2000 tl1000r - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2000 tl1000r

Platinum Subscriber JoshCampbell's Avatar
    No, he's talking about using a long screwdriver as a stethoscope to pinpoint the knock. Some folks swear it works.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U927cYhQXB4
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    The TL1000R is the only bike that makes me nervous, because in my dreams it's the only bike I die on

Baby Twin
    Heck yea that's cool. Never would have thought... That's a good trick.. Well in the am I'm going to put the bike back together and see if I can figure it out. Or would it be easier to just go ahead and check the most common suspects first being I've got it down to just the block with the valve covers loose?...

I really hate giving advice on things of this nature, because there's just too many unknown variables. Saying it's a loud dull knock really doesn't give us enough to go on. It could be anything from a bent valve, lose timing chain, rod bearing, exhaust leak, etc.. Hell, it could be as simple as something knocking about in the Air Box.

If it were me... I would put it back together, record the sound best I could, and post it up on here for Stu or Sam to inspect. But that's me. I've never done major repair work on an engine block, but Sam and Stu have.
    The TL1000R is the only bike that makes me nervous, because in my dreams it's the only bike I die on

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Noooooo not down the plug hole. Use the screwdriver as a stethoscope and listen to the knocking area.
    Blue and white ones are faster

Is this the "ticking" sound that you're hearing on your TLR?

https://youtu.be/uxcpYx52xoE

NOTE: Geeze... now I'm starting to wonder about the ticking on my own damn bike hahaha.... That's either one hell of a noisy lifter (by design) or theres an arc in that lead somewhere. Power, Idle, Throttle Response, etc., are all spot on. Maybe I'm just hearing things.

Is that yours Josh ?

Baby Twin
    Yes I do beleve.. I didn't let it run very much.. I didn't want to damage the engine anymore than it already is... What is the problem in that video?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeblue View Post
    Is that yours Josh ?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by TL~rMike View Post
    ... What is the problem in that video?
    No problems. Bike runs perfectly. I've had this loud ticking since day one. I believe my previous TLR had it as well, although I can't recall with 100% certainty. My previous TLR had a full Yosh system on it, so you couldn't really hear anything over Satan's apocalypse escaping from the canisters.

Let's wait and see if some of my homies pop in and add their 2.5 cents on the matter to confirm. But for now, I say if you're hearing the same ticking as my bike in the video, then it's perfectly normal.

NOTE: Be sure it's the same ticking, in the same spots.

Mine does it but doesn't seem that loud if im honest. Maybe its because yours is recorded it sounds a little worse. I did enquire with the mechanic who did my MOT and he laughed saying mine was one of the better ones dont worry about it they all do it. He called it agricultural lol.

Baby Twin
    I definitely recognize that tick sound as well, can't say for sure if it is as loud but at least it is the same tick

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links