Airbox sponge covered in white goo

Thread: Airbox sponge covered in white goo

Airbox sponge covered in white goo

Pulled off my K&N filter to clean it last night and while waiting for it to dry started tinkering with the TLR. I pulled the airbox completly out to check the throttle linkage. When I had the airbox on the bench I pulled off the air filter mount to get to the large vacuum lines to see what was there. To my suprise I found what looked like two brown course sponges with the bottm half covered in a white goo that was about as think as lithium grease. What the hell is it and does it need to be there. Being afraid it would get sucked into the motor I cleaned it all out. I tried to clean out the sponges, thinking they were some sort of PVC type device. Didn't work out to well, fell apart in my hands in small pieces.

Just in case you need it, 98 TL1000R

Thanks

Not sure about the sponge? - I have a TlS but sound like it pumping oil into your airbox? Level too high? That pair valave thing? (we dont have in the UK) Whelies - too many and too long?

Rings? other I cant think of yet?

Sorry, misread, you said "white goo" thats a mixture of oil and water. Head gasket fault at worst !! pos water pump seal too?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Baby Twin
    The spong is there to catch anything coming in to the airbox from valve cover ventilation pie into airbox. The vent pipe enters into the air flow inside airbox, ie not going through the main airfilter
    My sponge was mushy brown and it desintegrated when i pulled it out for inspection. Removed bits with vacum cleaner and now ordering a new one.

Sponsored Links