Storage
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storage

Storage

Hi all, i was just wondering if many of you store your bike over the winter months or even longer periods when not in use etc?
    I'm thinking of parking my bike in the garage over the next 12 months and was curious on the best way to store it. I have heard people say fill the tank up while others say empty it out? So I'm looking for advice from anyone on here on how the store their bike, best methods or what not to do. Here is my ideas so far so please correct if it's wrong.

*front and rear paddock stands.
    *trickle battery charger.
    *full tank of Petrol maybe?
    *start her up once a month
    *bike cover.

Not sure what else to do but if anyone else stores their bike for long periods then any advice would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Fangface View Post
    Hi all, i was just wondering if many of you store your bike over the winter months or even longer periods when not in use etc?
    I'm thinking of parking my bike in the garage over the next 12 months and was curious on the best way to store it. I have heard people say fill the tank up while others say empty it out? So I'm looking for advice from anyone on here on how the store their bike, best methods or what not to do. Here is my ideas so far so please correct if it's wrong.

*front and rear paddock stands.
    *trickle battery charger.
    *full tank of Petrol maybe?
    *start her up once a month
    *bike cover.

Not sure what else to do but if anyone else stores their bike for long periods then any advice would be appreciated.
    I'd say a little bit of fuel (cover the goods in the tank)... stabil in the tank
    Pull the battery entirely.
    ... listen to Six5 ...

Rxf610

Cheers mate was thinking of the optimate charger to keep the battery charged and the plates clean while it's on the bike but as you said may be best to disconnect it all together.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Personally, if I were to lay up a bike for that long I would also be inclined to flush out the rad & system - refill it. Also dump the oil and filter, flush out the engine and refill with new oil and filter. Run the bike and push the new stuff around.
    You can get some nasty acidic & gunky build up from engines and cooling systems left standing for long periods. Spraying on an inhibitor to the bikes non painted parts would also help keep the furry tarnish away too.
    Red, the ONLY Colour.....for a 1997 TLS.....
    (1) Sold the old girl now ....... she will be missed...

(2) UNO frame & swinger with 1040 Bimota (aka TLR) engine running 17x40 teeth, Hydraulic clutch conversion, Billet wndowed clutch cover & cut plate spinner, Dunlop tyres, PC3, TLS bodywork, GSXR750-TT forks with custom Wilbers springs etc, Nissin brake calipers all round, front ones radial, radial Nissin clutch & brake masters, GSXR1000 K5 clocks, PVM lightweight wheels, LED lights all round, Full Yoshi exhaust system, Carbon cans, Yoshi rearsets, K&N air filter, Wilbers custom rear shock, Custom paint job. Skidmarx bellypan, Low profile rear seat hump, MotoX bars, all round (literally) nice guy.

(3) Bog standard BMW R1150RT.

(4) Boxes of many parts waiting to be made into 2 more TLS's.

Workshop in Welham Green near Hatfield in Hertfordshire - TEKMOTIVE - 01707 265000 - www.tekmotive.co.uk.

Cheers tuckshop Ted, the bikes not long had an oil and filter change in the last month with less than 50 mile's done on it since, so hope that's adequate enough but dont think the rads been touched. I will clean her from top to bottom and apply autosol etc to keep her gleaming and fur free.👍😉

Cover parts in acf50. It'll stop corrosion. And you can wash it off when you decide to use it again.
    Probably won't need it but it won't hurt it.
    Mine are left in the garage from Oct until april or may each winter and tbh I usually wash them and put them away. Never used an optimate. My TL's don't run the batteries down. I may just give them a charge before riding just to give them a boost in the spring but they usually start ok.
    If you are leaving it for a year just disconnect he battery. The TL' s won't suffer for it not being connected. Might helto prise the brake pads off the discs incase they rust together especially after washing. .
    black TL1000Sx, owned from new, 01/08/1998, 86.000 miles.
    Red TL1000sv ,original 97 , bought from my girlfriend when we split owned by us since 2004. 30.000 miles.
    Honda XL500r. 1983. Owned since 1997. 30.000kms.
    r1200gs adventure with 106.000 miles.

Cheers gazza I will use some acf50 like you said, shes already clean so no need for a wash so dont think there's any moisture on the pads and i already have the optimate so will hook her upto it during storage to be on the safe side. 👍😉

I put Seafoam in a full tank of petrol if im leaving the bikes off the road for longer than 6 months.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEA-FOAM-...edirect=mobile

I also lift the bikes off their tyres so I can spin the wheels regularly to make sure the discs and pads don't seize or the tyres get flat spots, and it takes the weight off the suspension too.

'97 TL1000S Streetfighter 'Evil Twin' - Full colour wiring diagrams - click here for UK TLS - click here for US TLS - click here for UK TLR - click here for US TLR

Me, I do fuck all.

I park the bike up in what ever condition it is in, with whatever fuel it has and leave it on an Optimate for up to 6 months...............

...................... but then it gets a full service and check over before it get used again........................
    Red, the ONLY Colour.....for a 1997 TLS.....
    (1) Sold the old girl now ....... she will be missed...

(2) UNO frame & swinger with 1040 Bimota (aka TLR) engine running 17x40 teeth, Hydraulic clutch conversion, Billet wndowed clutch cover & cut plate spinner, Dunlop tyres, PC3, TLS bodywork, GSXR750-TT forks with custom Wilbers springs etc, Nissin brake calipers all round, front ones radial, radial Nissin clutch & brake masters, GSXR1000 K5 clocks, PVM lightweight wheels, LED lights all round, Full Yoshi exhaust system, Carbon cans, Yoshi rearsets, K&N air filter, Wilbers custom rear shock, Custom paint job. Skidmarx bellypan, Low profile rear seat hump, MotoX bars, all round (literally) nice guy.

(3) Bog standard BMW R1150RT.

(4) Boxes of many parts waiting to be made into 2 more TLS's.

Workshop in Welham Green near Hatfield in Hertfordshire - TEKMOTIVE - 01707 265000 - www.tekmotive.co.uk.

Wash, park it up, plug in the charger and start it up after a real cold spell. Dont just let it tick over that does them no good, apply the trottle when warm.
    Service, tyre pressure and once over before using in the spring. Never had an issue in twenty years with various bikes.
    Blue and white ones are faster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links