TLZone Forums banner

Wrist Guards

Tags
guards wrist
1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  filrabey 
#1 ·
Does any one use wrist guards / protectors?

My son has suspected broken bone in his hand/wrist (scaphoid) caused by BMX accident, now he's mad on MX and I'm looking at ways to reduce the risk next time hes on two wheels, of all the wrist guards I've seen,they seem to be very restrictive and would hinder holding the bars (most seem to favour sports that are hands free. Skate, Rollerblading etc)

any thoughts :)

#2 ·
I always recommend to stay away from those. As great as the seem, when you fall you tend to brake something else becasue of how restrictive they are. The best thing you can to is teach him how to fall. I know that sounds stupid but its true. I ride bmx, down hill skateboard, ride my street bikes and go to the desert. Out of all this I have seen and had my share of falls and the only thigs that helped me we the right protective gear and knowing how to tumble. You want to instill in him not to put his hands out in front of him, I know its habbit but that is what causes the problems. Try to get him rolling in a ball or on his side when he hits the ground. If you make yourself a large ball you distribute the force of the impact instead of pinpointing it to two small joints. Just my two cents but I have only broke one bone When my elbow met concrete and I just had a head fracture. I drank alot of milk as a kid too, I guess strong bones don't hurt either. Also, how is he supposed to twist the throtle if he can't rotate his wrist?

#3 ·
Cool mossspeed, good point about the 'how to fall method' but i was looking at covering all angles :) was looking at These as a compromise.

thanks for your input :thumbup the list of bones broken is growing :laugh

#4 ·
I don't think I'd want to wear any type of wrist guard while riding a bike - would probably cause more injury than it would prevent (more crashes due to less control from restricted movement and increased arm pump). For skating I've used standard skate-style wrist guards, though I find them more effective at preventing scraping/bruising the heal of my hand than preventing a wrist injury.

BMX and MX tend to result in some injuries, you can't prevent them all by strapping on more plastic and kevlar.

#5 ·
some fair points with a common view, thanks guys, answer seems to be even more track time to improve the skills both pre and post crash :laugh

there goes my weekends again :rant:laugh

#6 ·
Just get on the track yourself then the weekends will be delightful:devious

#7 ·
Just sold the YZ400F :bawling

#8 ·
Well then its time for a replacement:deal Or you could swap out with your son - 125's are great fun and I doubt he's running it the entire time you are at the track:clap

#9 ·
a point well made sir :devious

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.