel Pump wire. That will do it.

NOTE: Fortunately I saw the image before the site flipped it upside down

Superbike Twin
    Weird how the fuel pump made it cut out so fast. When I had fuel problems with other bikes it coughed and splutterd before hand

Weird how the fuel pump made it cut out so fast. When I had fuel problems with other bikes it coughed and splutterd before hand
    I'm sure Tony can explain that one if it's ECU related. My guess is your filter & Injectors are so badly clogged that without pressure from the pump the fuel stops dead in its tracks. Then again, it may just not be noticeable unless you're at WOT. Also depends on what you mean by "fuel problems". Who knows...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links