HELP! Bought TL1000R tonight with FI Fault - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Bought TL1000R tonight with FI Fault

Conservatively, the loom might well be 17 years old. The looms weren't exactly top quality when they are new, so they definitely require regular checking over and repairs.

'97 TL1000S Streetfighter 'Evil Twin' - Full colour wiring diagrams - click here for UK TLS - click here for US TLS - click here for UK TLR - click here for US TLR

Baby Twin
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashB View Post
    Conservatively, the loom might well be 17 years old. The looms weren't exactly top quality when they are new, so they definitely require regular checking over and repairs.
    Thanks CrashB

My plan is to get it running again (hopefully reliably!) and then I'll go to town on effecting the various repairs it needs, including the wiring. I've ordered a replacement four pin plug that goes into the starter relay - shows signs of heat/melting.

Interestingly, the manual says to never turn over for more than five seconds - serious risk to the relay.

Thanks

BSR67

Quote Originally Posted by BSR67 View Post

Thanks for the tips on the wires. What do they feed?

Finding a lot of loom gremlins. Sense I have a lot of repairs and upgraded to do!
    Those two connectors affect most of the bike.

Two really worthwhile upgrades are upgrading the voltage regulator and the + mod that puts full battery voltage to the coils. The latter will improve starting and added a wee bit of HP per dyno testing.
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Colonel Jeff Cooper, in "The Art of the Rifle"

Jeff

TLZone Forums Staff - Resident Stodgy ME

Questions about the Forums? Click Here

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Baby Twin
    Quote Originally Posted by 1crock View Post
    Those two connectors affect most of the bike.

Two really worthwhile upgrades are upgrading the voltage regulator and the + mod that puts full battery voltage to the coils. The latter will improve starting and added a wee bit of HP per dyno testing.
    OK, so concerned now.

Have fitted:

Second ECM/ECU which arrived today
    Brand new genuine Suzuki Fuel Relay
    Used Suzuki Starter Relay

Same problem:

1. Turn ignition on, LED illuminates, Relay clicks.
    2. Two to three seconds later the fuel relay clicks again and the LED flashes and FI reads in the LCD

When in dealer mode:

1. Shows _C41
    2. LED goes out

With the help of my son, we have traced wires. There is continuity on the red/yellow from the fuel pump relay to the fuel pump connector
    There is continuity across the four wires of the fuel pump connector.

We applied 12v to the red/yellow and black/white of the pump and the pump whirred. So the pump motor works, when direct feed is applied.

So, it's almost as if when connected together the signal is not reaching the pump and telling it to fire/prime. Assume it does this every time on power up?

We connected the brand new (unfitted) pump to the yellow/red and black/white and this too does not spin. When the new pump is connected directly to a battery, it spins.

So - basically, from what we can thus far work out, the pump is not getting the instruction to prime.

Sensible suggestions please. I do have a new fuel pump to fit, but I know the existing one spins up, so changing it in highly unlikely to gain anything.

Not sure what the other two wires (in the four way fuel pump) connector do - imagine they are fuel level light/gauge?

So - please - ideas/suggestions on what to check next. Starting think there's a broken wire.

Thanks

BSR67

Baby Twin
    OK, officially very EMBARRASSED!

My son and I fixed it! Thanks to a post on the forum - it turned out (after buying an ECM, Starter Relay, Fuel Pump Relay AND Fuel Pump), that the problem was ..................... the 10 Amp Fuel Pump FUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of which there was a spare in the bike!

The downside was, when we fired it up at 1am, I had a VERY Angry wife burst into the garage! The viper cans are a little loud!

It is popping and banging a lot on the right hand exhaust - its not been run for a year and was throwing flames. Fuel is old and I pray its only that. I'll put fresh fuel in tomorrow and see how we go.

Oh well, at least I've got a good spares inventory now!

Thanks

BSR67

Quote Originally Posted by BSR67 View Post
    OK, officially very EMBARRASSED!

My son and I fixed it! Thanks to a post on the forum - it turned out (after buying an ECM, Starter Relay, Fuel Pump Relay AND Fuel Pump), that the problem was ..................... the 10 Amp Fuel Pump FUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ....

Oh well, at least I've got a good spares inventory now!

Thanks

BSR67
    Congrats on a successful backyard troubleshooting expedition! That's the thrill of buying old bikes. They will put your skills to the test. Don't be too embarrassed. You are not the first to overlook the obvious. Been there myself.

By now, I nearly have enough parts to build a third TL.....
    January 2012 TLOTM & BBOTM

Baby Twin
    Quote Originally Posted by Six5 View Post
    Congrats on a successful backyard troubleshooting expedition! That's the thrill of buying old bikes. They will put your skills to the test. Don't be too embarrassed. You are not the first to overlook the obvious. Been there myself.

By now, I nearly have enough parts to build a third TL.....
    Thans Six5!

Just got to investigate the serious popping/banging/flamethrowing from the right hand exhaust!

Will update!

Love buying older bikes and trouble shooting!

BSR67

Ideally both exhaust would pop bang and fire out flames he he he.
    Blue and white ones are faster

Baby Twin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeblue View Post
    Ideally both exhaust would pop bang and fire out flames he he he.
    Ha Ha!

Sadly, I've put the road legal cans back on - got to get it through MOT (road worthiness) test!

BSR67

Ah right, i thought that law had relaxed some. I have put at least 3 bikes through a test with race cans on without a problem. My TLR has yoshi RS3's on and sailed through.
    Blue and white ones are faster

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links