Engine rebuild and oil pump question
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fruitbat
  • 1 Post By Fruitbat

Thread: Engine rebuild and oil pump question

Baby Twin

Engine rebuild and oil pump question

Hi
    Im back to the TL engine even if my earlier one was in a Cagiva raptor.
    Now i have a 97 tls engine with spun big end bearing and as replacement parts i have 2 new JE pistons and a SV crank with rods also a set of tlr crank cases.
    Now to my question can i move over the gearbox from the tls into the tlr block or is there any changes neded to be done?
    Also i bought a new oilpump for the build and it been sitting on the bench for a few months, now when i checked it i see its the first edition that was in the 97 tl1000s engine, didnt even think it was possible to get one today but anyway thats what i got.
    How bad is the first version of pump, should i use it (Its brand new) or buy one of the new version, and is there any issues to fit the old version in a tlr crank case?

BR
    Peter,

The differences between various engines were detailed in depth by Sam in his posts from a few years ago, checkout the search function.

The 97 gearbox output shaft, bearing and spacer will not fit correctly in the TLR cases, some pics from Sam highlight the differences.Engine rebuild and oil pump question-gearboxshaft.jpgEngine rebuild and oil pump question-gearboxspacer.jpg

From memory I think there were 3 revisions of the oil pump each one increasing in width and hence increasing pumped oil volume throughout the rev range.
    Only the later wider TLR pump is available as new stock. All versions use the same mountings.

Your 97 crank has oil feed only from one side, the later cranks feed from both sides with improved big end oil flow.
    If it was my build I would source the later pump.

Good luck with the build.
    wilf likes this.

fit the late model oil pump .

you need to check which cases you have the early 97 has narrow output shaft bearing. and different shaft

the R gears should interchange between the shafts of you are careful to look

get sam to weld the clutch centre for whichever clutch you decide to use

cheers stu

Naked TLS 97 , D port heads, TRE, Carrozzaria gold wheels, GSXR750 triples and forks, R1 calipers, Ti Force titanium exhaust system, welded clutch centre, ring-in CCC, polished pressure plate, 999 ducati radiator, custom handlebar fairing, polished ali screen, TLR clocks, Van reservoirs, TLR swingarm, TLR Ohlins rear shock, Norton Commando handlebars on 65mm risers, extra heavy polished billet brass bar-ends, custom shaped seat pad, billet levers and pegs, stainless brake lines, modified airbox, PC11 ,undertail, hugger, clear taillight lens, hidden LED number plate lights, Personal number plate (97TLS),SV coils, ring-in pushrod seal saver.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Baby Twin
    Thanx for the info.
    Is there any way to see if you have early or updated engine cases without split the tls engine first?

Remove the gearbox sprocket and carefully pull out the spacer behind it with some grips.
    If you have the 26.2mm spacer you have the 97 shaft and bearing.
    If you have the 22.2mm spacer everything should fit in the R cases.
    The Ring-In likes this.

Baby Twin
    Ah just measured and its 26.2 guess i need to find a tlr gear box and a second new oil pump hmm:-(
    Cant believe i managed to buy a new oil pump of the old version, thought they were gone long time ago.

Sponsored Links