2000 tl1000r
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2000 tl1000r

Baby Twin
    I recently bought a tlr 1000 with 15,000 miles it run great.. Its my first bike like this, and son I changed the oil just to make sure and be positive that it was good. When I was finished I cycled it and checked the oil level and once it was good I took it for a spin and after a quick acceleration but not to aggressive it seemed to loose a bit of power.. So I pulled over about a mile after and when it got to low rpms I could hear a knocking noise not sure crime where except that it was in the engine.. And when it got to almost an idle it died. I checked the oil level and it was still okay.. I tried to start it again and it had some difficulty.. But the third time it fired right up but I could hear a low toned knocking. I immediately shut the bike down, and having started it again.. Before it died the first time there wasn't any smoke coming from the exhaust.. Does anyone have any clue as to what to do to determine the problem or the damage.. I have removed all plastics, carbs, plugs, exhaust,radiators already but not sure where or what to do next.. Anything would be great.. Also this is my first time ever to work on a motorcycle motor like this before..

Platinum Subscriber JoshCampbell's Avatar
    Would really need to hear the knocking you're referring to. Both my TLRs have a slight knock from the valves, but you really have to listen for it to hear it.

Was your knock very noticeable? Did it get louder with throttle? Was it blowing smoke from the canisters? Was it going above 190 degrees F? What did the plugs look like?

The more you can tell us the better.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    The TL1000R is the only bike that makes me nervous, because in my dreams it's the only bike I die on

Baby Twin
    No smoke anywhere, plugs look good, knock was very noticeable. Loud but not extremely loud with a clank more of a thud knock.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Baby Twin
    Stayed at the normal.riding temp 196

I'll just let Sam or Stu handle this one. They're the experts on engine repair. They do live across the pond though, so they won't be on for another 4-5 hours.
    The TL1000R is the only bike that makes me nervous, because in my dreams it's the only bike I die on

Baby Twin
    Okay thanks. I'm a beginner with two wheels. I hope its nothing major

Just an idea while you're waiting. You might try googling motorcycle engine knock and finding one that best fits what you're hearing. May help Sam/Stu pinpoint your issue.

For example:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eMBYIs6qxvE

Baby Twin
    Its almost the same just a little quieter and more of a thump than tick.

I googled the TL knock some time ago there are plenty folk can relate to it lol. Mine has a top end tick knock that they all seem to have or at least the ones I have heard. A long screwdriver to your ear and the opposite end to the engine will diagnose what part is noisy.
    Blue and white ones are faster

Baby Twin
    What do you mean a long screwdriver to your ear? Are you talking about putting it down the spark plug hole? I done that and tried to push on it to see if there was any kind of slack but there was none. And the motor turns pretty easily using a socket... Should I just put it back together and start it up to see where the knock comes from and to record it so that there is a better reference for people that know what they are talking about to go by.. Cause honestly I'm in some serious need of fixing this.. This is my only transportation and I have to get to work and so fourth.. I don't have the money for the shop so its all on me and the kindness of people who like to help.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links