Super Motard a TL 1000R? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Super Motard a TL 1000R?

Quote Originally Posted by mossspeed View Post
    It all makes sence now. Yeah that is a beast and not sure how streetable, like driving an 800hp hot rod. But I say that about full motards too and would hop on one to run to the store in a heartbeat.
    I do not believe it will. It is full TLR between the frame radiator and all. I am planning a tight crash cage but something that looks better like the BMW R1200GS has. Still working some designs out in my head. Right now I am not going to run fans because when I stop I will be shutting it off, basicly like a track bike. The dunes are wide open so I shouldn't have any problems. Ofcoarse untill i tumble and crack a radiator, Then I'll get a lift back to camp. Guess I am just planning to deal with that bridge when I come to it.
    would an air cooled lump be better suited to those conditions?

There are alot of other things that would be much better suited. I just happened to have a few TLR's and decided to do this with one. I have a daily and another that is pretty much a track bike that is close to being street legal, legal illegal... I just like to push my luck as far as I can. This one is making me think I am walking a fine line and shouldn't push this one to far.

There are alot of other things that would be much better suited. I just happened to have a few TLR's and decided to do this with one. I have a daily and another that is pretty much a track bike that is close to being street legal, legal illegal... I just like to push my luck as far as I can. This one is making me think I am walking a fine line and shouldn't push this one to far.
    you obviously know a thing or two about tlr's and i'm guessing riding on the sand? so you will be able to tell if the TLR will suit it or not I wouldn't have a clue?!

BUT.... I love my TLR and all those cocks who slagged these bikes off on their release shall burn in hell for killing it off early, just think how much further suzuki could have taken it, like aprilia have done with their RSV

I'm new to the TLR and I have to say I think its probably the best all round bike I have ever ridden or owned! only V-twin I have owned before this was the 1st gen Aprilia RSV millie which was a pretty good bike and I had it chipped with the open renegade air box etc but I still don't think it felt as good as this TLR does! I can't comment on the TLR's handling as stock as mine came fully loaded with all the trick ohlins and must make a huge difference as it handles so nicely! that paired with a strong revy engine and I always have a big smile on my face!

I sold my 05 ninja 636R and then bought the TLR, whilst the ninja had amazing brakes and was very fast once it was past 10K rpm it lacked any midrange and was so annoying to try and ride fast on the road, the TLR on the other hand is a road weapon and must be great on track where you can crack the throttle open even earlier!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

I guess I'll sign up for my fair share of abuse, too...

I've been wanting to build a SM for years, using some form of 500cc-ish v-twin. After finally landing a TL, I think it would make an absolutely awesome SM. My plan was to start with a fairly recent YZ450F and hack the frame to bits, to somehow accept the motor, and then beefing up the resulting frankenframe and suspension as necessary to keep it all in one piece.

I was initially thinking of using an SV650 motor, but hell, it can't be *much* smaller than the TL. The thought of all that power on a bike with MX ergos and some nice, meaty street tires....WOODY!!!!!!

I can only just barely start to think of the trouble I could get myself into with a beast like that!

My other unnatural TL desire is to build a 7/8 scale (or thereabouts) old school type bobber. TL motor with baffled straight pipes. Drag bars, rigid frame, spoke wheels, springer front end, jockey shifter, solo seat, forward controls, disc brakes, a head light and a brake light. No signals, tiny little radiator, no speedo, no horn, no nuttin that ain't absolutely necessary. All monochrome and KEE-ROME.

Could you imagine a ragged out HD bobber trying to do anything but look like a POS parked next to that?

Heresy, I know. But I literally have dreams. I will build it one day. A fuel injected "old school bobber". There your oxymoron.

-Matt
    Mods: M4 system with ceramic coated headers, FP Racing levers, MattTheHat's TRE-3, Rifleman's 1/5 turn throttle insert, Joe's air box mod, De-PAIRed. Running 16/43, Pirelli Diablos, and Rotella 15W40 synthetic.

Matt, wish you were in SoCal. There is a guy who did just that, the bobber, but with a duc motor. I know, I know, but its a duc. It came out sweet, was a rootbeer frame and hid all the wiring. Was sooooo clean. As for the TL in a moto frame, the one reason I didn't was I am afraid of all that torque in a frame that was meant for a fraction of that. With as easy as it is to get a YZ front end on your frame, if you have one, I would try to use it. Just my $0.02. Tough call either way, let me know either way as I'd like to see updates.

You mean this one?

<image sourced from bubblevisor's site. I have the name of the builder, the guy in the photo, in my archives. I'll add it later. He's one of the artists in "Art of the Chopper 3" I believe.>

--frankb

That is beautiful but not the one I am talking about. This one runs a newer DUC motor, I could only imagine a TLR in there. With as cheep as ridgid frames are someone needs to... anyone?

That is beautiful but not the one I am talking about. This one runs a newer DUC motor, I could only imagine a TLR in there. With as cheep as ridgid frames are someone needs to... anyone?

lol, think I would be fun to try and ride it with a TLR engine in there, burn your damn nuts and legs off!

Sorry for how long this update took, life happened and I lowsided my daily so this kinda took a back seat for a while. Back on track(ish). Here is the roller with a YZ front end and its off to my fabricator for some rear end work. He will be welding, boxing, and supporting the swing arm extenssions and fabbing up mounts for my Banshee rear shock. I really don't have a Yamaha thing, these parts just worked out to be the easiest to work with.

Super Motard a TL 1000R?-snc00132.jpg

SQDBIKE Admin

-

TLZone Forums Staff - Resident Tortfeasor

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links