I'm strangely tempted by this
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm strangely tempted by this

I'm strangely tempted by this

http://providence.craigslist.org/mcy/1451398275.html

For no good reason - quirky, oddly designed and a bit over weight but still cool as all getout (and ultra-cheap)

My old DR350SE is worth more I think.... I really need a garage

Josh

TL Zone Forum Staff - Resident RAIN RIDER

Questions about The Forums? Click Here

1997 TL1000S/V
    - TLR Akro Evo Ti Exhaust - PCII - 5.5" rear rim & 180/55 - Avon AV45/46ST tires - No Steering damper- Uni Filter -Relocated Temp sensor & 98+ t-stat housing/wp cover - TLRCrazy1 Fan Switch Mod - Dual Star heated Grips - HeliBars - 60k miles.

9k mile summer ride report [summer '08]

Ride report: Oshkosh, Rockies, UT, NV, CA, Bajal [summer '09]

Just get it

Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen
    The guy is in RI too. Odd. There is no place to ride off road in RI anymore. Maybe that is why he is selling it.

That is basically a rebadged Cannondale isn't it? Sounds like electrical / general reliability fuel injected hell to me Cool bike though, especially at that price. The suspension is worth more than that. The rest is free...
    <font color = "blue"> I would feel awkward riding a Harley. The honky-tonk parking lot butt sniffing checking out each other's chrome encrusted doodads and then riding home half in the bag social scene they engender is not what my idea of riding motorcycles is about.</b></font>

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

It is a re-badged canondale. ATK does improve them a bit though - they bought all cannondale's stock, the strip the bike down, fit their own ECU and several other hard-parts then rebuild with reportedly much improved quality control.

Only persistent reliability issue I've been able to find is the big end bearing is a bit weak. Seems they are fine as long as you run the stock map, but the aftermarket maps most folks run raise the rev limit a lot and the bearing doesn't like that. A suzuki ltz400 bearing fits and cures the problem. ATK figured this out sometime in late '04 or 05 so its not clear whether this unit has the upgraded bearing or not. A guy on advrider contested the GNCC series and got an overall win on one with the old bearing (stock map though).

It does seem likely to be quirky and fidly. Its also a bit porky as compared to a kick-start japanese performance thumper and just a skosh heavier than the WR-R, CRF-X etc.

Biggest hangup for me is a 2.6 gal fuel tank and no aftermarket (that and I have no garage in which to fiddle)

If nothing else those gold suspenders would look spiffy on the DR

Josh

1997 TL1000S/V
    - TLR Akro Evo Ti Exhaust - PCII - 5.5" rear rim & 180/55 - Avon AV45/46ST tires - No Steering damper- Uni Filter -Relocated Temp sensor & 98+ t-stat housing/wp cover - TLRCrazy1 Fan Switch Mod - Dual Star heated Grips - HeliBars - 60k miles.

Ppffftt! Look what has been bothering me for a couple of days now.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/1456751609.html
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Colonel Jeff Cooper, in "The Art of the Rifle"

Jeff

TLZone Forums Staff - Resident Stodgy ME

Questions about the Forums? Click Here

Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen
    That thing is pretty darn complete for $100. Grab it!
    <font color = "blue"> I would feel awkward riding a Harley. The honky-tonk parking lot butt sniffing checking out each other's chrome encrusted doodads and then riding home half in the bag social scene they engender is not what my idea of riding motorcycles is about.</b></font>

looks like good fun!

I bet you could quadruple your $$ selling individual parts on ebay if you determine its too far gone to fix.

btw I did some more reading on the ATK - its actually lighter than a WR450F by a couple of lbs (both ready to ride, no gas) so pretty reasonable weight for an e-start 450.

Josh

1997 TL1000S/V

ive had quite a few ct1 parts on ebay the parts that do well need to be in outstanding condition,seats an tanks pipes do ok but they made a ton of them.still if your looking to get one going $100 is a great deal,wait too long it will be gone !!
    once i thought i was wrong but i was just mistaken!!

if yer bored as hell look at my ebay store !!

http://stores.ebay.com/onanysunday711

I found some dyno charts for the ATKDale. Seems a stocker should be in the 45-47hp range at the rear wheel. Mods are surprisingly plentiful. A 6mm stroker crank, big bore cylinder, custom mapping and head porting will push the hp over 60 with one individual claiming to have put down 68hp (but not scan of the dynochart). Bummer is that the gearbox is only a 5spd (but at least a wide ratio 5spd), plus is that they seem very durable. I don't even have a place to put it, but an ohlins and brembo'd 45+hp fuel injected, sub-300lbs dual sport is just hard to pass up for $1500

Josh

1997 TL1000S/V

buy it dammit and post up pics of some pilot air !!
    once i thought i was wrong but i was just mistaken!!

if yer bored as hell look at my ebay store !!

http://stores.ebay.com/onanysunday711

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links