Super Motard a TL 1000R? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Super Motard a TL 1000R?

Evil Twin
    Quote Originally Posted by delta1983 View Post
    I still don't think your quite getting this?

this is a supermoto, see pics, this was my husaberg fs650c 2005, full akro system re jetted, nearly 70bhp, very powerful but super light, could pick the thing up turn it around on your leg easy, power wheelie in 4th gear and stop like no other bike I have ever ridden not to mention make mince meat on any tight road or round about of any 14K+ super bike+ this is a real super moto.

The ducati is a road bike, with a heavy V-twin lump (sat on it a dealership just the other week and it feels so heavy!) , the big 990 KTM's again massively more heavy than their race super moto brothers, they are all road bikes, designed to be fun and give you a little taste of what a full super moto would be like, but super moto they are not, don't get confused because until you have owned or ridden a flat out race ready moto you don't know what a total weapon they are compared to their bigger road only going counterparts.
    I have ridden a few of these things, the ducati hypermotard, the ktm superduke and a fully done 03 wr450 supermoto convert and will tell you this I would take the ducati over all of them. the wr450 doesnt have the topend to hit highways around here and if you stay on side streets to get to the twisties it will take you hours to get through the traffic.

I think anything would fair better on dirt than a sportsbike!

You have hit the nail on the head about the bikes and the semantics.

theirs always a big line drawn between the people who ride full supermoto and those who ride hypermotard's and think they are the same thing, met many of them during our crazy ride outs round boxhill lanes where it becomes apparent that both on the tarmac and the dirt that the supermoto is in a different league!

I just feel that if your going to buy what is basically a road street bike then something like a speed triple or a aprilia tuono will be so much better and more reliable than the KTM or Ducati, but if that's what someone wants then good luck to them.
    Have you ever tried to take a supermoto with pilot powers on it off road?? Its like riding a dirtbike with slicks on a frozen pond
    The only way to steer that darn thing is hope there are ruts in the trail. And if you put dirt-ish tires on it like the DRZ's come with they handle like shit on the road. So you have to pick what you are trying to do and build the best bike for the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by mossspeed View Post
    I think semantic is the whole issue here and I also think we are all right. On a short tight corse like Palomar Mtn or say Streets of Willow a full Supermotard will clean up on anything and everything. On the flip side of that, something with big sweeping corners and long straights where top end and higher speeds something like a Duke will be much better off. Like comparing a lotus elise to a enzo, they each have thier strenghts when they are used for what they were designed for. I think it all depends on where you plan to use it and what kind of potential you are really looking to get out of it. I mean lets be real, does anyone who races a TLR really think it will be just as easy as racing a new bike that is atleast a hundred pound lighter? But look at all of us who still try. Its apples and oranges and I think that is where some of this is going. There was an interest in motarding a TL. To compare it to a true supermotard is just a little silly. Maybe it should have been corrected that it would be a hypermotard and find out what the end use is for.
    If thats what your after good luck and good for you. Plz post pics and info when you get it done. Would probably be a nasty bike if you could find a cheap latemodel dirtbike and just fit the TL engine to it

Mikey, I am not sure what oldbmw is planning and I am very curious to talk to him as to not repeat mistakes he might have found. As far as my bike, it is more of a dakarish bike than a motard. Its main function will be to get me around the Southern California sand dunes so with a custom paddle traction will be the least of my concern. It will be somewhere in the area of a 6"-8" strech to keep the front end somewhat close to the sand but it will sure be a beast. I just plan to push my luck with the local athorities and put street tires on it. I know it won't hand worth anything with the strech but since it doesn't have the brakes of a Duke or a Duc I guess thats a good thing for my health. I will update as soon as I can but since I just had a lowside on my daily I am not sure if I will keep my april deadline, we will see.

Oh yeah, I am running a modified stock ( guess thats like military inte...) swingarm so I can keep a 190 under the back. I guess I am just hoping to not do constant burnouts, we'll see.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

"Have you ever tried to take a supermoto with pilot powers on it off road?? Its like riding a dirtbike with slicks on a frozen pond
    The only way to steer that darn thing is hope there are ruts in the trail. And if you put dirt-ish tires on it like the DRZ's come with they handle like shit on the road. So you have to pick what you are trying to do and build the best bike for the situation"

Yeah I used to ride my Husaberg fs650 off road with both the 2CT that it came with and then I put a set of super corsa pro on it, both were good on road but off road was well, interesting!

after that I went with an Avon Pro extreme Rain on the front, truly amazing tire handled better on the road in all conditions than the super corsa's did and it was good off road too! on the rear we all ran with a Maxxis goldspeed motard tyre again really good grippy tire for on and off road!

the berg was geared to cruise in 6th at 75-80mph with a top end of 115mph ish,before it was geared to cruise at 85-90+ with top speed of 120+ but was pointless so i put it back to the 75-80 as 120mph+ on a mx bike is scary because of the head shake you get.

I think your in the usa right? don't you guys have a speed limit of like 50mph out there or something anyway plus the cops are all hot on speeding?!

while the UK is a bit of a nanny state we do tend to get away with going a bit mental at times!

a mate had a done up Wr450 what a piece of crap, he was a bike tuner too spent a fortune on it, I got on and was like, erm, where's the power?!

get your leg over a FS650 and then report back to me and tell me how big a grin you have on your face afterwards!!

On the flip side of that, something with big sweeping corners and long straights where top end and higher speeds something like a Duke will be much better off.

surely then a sports bike such as a TLR or a naked bike like the Tuono would then be even better suited as its what they are designed for?

What I am basically trying to scratch away at is that IMO the hypermotard serves no real life on the road purpose. Yes they look nice and yes they go nice but they don't go as fast as a proper big sports bike and they don't handle as well as a full on super moto, so the only reason for their existence is purely to pose on?!?

I guess we need to retitle this hypermotarding a tl because some people are just to literal. Again, I thought this whole site was to promote positive moral and help people push the limitations the factory and society has labled the TL family with.

surely then a sports bike such as a TLR or a naked bike like the Tuono would then be even better suited as its what they are designed for?

What I am basically trying to scratch away at is that IMO the hypermotard serves no real life on the road purpose. Yes they look nice and yes they go nice but they don't go as fast as a proper big sports bike and they don't handle as well as a full on super moto, so the only reason for their existence is purely to pose on?!?
    Where can you ride a full on Supermotard on the road?? They are track use only yeah..

The hypermoto's are the in between bike of sports bike and supermoto's..

Yes there not as quick as a sport bike, but they will whoop ass in the twisties against a sport bike.

And yes, they don't handle as good as a supermoto, but can you cruise the highways at 120km/h with relative ease on a supermoto?

Whether you like to think it or not, there is a market for these Hypermoto's or else they wouldn't be built..

But back to the topic at hand.. oldbmw wants to build something for sand dunes and to be honest having a TLR/dirt bike with a paddle out the rear sounds like fun.. I'm sure if he wanted a proper supermoto he'd go out and get one, but he doesn't so bring on pics of this beast
    TLoM here i come.... ok it may take me a while but i'm working on it

Work in Progress.....

Vandriver's Clear Clutch Cover, Pressure Plate, Sprocket cover, Billet Rear Brake Reservoir and Brake Return Spring, Yoshi RS3 SS Bolt on's, +2 Driven Rear Sprocket, Eaglescreens Blue Windlip Screen, Revolution Rotors, Axle Flip Mod, MattTheHat TRE, Bitubo Rear Shock, Rifleman's 1/5th Insert, FP Racing Lever's, Charge Mod, Carrozeria V-Track Wheels, Tribo Seat Cover

Waiting to be installed...

Gap Mod Tray, TopGun Undertail

Quote Originally Posted by bentlr666 View Post
    Where can you ride a full on Supermotard on the road?? They are track use only yeah..

don't know bout you guys but over here in the UK you can ride a full race ready super moto on the road, just needs number plate, horn and rear brake light, thats all my husaberg had, nice and RAW!

The hypermoto's are the in between bike of sports bike and supermoto's..

Yes there not as quick as a sport bike, but they will whoop ass in the twisties against a sport bike.

Bring it on I would say to anyone on a super duke against my TLR I doubt their will be much in it and I can still go on to it over 160mph.

And yes, they don't handle as good as a supermoto, but can you cruise the highways at 120km/h with relative ease on a supermoto?

As I said the Husaberg cruised at just on throttle at 75mph. It's not very good for the engines though!

Whether you like to think it or not, there is a market for these Hypermoto's or else they wouldn't be built..

But back to the topic at hand.. oldbmw wants to build something for sand dunes and to be honest having a TLR/dirt bike with a paddle out the rear sounds like fun.. I'm sure if he wanted a proper supermoto he'd go out and get one, but he doesn't so bring on pics of this beast

xxx

I guess we need to retitle this hypermotarding a tl because some people are just to literal. Again, I thought this whole site was to promote positive moral and help people push the limitations the factory and society has labled the TL family with.

I have figured this out now! I was commenting on the jap bike motard, not yours.

I say go for it mate will be good. will it having cooling issues though?

It all makes sence now. Yeah that is a beast and not sure how streetable, like driving an 800hp hot rod. But I say that about full motards too and would hop on one to run to the store in a heartbeat.
    I do not believe it will. It is full TLR between the frame radiator and all. I am planning a tight crash cage but something that looks better like the BMW R1200GS has. Still working some designs out in my head. Right now I am not going to run fans because when I stop I will be shutting it off, basicly like a track bike. The dunes are wide open so I shouldn't have any problems. Ofcoarse untill i tumble and crack a radiator, Then I'll get a lift back to camp. Guess I am just planning to deal with that bridge when I come to it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links