2001 tl1000s wiring issue on engine swap
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2001 tl1000s wiring issue on engine swap

Baby Twin

2001 tl1000s wiring issue on engine swap

Hi I am new to the forum and came here to see if I can get some help with my vw dune buggy I’m swapping a 2001 tl1000s engine onto. I have the main oem harness and I am trying to just hook it up to get it running. I have looped the kill switch wires and ignition wires and tilt sensor wires and the orange and red wire everyone says to loop and I put a 100 ohm resistor between the orange/red wire and the black and white wire. And it has new coils on it and I am still not getting any spark I need help on figuring out what I’m doing wrong or if there is an easy way to modify the harness or make a new one. Any help would be appreciated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2001 tl1000s wiring issue on engine swap-cf2b339a-9d91-4dd2-80f6-c8cc4f7e040f_1574996961586.jpeg  

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbyster10 View Post
    .....I’m swapping a 2001 tl1000s engine onto. I have the main oem harness and I am trying to just hook it up to get it running. I have looped the kill switch wires and ignition wires and tilt sensor wires and the orange and red wire everyone says to loop and I put a 100 ohm resistor between the orange/red wire and the black and white wire. ...
    Welcome to the Zone Gibbyster!

Where is this "Orange/Red wire" that you "looped? Which wire was it connected to?

Likewise, if you can provide a little more detail on the actual wire connections you made in the ignition circuit, we will be able to sort through what is missing.

The tilt sensor (TOS) cannot be looped with straight wire as the ECM is looking for a 62K ~ 68K ohm resistance across the TOS terminals.

Also, is the side stand relay in the circuit, and is the side stand switch still active, or has it been bypassed?

January 2012 TLOTM & BBOTM

Baby Twin
    The kick stand sensor has also been bypassed. Could I put a resistor between the tilt sensor wires and then will the ecm think there is a sensor there

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

The kick stand sensor has also been bypassed.
    OK. Have you verified that the side stand relay is working?

Could I put a resistor between the tilt sensor wires and then will the ecm think there is a sensor there
    Yes, the TOS can be simulated with a resistor.

Baby Twin
    Do all sensors that are bypassed need to have a resistor or is it just the tip sensor ?

The side stand switch does not require a resistor.
    What other sensors have you bypassed?

Baby Twin
    I found a tos sensor and wired it in. It is the oem one. And I double checked all my connections and still no spark. I read on a forum that the kill switch wires had to have a 100ohm resistor in them and so I found a resistor that is 99 ohm. Would that one ohm make a difference

I found a tos sensor and wired it in. It is the oem one. And I double checked all my connections and still no spark. I read on a forum that the kill switch wires had to have a 100ohm resistor in them and so I found a resistor that is 99 ohm. Would that one ohm make a difference
    Make sure the TOS is oriented properly. Otherwise it may disable the ignition and injectors.

The kill switch does not require a resistor. In fact, a resistor in that circuit will decrease the voltage available to the rest of the system - not good. And the resistor will likely overheat, unless is it a big one. The only 100 ohm resistor required in the system (that I can recall) is the anti-theft feature built into the ignition switch. If the ECM can't 'read' it when keyed on, it assumes the ignition is being hot-wired, and the ECM remains disabled.

At any rate, the one ohm difference will not make a difference.

If you had a set of TLS gauges, you could read the errors codes the ECM may be generating. That would make this project easier.

A couple other things occurred to me.....

I'll ask again. Is the side stand relay working?

Also, is there voltage (12 volts at key on) at ignition switch? At the kill switch? At the ECM (org/wht wires)?

Baby Twin
    For the side stand switch I just spliced the green and black and white wire together. And what wires on the ignition switch need to have the resistor in them?

Baby Twin
    Here are some pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2001 tl1000s wiring issue on engine swap-32de9be6-f675-43f2-8234-fbaf34dc1c78_1575232674353.jpeg   2001 tl1000s wiring issue on engine swap-70a1d464-2586-47c4-b0bb-81641eb0ea81_1575232738051.jpeg   2001 tl1000s wiring issue on engine swap-27717caf-f19c-4a3d-855c-3acf921caf3a_1575232811313.jpeg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links