TLZone Forums banner

Conrod big end oil clearance.

5K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Sam 
#1 ·
What is best tolerance at big end oil clearance? manual say standard clearance @ tlr crank is 0.040-0.064mm i calculate now 0.052mm

what are you opinion at clearance? my are now half way at standard. but maybe if i go step down near 0.060mm i get more oil and rods are happier:laugh or its there matter its only 8thousand, just curious:)

#2 ·
#5 ·
:thumbup

#7 ·
A stock crank rebuilt as per the bearing code markings usually ends up about 0.063mm, the service limit is 0.080mm

On my own engines I try and aim nearer to 0.050mm but that generally means a grade tighter on the shells :thumbup

#8 ·
Ok, what about sv shells on tl rods? i have carillo rods and there is no that oil escape hole drilled, oil just spread both sides. i read sv shells are wider and dont have that hole middle of shells, but what about bearing codes? and are they too wide for tl crank?

#9 ·
SV shells could be fitted to TL rods but I wouldn't recommend it. You would need to file the locating tangs which isn't too bad but the TL rods have a much larger chamfer on the outside edges and the SV shell would be unsupported at that point.

#13 ·
Here is some fact on my measurements when i assembly on springtime.

When i first calculate i get this on my calculator :

B.E. bore 47,998mm (carrillo rods fresh bore)

crankshaft average 44.980mm (44.979-44.982mm here and there)

brown color code 1.484 - 1.488mm

= 0.05mm oil clearance BUT plastigauge shows different
Pink Red Text Lip Material property

I go black 1.480-1.484mm and much better
Red Pink Text Lip Material property

Ready to install
Auto part Crankshaft Gear Automotive engine part Transmission part

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.