Starter motor help needed

Thread: Starter motor help needed

Starter motor help needed

Hi guys been stripping my starter motor and found a crack in the magnets on the inner sleeve. Will this make any difference to the starter ? Also after cleaning it and re assembling the starter shaft if very hard to turn by hand is that correct or have I over tightened something?

Cheer gents

Quote Originally Posted by FlashHarry View Post
    Hi guys been stripping my starter motor and found a crack in the magnets on the inner sleeve. Will this make any difference to the starter ? Also after cleaning it and re assembling the starter shaft if very hard to turn by hand is that correct or have I over tightened something?
    My guess....

A cracked magnet will be a problem. I don't know exactly how the magnets are configured in these starter motors, but if the fracture goes through the core material, it will create another two poles in the magnet that were not originally there. For instance, given a single piece two pole (north-south) magnet: break it in half, now there are two magnets - each with its own north and south poles. What used to be a north-south pole sequence in the motor's rotation, is now a north-south-north-south sequence.

So then, if the fracture is significant, it could create a condition that works AGAINST the normal rotation of the motor, or at the very least, will make it weaker and less efficient.

I can't say for sure if the difficulty in manually spinning the motor is due to the magnet change or your reassembly. May want to check your work....
    January 2012 TLOTM & BBOTM

I wouldn't condemn the magnet just yet.

they are glued into the case so they will retain the magnetic integrity that they need.

if the magnet has come loose it may be rubbing on the armature .

more likely is that you have not assembled the case ends correctly. they only fit in one orientation

if you look closely you should find a line or mark to align on each part.

take it apart again and don't make any assumptions. check every step as you go

cheers stu

Naked TLS 97 , D port heads, TRE, Carrozzaria gold wheels, GSXR750 triples and forks, R1 calipers, Ti Force titanium exhaust system, welded clutch centre, ring-in CCC, polished pressure plate, 999 ducati radiator, custom handlebar fairing, polished ali screen, TLR clocks, Van reservoirs, TLR swingarm, TLR Ohlins rear shock, Norton Commando handlebars on 65mm risers, extra heavy polished billet brass bar-ends, custom shaped seat pad, billet levers and pegs, stainless brake lines, modified airbox, PC11 ,undertail, hugger, clear taillight lens, hidden LED number plate lights, Personal number plate (97TLS),SV coils, ring-in pushrod seal saver.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Thanks gents . I’ll strip it and check it over again . The magnet was still in place but may of drifted off the housing after re assembly.

Sponsored Links