What could cause this damage? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What could cause this damage?

Quote Originally Posted by JoshCampbell View Post
    I'll ask him if he'll tear it apart for us, because I'm curious as hell now.
    If he doesn't want to and is in the UK I'll do it for him! I love doing post-mortems on wrecked engines

'97 TL1000S Streetfighter 'Evil Twin' - Full colour wiring diagrams - click here for UK TLS - click here for US TLS - click here for UK TLR - click here for US TLR

Platinum Subscriber JoshCampbell's Avatar
    I just spoke with him. He's going to be breaking it down next week. He'll also probably be signing onto the zone to participate in this thread.

NOTE: He's planning to swap engine cases.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    The TL1000R is the only bike that makes me nervous, because in my dreams it's the only bike I die on

Guna need more than just cases... Lol.

'97 TL1000S Streetfighter 'Evil Twin' - Full colour wiring diagrams - click here for UK TLS - click here for US TLS - click here for UK TLR - click here for US TLR

4. Remove Advertisements
    TLZone.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by The Ring-In View Post
    its a lot to imagine a tight chain could rip the back out of a tranny.
    Imagination: That's what I specialize in, since I have very little experience with the real thing......

The Ring-In and keaton like this.
    January 2012 TLOTM & BBOTM

Hmmmm....i had to put my glasses on....i see nice hair split up to the rear upper mount hole, push rod is off center, and hell of a rust on that output shaft....what gear and speed was it running when this happend?

Sam
    The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator
    Come across it a few times, basically the chain is too tight and as the rear suspension squats down the riders weight pulls the chain like a bow string and eventually pulls the bearing and gearbox output shaft out of the rear of the cases.

How many times have we posted about checking the chain tension AFTER tightening the axle nut !

How many times have we posted about swapping the axle so the nut is on the right hand side and then it doesn't tighten the chain after tightening.

How many times have we posted about the Widow Maker theory and tank slappers been because the chain was too tight and when the rear suspension got part way through it's travel it went solid and caused the tank slappers, Suzuki recalled the early TL's for the addition of a steering damper to try and prevent those idiots crashing or killing themselves...….
    wilf, tlsgazza, Six5 and 1 others like this.

TLOTM Nov 04, March 06, June 07, July 10, Aug 11, Sept 12 and TLOTY 2007 and 2010

PM Me for Help & Prices with GSXR/Busa Radial Fork Conversion Kits, 1080cc Big Bore Kits and Welded Clutch Centres

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Come across it a few times, basically the chain is too tight and as the rear suspension squats down the riders weight pulls the chain like a bow string and eventually pulls the bearing and gearbox output shaft out of the rear of the cases.

How many times have we posted .....

How many times have we posted ......

How many times have we posted ..... those idiots crashing or killing themselves...….
    Do I sense a little frustration Sam?

Still, good info as always!
    January 2012 TLOTM & BBOTM

Sam
    The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator
    Just a tiny bit

Quote Originally Posted by Six5 View Post
    Do I sense a little frustration Sam?

Still, good info as always!

TLOTM Nov 04, March 06, June 07, July 10, Aug 11, Sept 12 and TLOTY 2007 and 2010

PM Me for Help & Prices with GSXR/Busa Radial Fork Conversion Kits, 1080cc Big Bore Kits and Welded Clutch Centres

Platinum Subscriber JoshCampbell's Avatar
    I didn't know about swapping the castle nut to the right side. Bob's axle was set up like that. I'd just assumed it was another in a long list of things screwed up by the previous owner.

Who knows... probably still was, and they just got lucky hahaha...
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    The TL1000R is the only bike that makes me nervous, because in my dreams it's the only bike I die on

Quote Originally Posted by JoshCampbell View Post
    I didn't know about swapping the castle nut to the right side. Bob's axle was set up like that. I'd just assumed it was another in a long list of things screwed up by the previous owner.

Who knows... probably still was, and they just got lucky hahaha...
    Sounds like the PO did something right then.
    black TL1000Sx, owned from new, 01/08/1998, 86.000 miles.
    Red TL1000sv ,original 97 , bought from my girlfriend when we split owned by us since 2004. 30.000 miles.
    Honda XL500r. 1983. Owned since 1997. 30.000kms.
    r1200gs adventure with 106.000 miles.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links