Forgive Me Zone, For I Needed Brembo, My DR-Z is Modded Yet Again.

Thread: Forgive Me Zone, For I Needed Brembo, My DR-Z is Modded Yet Again.

Forgive Me Zone, For I Needed Brembo, My DR-Z is Modded Yet Again.

Well, I was on ebay looking at Super Duke parts and found a Brembo Superduke Caliper (left) for $75.00 shipped to the house. So I bought a QTMI bracket and 320mm rotor, a bleeder bolt for a Super Duke, and a set of Super Duke sintered HH pads. I installed everything, ground the caliper myself to clear the spokes. Also there is a clearance issue in the center left where the bracket mount bolt is. So I ground it down on my bench grinder, then used the angle grinder to fine tune it. It was a bear to get all the air out of it, but I did. Using the stock M/C it is a very impressive improvement. Blow on the lever for a stoppie. There is serious, excellent braking feel, and man when you smack it, you have brakes now. I was at the track on Thursday and Friday. The DR-Z stock brakes were really anemic, had to work hard to modulate and brake into slow corners. Well, I have solved that.

The caliper had a couple of scuffs, here are the pics (click for GREAT big un's)

Right at that bolt the caliper hit and I had to grind about a quarter inch off of the casting. Not hard when you only have $75.00 in the caliper.

The back was a little more fiddly, I had to sort all the bottom bracket issues. Then the bracket didn't center it quite like I wanted (I shimmed it with one flat washer that I had in my stash, on each bolt) so I had to grind the back twice. Took about 30 minutes to fit the thing.

This is an awesome brake for a SM.

Be Good, Wear Gear, Do Wheelies,

Doug "OldTLSDoug" Basinger
    2010 KTM RC8R Akropovic Limited Edition 23 of 25
    2008 KTM Super Duke 990
    1982 Honda Z50R
    1978 Yamaha SR500E
    G-Town Squid Squad, Feb. 04 TLOTM

[SIGPIC]https://www.tlzone.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1458&dateline=1210726 963[/SIGPIC]

nice work doug.

be vigilant that any pad material not running on the disk doesn't start to touch the other pad as they wear tho.

:jealous

cheers stu

Naked TLS 97 , D port heads, TRE, Carrozzaria gold wheels, GSXR750 triples and forks, R1 calipers, Ti Force titanium exhaust system, welded clutch centre, ring-in CCC, polished pressure plate, 999 ducati radiator, custom handlebar fairing, polished ali screen, TLR clocks, Van reservoirs, TLR swingarm, TLR Ohlins rear shock, Norton Commando handlebars on 65mm risers, extra heavy polished billet brass bar-ends, custom shaped seat pad, billet levers and pegs, stainless brake lines, modified airbox, PC11 ,undertail, hugger, clear taillight lens, hidden LED number plate lights, Personal number plate (97TLS),SV coils, ring-in pushrod seal saver.

looks like a very good upgrade!! nice!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by The Ring-In View Post
    nice work doug.

be vigilant that any pad material not running on the disk doesn't start to touch the other pad as they wear tho.

:jealous
    Thanks Sir, I was worried about that, it looks like about 1mm or less is above the pad, so I will bevel them and keep an eye on them.
    Be Good, Wear Gear, Do Wheelies,

Doug "OldTLSDoug" Basinger
    2010 KTM RC8R Akropovic Limited Edition 23 of 25
    2008 KTM Super Duke 990
    1982 Honda Z50R
    1978 Yamaha SR500E
    G-Town Squid Squad, Feb. 04 TLOTM

[SIGPIC]https://www.tlzone.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1458&dateline=1210726 963[/SIGPIC]

God theres something so sexy about spoked rims and modern brakes,would give my left nut for a set of spoked rims that would fit the S,maybe not the nut but would trade in my Carrozzerias for them for sure,there just old school sexy.As always fantastic work Sir.
    TLOTM March 07

Sponsored Links