Power cutting off
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power cutting off

Power cutting off

Hey guys, my tlr has started doing something weird. I was out on a ride Sunday and did 5 hours absolutely fine, then all of a sudden I lost throttle and the dash came up with “check” then it all went dead. No dash at all, like the battery was off. Tried my mates battery off his bike and all was sweet, measured the voltage and it was 13.3v running and it got me home. Next day I checked the voltage on my battery expecting it to be flat and it had 12.2v in it, fitted it and it ran straight away! Bit weird right?! Anyway rode it today and it ran fine for 15 minutes and then randomly cuts all power, like I turn the key off while I’m riding, dash turns off and the engine dies for a second then all comes back on again. Any ideas?? Cheers.

Same symptoms on my S where I could hear arcing in the front harness with immediate cutoff of all power. Traced it to the large white connector where the orange/white wire had gotten hot and partially melted the surrounding plastic, which allowed it to back out some. Re-seating the o/w socket and pin fixed it, but I have a spare wiring harness that will sacrifice it's connector.

Quote Originally Posted by muguvian View Post
    Same symptoms on my S where I could hear arcing in the front harness with immediate cutoff of all power. Traced it to the large white connector where the orange/white wire had gotten hot and partially melted the surrounding plastic, which allowed it to back out some. Re-seating the o/w socket and pin fixed it, but I have a spare wiring harness that will sacrifice it's connector.
    The first thing I checked on the side of the road was the cable and plug from the ignition switch as it’s easy to get to and it all looked ok tbf.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Platinum Subscriber JoshCampbell's Avatar
    I agree, it's got to be either the white or yellow connectors up front. I slide it could also the dash connector, but that's less likely.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    The TL1000R is the only bike that makes me nervous, because in my dreams it's the only bike I die on

iffy connections in the 4 way plug into the starter solenoid under the seat of the TLS can produce that effect as well. I know, you have a TLR.
    Red, the ONLY Colour.....for a 1997 TLS.....
    (1) Sold the old girl now ....... she will be missed...

(2) UNO frame & swinger with 1040 Bimota (aka TLR) engine running 17x40 teeth, Hydraulic clutch conversion, Billet wndowed clutch cover & cut plate spinner, Dunlop tyres, PC3, TLS bodywork, GSXR750-TT forks with custom Wilbers springs etc, Nissin brake calipers all round, front ones radial, radial Nissin clutch & brake masters, GSXR1000 K5 clocks, PVM lightweight wheels, LED lights all round, Full Yoshi exhaust system, Carbon cans, Yoshi rearsets, K&N air filter, Wilbers custom rear shock, Custom paint job. Skidmarx bellypan, Low profile rear seat hump, MotoX bars, all round (literally) nice guy.

(3) Bog standard BMW R1150RT.

(4) Boxes of many parts waiting to be made into 2 more TLS's.

Workshop in Welham Green near Hatfield in Hertfordshire - TEKMOTIVE - 01707 265000 - www.tekmotive.co.uk.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckshop Ted View Post
    iffy connections in the 4 way plug into the starter solenoid under the seat of the TLS can produce that effect as well. I know, you have a TLR.
    Still applies for the R... Cept the plug is off the solenoid on the left hand side battery area.
    ... listen to Six5 ...

Platinum Subscriber JoshCampbell's Avatar
    Power cutting off-img_0114.png
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    The TL1000R is the only bike that makes me nervous, because in my dreams it's the only bike I die on

I had a similar problem, found a bad connection under the seat. Start up the bike with all covers removed and then wiggle everything until the bike cuts out.
    Blue and white ones are faster

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckshop Ted View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rxf610 View Post
    Still applies for the R... Cept the plug is off the solenoid on the left hand side battery area.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshCampbell View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0114.PNG 
Views:	76 
Size:	405.4 KB 
ID:	59446

Given your symptoms Leadfoot, the starter relay connector would be the first thing I suspect. It is a common weak point in the TL loom, and especially so on a TL without BOTH the Charging Mod and the Headlight Relay Mod.

Those little terminals in the SR connector are inadequate for the load they need to handle, IMO. When they are shiny and new, their performance is OK, but as they age (all the OEM units out there are nearly 20 years old now), their reliability goes downhill unpredictably.
    January 2012 TLOTM & BBOTM

I think it’s the battery? Something doesn’t add up though. So I’ve checked all the connectors and the starter relay and it’s all good, it does have the charging mod done by the way.

Wouldn’t start this morning so I put a volt meter on the battery and it says 12.2v but no dash at all with the key on. Wiggled all the wires around the battery and nothing.

Took the battery cables off, fitted a spare battery and it fired straight up, doesn’t work with the original battery even though it has enough voltage in it.

Kinda weird but I hope that’s the reason. Never seen a battery do that before though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links