How oldtlsdoug got his cams back
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How oldtlsdoug got his cams back

How oldtlsdoug got his cams back

Backstory: I used to have a sweet (mostly stock) TL-S but wanted a DR-Z. Doug had a sweet (modded to the hilt) DR-Z but wanted a TL-S. We traded, and were oh so happy.

Fast forward about four years. So I have a sweet DRZ-SM with a kickstarter, which is hard to use because I also have some ultra-trick, NLA Stage 2 Hotcams with no auto-decomp. Doug has a DRZ-SM with the stock (neutered) cams. He needs Stage 2 cams. I want Stage 1 cams with decomp. A deal is made.

Tye comes by to help wrench, and handle some cams.

"Shiny new spark plug..."

"...a dab of anti-seize, and..."

Wait, here comes Tye! Act natural.

"Okay breathers are off, let's yank the... hey, wait a minute..."

"Is that a camera?"

Yes. Act natural...

naturally... FABULOUS!

So I learned that valve checks are not so scary (especially with a thumper) and that swapping cams is as easy as adjusting shim-under-bucket valves. The whole thing went so well, we swapped some other bits for the fun of it (lights, bodywork... a regular swinger's party) leaving Doug's bike in something of a shambles.

It gets worse.

We got my bike back together and Doug started her up (first kick), then did a few wheelies and stoppies to verify the installation. So we put the Stg2 cams in Doug's bike, set the clearance on the EX (remove, reshim, reinstall), reassemble, and warm it up per the FSM.

The fact that I missed a gasket on one of the cam cover bolts () isn't apparent when we first fire 'er up, so we go indoors to hang out. Misfire shows up and lurks in the garage (probably doing unspeakable things with Doug's tools) before joining us. At the FSM-correct interval, we move back to the garage and discover that, at some point, oil started spewing everywhere. Then we dislodge the intake boot on the snug-fitting carb, which apparently requires subframe removal since there's no room for full-size human hands. Doug may chime in on this eventually, but he's probably still fixing the mess we made of his bike. He might never have us back.

If it's any consolation, mine runs awesome. Wrenching with friends beats handing your baby over to a dealer service department every single time. For those who didn't already know, Doug rocks.
    Last edited by zelig; 08-21-2011 at 06:48 PM.

OMG is doug trying lick your ear HMmmm must be a texan think that last pic not pretty

theres at least 2 pics you guys left for captions

sounds like it's going to be a nice ride Doug. bugger the neighbours with the noise

wish your close buy i'd get you to help sort out my suspension on the 950SER
    CHEERS: brett
    http://offroadexplorer.com/Forum/ind...f3523ef056856c
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php
    Sent from my Rooted HTC One X - Rooted , using S off & Buuf icon pack

SUZUKI 97TLS: STREETFIGHTER PROJECT January '09 TLotM

Done: Fat-bar conversion; DNA Handlebar fairing; TLR Clock conversion; Yosh TLR Headers, one-off link pipes & Carbon cans; Relocated oil cooler; Relocated Coolant bottle; Transistor TRE; PCII; +1/-1 sprockets; Hyperpro steering damper & 916 style mount; Maxton Re-Valved forks; Tokico 6 pot callipers; HEL braided hoses; TLR Swing-arm; Bitubo shock; Yellow Box; 98+ Thermo-mod; JarkkoT +/- mod; Airbox mod; K&N air filter; Riflemans 1/5th; Harris carbon mudguard; Carbon Solo Seat Unit; Pyramid undertray; Powder coated wheels; Mini indicators; LSL rearsets; Scotoiler

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Well, about 2140 last night I fired my baby up, I tried to be nice, but the neighbors "noticed" me leaving. You would all be proud, I ran down the road in khaki shorts and tennis shoes, but did wear a helmet. The little guy rips, I think my clutch might actually be slipping a bit, I will check that soon. The carb set me back a bit, I completely disassembled the rear of the bike, and got it sorted. There is a little step to the intake boot, if you set it so the carb is to the left slightly, it cures all the issues. Chris gave me the unobtainium cams, a DRC tail light and signals, and a rear fender with skull installed for free! So to Chris. Tye did some good work, until we were unable to figure out Chad was in the garage all was well.

We did get free lunch, thanks Donna!

Hello Kitty has a new home.

Skulls rock!

Cams are timed and carb doesn't hit frame....

Be Good, Wear Gear, Do Wheelies,

Doug "OldTLSDoug" Basinger
    2010 KTM RC8R Akropovic Limited Edition 23 of 25
    2008 KTM Super Duke 990
    1982 Honda Z50R
    1978 Yamaha SR500E
    G-Town Squid Squad, Feb. 04 TLOTM

[SIGPIC]https://www.tlzone.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1458&dateline=1210726 963[/SIGPIC]

Finally, we couldn't get my torque wrench in the space available, so I made a new tool, works great, sorry I didn't have it for yours Chris

2008 KTM Super Duke 990
    1982 Honda Z50R
    1978 Yamaha SR500E

[SIGPIC]https://www.tlzone.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1458&dateline=1210726 963[/SIGPIC]

sounds like a good time. I spent most of the weekend in the garage as well -- rebuilt forks, shock and rear linkage/swarm pivot in place on the montesa

Josh

TL Zone Forum Staff - Resident RAIN RIDER

Questions about The Forums? Click Here

1997 TL1000S/V
    - TLR Akro Evo Ti Exhaust - PCII - 5.5" rear rim & 180/55 - Avon AV45/46ST tires - No Steering damper- Uni Filter -Relocated Temp sensor & 98+ t-stat housing/wp cover - TLRCrazy1 Fan Switch Mod - Dual Star heated Grips - HeliBars - 60k miles.

9k mile summer ride report [summer '08]

Ride report: Oshkosh, Rockies, UT, NV, CA, Bajal [summer '09]

Follow up. I rode Mr. DR-Z to work today. The little bastard is fucking awesome to ride now. You let off and it pops just right. Wheelies in corners are fun, and stoppies are at every opportunity. Really woke it up. Before the mods the Little DR-Z could pull 92 mph. Today I went 102 mph up hill! Wow! Still had some room, but she is a bit squirrely at that speed. Very nice, no leaks, as after Chris did his magic. I replaced the little gasket he left out. I redid the shims and put the clearances at the wide end of the limit. Very happy. Next I will paint the kick stand, and in a bit pull the motor and make it into a 60 hp 470 cc stroker motor. Did I mention I did a couple of big old wheelies on the RC8R today? Tye had stored my KTM's so I had room to work, and we had to ride them back. Woo Hoo! We had a nice quick ride back. He did some good wheelies on the Superduke.

I love motorcycles and my motorcycle buddies. Thanks fella's!

2008 KTM Super Duke 990
    1982 Honda Z50R
    1978 Yamaha SR500E

Always back to the SD eh Doug

Since I got the D3 it's been either good wind for kitesurfing or pouring rain, so I've only ridden it twice but yesterday I really started getting into it ... lovin' it! Can't quite figure out the seat though ...

Ahhh, SM seating isn't the best. The DR-Z seat is one of the poorest places to be, but the little bike makes you forget that. Loves me some DR-Z. I love the SD because it is fun like the DR-Z and scary fast like the RC8R all at the same time.

2008 KTM Super Duke 990
    1982 Honda Z50R
    1978 Yamaha SR500E

FWIW Renazco makes some exceptionally comfortable, snazzy leather seats for dirt bikes/sumos.

This guy took one look at it and said "that's a ride to Cabo seat" - he would know.

You can kinda see the diff between the stock seat (dad's bike on the left) and the fancy seat (right)

Josh

TL Zone Forum Staff - Resident RAIN RIDER

Questions about The Forums? Click Here

1997 TL1000S/V
    - TLR Akro Evo Ti Exhaust - PCII - 5.5" rear rim & 180/55 - Avon AV45/46ST tires - No Steering damper- Uni Filter -Relocated Temp sensor & 98+ t-stat housing/wp cover - TLRCrazy1 Fan Switch Mod - Dual Star heated Grips - HeliBars - 60k miles.

9k mile summer ride report [summer '08]

Ride report: Oshkosh, Rockies, UT, NV, CA, Bajal [summer '09]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links