HELP! Bought TL1000R tonight with FI Fault - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Bought TL1000R tonight with FI Fault

Quote Originally Posted by BSR67 View Post
    Have bought a pump - going to do the simple things first.

If the ECU transistor was fried, would it run at all? It did run and then died after about three start ups (despite it not running too cleanly).

thx

BSR67
    It will run then die...

But that's not funny.

Step 1: Replace starter relay with Suzuki bit.
    Step 2: Ensure bike isn't going renegade with key off.

Report back...
    ... listen to Six5 ...

Quote Originally Posted by BSR67 View Post
    Have bought a pump - going to do the simple things first.
    Do NOT open tank... do NOT replace pump...
    ... listen to Six5 ...

Baby Twin
    To be fair, the bike didn't die of its own accord I think from memory we turned it off each time. That said, there was rather a lot going on - I had a panicked seller who was seeing what he thought was going to be a £2500 dissipate. It did pop and bang A LOT! Not ruling out ECU!

BSR67

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Baby Twin
    Intrigued! Why?

Pump was taken out in June last year and it's not turned a wheel since.

BSR67

Baby Twin
    OK, so I have found the Fuel Pump Relay. Clipped next to the ECU.

When I hook up the multimeter, there is 12v between the yellow/red and brown/white. Nothing between the other two.

The spade connectors look a little dirty/nasty.

The relay is new (previous owner - I've ordered new from Suzuki) marked CA1a-12V-A-5 and ACA1215 MO1

When the ignition is turned on, the relay clicks, the LED in tacho lights solid for two/three seconds and the relay clicks again and the LED then blinks and the LCD reads FI. The pump does not run/whirr/prime.

Should there be power across the other two lines?

Will keep digging.

BSR67HELP! Bought TL1000R tonight with FI Fault-tlr-fuel-relay.png

Baby Twin
    OK, really worried now.

Have just been reading the Suzuki Genuine Workshop manual. It says 'Removing the battery terminal of a running engine is strictly prohibited. The moment such removal is made, damaging counter electromotive force will be applied to the ECM which MAY result in serious damage.

B*gger.

Yesterday the seller took the battery off and rigged an external battery. He took it off whilst running. I asked him how it still ran without a battery. We then started it again, and I think he disconnected. Then, we put the (bike) battery back on and I can't remember if it started. It was soon after this that the FI LED flashed etc.

In the manual, C41 is:
    Fuel pump relay circuit open or short
    Fuel pump relay malfunction (its new)
    ECM malfunction

I do wonder whether the ECM was fried yesterday.

Any one in the UK got a 32920-02FA0 ECM I can borrow/for sale to test for running?

Thanks

BSR67

As the Goblin King said: 'That'd do it'.

Cheapest I've found in the UK: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-TL...edirect=mobile or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-TL...edirect=mobile.

TBH at that price I'd be tempted by one if I had the money... Getting harder and harder to find reasonable priced components

'97 TL1000S Streetfighter 'Evil Twin' - Full colour wiring diagrams - click here for UK TLS - click here for US TLS - click here for UK TLR - click here for US TLR

Baby Twin
    Thanks CrashB

Have purchased ………..

I'll update when the unit lands.

BSR67

Any vehicle with a computer should not have the battery unhooked while running. The battery serves as a "filter" to prevent voltage spikes from frying things. WE old codgers used to unhook the battery to check whether the charging system was working, we had to unlearn that.

While you're waiting on the new computer you might want to check the white and yellow connectors under the left ram air cover for corrosion. It's a common problem. Clean the connections and apply a bit of dielectric grease. Might prevent other gremlins form popping up.
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Colonel Jeff Cooper, in "The Art of the Rifle"

Jeff

TLZone Forums Staff - Resident Stodgy ME

Questions about the Forums? Click Here

Baby Twin
    Quote Originally Posted by 1crock View Post
    Any vehicle with a computer should not have the battery unhooked while running. The battery serves as a "filter" to prevent voltage spikes from frying things. WE old codgers used to unhook the battery to check whether the charging system was working, we had to unlearn that.

While you're waiting on the new computer you might want to check the white and yellow connectors under the left ram air cover for corrosion. It's a common problem. Clean the connections and apply a bit of dielectric grease. Might prevent other gremlins form popping up.
    Thanks for the advice.

ECM has been dispatched but not home until Friday. I should have a fuel pump relay, fuel pump, starter relay and ECM waiting when I get home!

I messaged the guy I bought it from - he says he started it weekly without an issue.

Thanks for the tips on the wires. What do they feed?

Finding a lot of loom gremlins. Sense I have a lot of repairs and upgraded to do!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links